Question on training during Intermittent Fasting

Options
I've done IF for consistently for a few months in the past and it helped me lose a lot of weight during my cut (did a 16/8 hr window). I would like to start it again for my cut however there's some questions i still have about it. Especially about the training side of it... When would the optimal time be to train exactly? I kept training early as possible so maybe an hour or 2 after i wake up since i feel the most awake then. Always take coffee in the morning to keep me fresh and ready to workout. However I always felt tired a few hours after those heavy resistance training in the morning. The effects of IF are more alertness, energy and concentration during the fasting window etc but it feels like it's depleted once you workout and i make sure to have the food when the fasting window closes so i don't go eating post-workout meals. But when I eat food in the opening window, i start to feel like a zombie, feeling so tired and even more lethargic than before. I try not having too much coffee during the fast because otherwise i start to experience some level of insomnia which really messes up my sleeping patterns. Some weeks with consistent 4hr naps and i wake up so awake, which is annoying when you want to hit an optimal 8hrs sleep. Then it leads to having not such good workouts. Anyone have any tips on when to train during IF? I think i may have tried having a workout before the end of the fast so i can time the post-workout meal as soon as the fasting window finishes but by that time i've completely shattered and the workouts feel even worse than getting 4hrs sleep and working out in the morning :/

Replies

• pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,226 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Experienced IF practitioner here and experienced training fasted, both heavy barbells and cardiovascular conditioning.

You have to discover it on your own. It’s likely you’ll need a ramp up period for your body to adjust.

My first time doing IF was 2009 when I was training in the Olympic lifts. I would train in mid-afternoon at the tail end if a 18-22 fasting period. I’ll be honest with you, I remember being light-headed when doing heavy squat cleans and coming out of the bottom position. But, after time, my body adjusted.

Don’t do those lifts anymore but now I run 60 minutes on Sunday fasted. Because I’m experienced, I know what to expect. If I was competing, and I’m not, it wouldn’t be in a fasted state.

Hope this helps. Experiment and discover what’s best for YOU.

Wishing you the best.

p.s. Visit our Intermittent Fasting group here at MFP and let me know if you have any additional questions.