Physical and time limitations

Options
2»

Replies

• 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    My dog's reactivity is all fear based. He's a sweet guy when there is nothing triggering him. Unfortunately he has many triggers: dogs, animals, kids, adults, vehicles, bicycles, loud noises, unexpected changes in the routine, etc. He was found as a stray with an embedded chain and an embedded collar. He also had a broken hip. He now has a mechanical hip and scars all over from his past trauma. He spent from age 1 to age 5 in and out (mostly in) a shelter. He is very neurotic. His separation anxiety is the worst of any dog I've ever seen. He doesn't tear up the house though, he tears up me when I try to leave without him.

He's also very smart and sweet. He takes his own laundry out of the dryer and knows lots of tricks and has had many years of training.

Same. Brady came to us with a broken tail and scars on his neck from a wire or chain. I think he was a "failed" hunting dog that was dumped? Who knows.
    I am sure your pup is a sweetheart (in his own way). People don't understand. I tell them that I have this dog because he needs me, not because I need a dog. They dont get it. 🤷‍♀️
  • texasredreb
    texasredreb Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    I get it! My only regret with having him is that I can only have him. Last year, my shelter euthanized about 12 perfectly healthy dogs with severe behavioral issues. I wish I could have taken every single one of them, but Willie has to be an only pet. Two of those dogs were very special to me. I worked with them intensively for a year. They break my heart still.
  • 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I get it! My only regret with having him is that I can only have him. Last year, my shelter euthanized about 12 perfectly healthy dogs with severe behavioral issues. I wish I could have taken every single one of them, but Willie has to be an only pet. Two of those dogs were very special to me. I worked with them intensively for a year. They break my heart still.

Luckily my guy is fine with properly introduced dogs in our home. So we also have a 10 year old beagle - and we adopted a 14 year old westie a couple of years ago to live out his retirement. (I cant understand how anyone can dump a 14 year old dog at s shelter - but he was a blessing to us for the 18 months we had him.)
    I am also a sucker for shelter pets...
  • kosseychick
    kosseychick Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I go to the pool. I have osteoarthritis in my knee has well. Swimming and aquafit seem to be best for me :)