What do you do to beat the late night cravings?

Options
sue9900
sue9900 Posts: 10 Member
Sitting here watching tennis and thinking about food....any good stories you can share?

Replies

• mismab
    mismab Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I don't have a ton. Sometimes those can be awful. But the following suggestions are my go to's
    Change what you're doing.
    Sugar free gum is a great thing to have on hand when you're craving something sweet.
    Get up and brush your teeth.
    Break out the sugar free jello & light cool whip for a somewhat guilt less snack.

Walk the dog.

Good luck, would love to see what other people are doing!
  • guessrs
    guessrs Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I always have tea! I sip on it forever. I also allow fruit.
  • rjfrancis26
    rjfrancis26 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Late night has been the worst for me as far as cravings, I've been doing a shake with oatmeal and it has totally curbed late night snacking
    3/4 cup oatmeal
    one serving of protein powder
    ice
    water
    teaspoon of cocoa powder
    and depending on your calorie count you can add
    fruit
    Greek yogurt
    natural peanut butter
  • blessingking
    blessingking Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I brush my teeth!!! Lol!!!
  • dragonflyjill
    dragonflyjill Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I go to bed. Sometimes I realize I am more tired than hungry.
  • NicoleCooney92
    NicoleCooney92 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Maybe this is dumb, but I plan on an evening snack or treat around the 100-200 cal range. If I take it, I'm fine because I already planned on it for the day and I should be within my gosls. If I don't take it, then that just leaves me with a bigger deficit. Snack choices include: veggies and hummis, pretzels, apple, popcorn, smoothie, a glass of wine or beer (only one :drinker: ), yogurt, etc.
  • MichaelESCORCIA
    MichaelESCORCIA Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I typically get the munchies at this time (cough, cough), so i just eat a plum or cut up some watermelon. Both are tasty and low in calories
  • Psogras
    Psogras Posts: 6
    Options
    I go with tea. But also sometimes no-sugar added popsicles.
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I drink some lemon water and it helps. I also psyche myself by looking at my reports and calories. (Another reason I love this site) It's easier for me not to accumulate calories than it is to burn them.
  • tilmoph
    tilmoph Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I build mine into my routine. I like having honey roasted peanuts when I go to bed. So if I start getting hungry, my first question is always "do I want this more than I want my peanuts?" The answer, usually, is no.
  • janupshaw
    janupshaw Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I save room for a snack! I just ate an apple with peanut butter (280 cal). If I don't have many calories left, beef jerky works. If I'm out of calories but still hungry, I drink a glass of water & go to bed.
  • lovelyx091
    lovelyx091 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Water. Lots of water. Iced tea if I have it, mainly water though.
  • whitnizzle
    whitnizzle Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hot tea, or cucumber salad (sweetened with cinnamon, ginger, and a dash of honey), or brushing teeth. Going to bed definitely helps too lol
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    I scratch the itch, it's rational. What did you do when you were a teenager and your parents told you NOT to have a party while they were out of town? You had a party. As adults our wiring doesn't change as much as we may think it does. If I tell you not to think about a double fudge brownie with a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream covered in caramel sauce, you're going to instantly picture the gooey goodness in your mind.

Scratch the itch so it doesn't drive you insane.

Rigger
  • calpeachmfp
    calpeachmfp Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I have begun reading these forums and am encouraging others . . . you help yourself when you help others! : )
  • Roxiemini
    Options
    I drink a small glass of almond milk. Seems to make my cravings go away! :)
  • crazyanny
    crazyanny Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!
    I tend to stick with a protein based snack. Last. Night I had 3 crackers and very thin slices of low fat cheese. But I had this snack as I'd accumulated extra calorie allowance from my 1.5hr gym training session.

If I hadn't trained it would have been anything sugar free - like a glass of sugar free squash made with sparkling water!

So try to plan ahead especially if you know you get the cravings at particular times of the month. Build in some more time to exercise so that you don't feel so guilty!

All the best!:smile:
  • crisb2
    crisb2 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Lots of water and go to sleep!
  • skinnymalinkyscot
    skinnymalinkyscot Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Big glass of water and go to bed, if Im lying there unable to sleep I get up and have another large drink and a boiled egg (70 calories and protein to curb hunger) as I dont particularly like an egg at bedtime its enough to keep me in bed most nights . Sometimes if Im feeling very hungry and do not want egg I have a cup of hot chocolate and then bed, The solution for me is go to sleep, I cant eat anything if Im asleep
  • ingeh
    ingeh Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    lots of fluids and maybe a little workout, 20mins at the least to kill any hunger. I never feel hungry/crave food after a good workout.
    also keep busy, clean the house and get things ready for the next day and then watch tv/film to keep your mind busy