Strong Curves Barbell Pad

Options
I know a lot of people have done Strong Curves. I'm currently doing the advanced program.

I currently use this pad
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01A86Z884/ref=nav_timeline_asin?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
Because it's what my gym has.

But I'm not doing that much weight and I'm already having bruising pain on my hip bones. I decided maybe to buy my own pad, I was looking at this one:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FRSTEXE/ref=nav_timeline_asin?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

But the price is really high. I only paid $25 for my lifting gloves, which was an investment. I only spent $5 on my headphones. Will it really make enough of a difference to justify the cost? Or is there something I can do that would suffice (towel? yoga mat?)

Thanks!

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I have the Hampton bar pad and it is ok but for me not as good as the Squat Sponge which is similar to the first one you linked. I find Hampton a bit bulky too. You can try it out but most people love the Squat Sponge, although it does wear down over continued use.

I still get some pain but it is mostly from friction of the bar going up and down vs the weight itself.
  • Anna022119
    Anna022119 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    My gym has the 2nd one you mentioned and I have never had any trouble.

I do SC advanced and hip thrust over 200 lbs.

Hope this helps?
    Ask the gym to invest in it?
    Mine does buy new products every now and again.
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    My thought process is that the second one is not worth the additional investment if it isn't significantly different than what my gym already has. I haven't found anything to convince me that it is significantly better, it's just frustrating.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Ahhh... I just purchased the first one b/c my friend and I were doing squats and the bar ends up being on a bone at the base of my neck, which isn't painful until the next day where I have bruising. I grabbed it for that and for hip thrusts (when I get to that point of using weight). Sign... now I feel like I should have purchased something else if you feel like it's not protecting you during the hip thrusts.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I got one from Amazon...around $10. Maybe yes4all??? I'll have to go back and look. My gloves were only $7 from Walmart, gold's gym tacky gloves.
  • ExistingFish
    Options
    jdhcm2006 wrote: »
    Ahhh... I just purchased the first one b/c my friend and I were doing squats and the bar ends up being on a bone at the base of my neck, which isn't painful until the next day where I have bruising. I grabbed it for that and for hip thrusts (when I get to that point of using weight). Sign... now I feel like I should have purchased something else if you feel like it's not protecting you during the hip thrusts.

It has worked for two weeks, I'm not sure why it is bothering me now, I've only gone up 10lbs each week. Maybe I just did something different.

They both have good reviews, don't let my specific experience scare you off.
  • ExistingFish
    Options
    I got one from Amazon...around $10. Maybe yes4all??? I'll have to go back and look. My gloves were only $7 from Walmart, gold's gym tacky gloves.

Yeah I have two pair of Walmart/Target gloves (I think one from each store) that were $7-10. I don't like them.

I got callus guards instead, they are much more comfortable for me lifting, no thick padding or loss of sensation on the palms.
    https://www.fitfour.com/collections/callus-guards/products/fitfour-pro-glove-1
    But expensive. I love them though, worth every penny. I just don't have a lot of pennies.