Replies

• apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    sngresak wrote: »
    apullum wrote: »
    sngresak wrote: »
    NovusDies wrote: »
    Putting the scale away and weighing far less often can be beneficial to some people too. It certainly helped me. In my first 3 months of weight loss I only weighed 2 times. It taught me that weight loss will happen whether I watch it or not and to stop looking to the scale results for motivation.

I do weigh myself daily now but I attribute that to time and education.

Some people never weigh and they prefer it. They measure themselves in other ways. How clothing their clothing fits seems to be popular.

I'm considering doing away with the scale. Mentally I want to be 105 lbs again, but after giving birth to two babies in the past 3 years, my entire body shape has just changed, and not solely from weight gain. I'm sure I could get back down to that weight again, but it would take a lot of mental energy to stay there and obsessing over being a certain weight is not something I want my kids to see me worry about or feel like they should worry about.

I think it's very important to consider what your maintenance routine would look like. To maintain at 105, you would have a pretty low maintenance calorie allowance unless you earned more calories by working out. Depending on your stats, it may also require many, many months of meticulous logging to get to that weight.

Is 105 at the bottom of your optimal BMI range? If so, you may prefer to lose weight until you get into your optimal BMI range (if you aren't already there) and then start a recomp plan to build muscle and cut fat, rather than continuing to lose weight until you get to 105. Many people feel tempted to lose down to the very bottom of their optimal weight range, but recomp is generally more likely to give them the appearance they want.

Height: 5 feet, 2 inches

Weight: 130.4 pounds

Your BMI is 23.8, indicating your weight is in the Normal category for adults of your height. For your height, a normal weight range would be from 101 to 136 pounds.

I just don't personally feel comfortable with my weight right now. I'm technically in the "normal" range, but I still FEEL quite heavy, if that makes sense? I'm sure building some muscle tone and exercising more would help, it's just not realistic for my lifestyle right now. I'm hoping once the newborn gets a little older and isn't waking up as often throughout the night, I'll feel rested enough to want to get on a better workout routine than my current 30-45 minute yoga wind down routine each night.

Losing weight is often difficult when you are already in the optimal BMI range for your height, since your deficit will be very, very small, and very easy to wipe out with only a few small logging errors. For most of us, it requires weighing and logging every single thing we eat, and being patient for a long time, because the pace of weight loss at this point is quite slow and is easily masked on the scale by normal weight fluctuations. When I was close to my goal weight, I was losing at about the rate of 0.25 lb/week, which showed up as the scale moving down about a pound every 4-6 weeks.

Additionally, losing more fat does not guarantee the appearance you want, since we can't control where the body burns the fat from. Recomp can help with this because we can target muscle development in areas that we want to strengthen.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    As far as smart scales go - forget it. I'm an endurance cyclist, and have a very muscular lower body, and carry most of my fat in my middle. My (Aria) scale consistently gives me ~21% body fat reading, but I had a DEXA scan 2 months ago and I'm around 24%. I do weight training 3X a week and am in maintenance so not eating in a deficit. You really can't trust those numbers.

eta: I'm objectively getting stronger as I continue to train, as measured by the grade of the hills I can climb, but I'm not adding muscle, I'm strengthing the muscle I already have.