DHA tan or UV rays?

Options
Sunshine_And_Sand
Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
Do you prefer an actual UV rays tan (tanning bed or laying outside) or a DHA tan (sunless tanners) and why? Or would you rather be pale and why?
Me: I have been through phases where I wanted a tan, mostly high school. I am able to tan, but I'm naturally light complected, so it always took forever compared to my friends since I had to tan slowly to avoid burning, and it faded a lot faster for me, too much work and money for the pay off really so I just stay pale most of the time. It's also bad for your skin. I love being outside though, so I just end up going through a lot of sunscreen.
Over the last few years, when I've randomly got the urge to be tan, I've been using sunless tanner.
So far, I've tried and liked Sun Goddess and Jergen's Natural Glow gradual tan. I also have some Banana Boat I want to try next.
What are your favorite sunless tanners and why? Also, you can share any tips you have for people who are thinking of pouring on the DHA.

Replies

• Glazed_and_Confused
    Glazed_and_Confused Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    I'm super pale and don't tan. I've had 2nd degree sunburnss twice so I steer clear from tanning since it increases skin cancer risks immensely. I never found a natural looking sunless tanner so I just embrace my paleness.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    Another pale one here. I have Celtic skin so I don't tan well, mostly just pink and blotchy. Or freckles. I've used sunscreen on my face 365 for the last 25 or 30 years.

I hate the smell of sunless tanners. I've used a few of the ones that don't have that characteristic odour. My favourite is an Avon gradual tan gel.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    Not that you can tell by my picture, but I was a freckled red head. I hit the Tanning beds every year about this time, so that I won't burn during the summer. On vacations or riding my motorcycle. Coincidentally, I hit the Tanning Salon, for the first time this year, last night.
  • caco_ethes
    caco_ethes Posts: 11,962 Member
    Options
    Add me to the perpetually pale list. I have to have my skin checked every six months by a derm and I’ve also had melasma issues so getting a tan isn’t remotely tempting.

St Tropez One Day Only is pretty good stuff. It doesn’t actually tan you so it doesn’t smell bad and it’s truly water proof.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    Tanning beds are so bad. I dont want skin cancer or wrinkles. I wear spf 30 on cloudy days and spf 100 on sunny or beach days. Inevitably color still reaches me even if I reapply every hour. I don't mind a slight tan that I get in summer. It looks nice. It is not intentional though. I embrace my paleness.
  • sammidelvecchio
    sammidelvecchio Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    I love sun kissed skin B) I am of Mediterranean descent, with olive skin, so I tan pretty easily. I like tanning beds, but do not use them excessively. I also make sure to use the best lotion and protection when I do use them. Because I also have a lot of tattoos, I have to buy special lotion for those. I'm 31 and no wrinkles in sight for me yet, even with all the sun exposure i've had all these years (i'm a total sun bunny from May to September). I do like sunless tanner in the colder months if I have a wedding or something to go to. I really like Bondi Sands and Jergens Natural Glow. The application of the sunless tanner is what makes me not use them very much. It's time consuming and my boyfriend has to help me lol
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I tan fairly easily, but if I am outside I will wear sunscreen especially on my face and chest. I don't really sunbathe anymore now that I am older and wiser. I prefer sunless tans to keep up colour since I feel so much better with a tan. I like St.Tropez for light colour and Loving Tan (2hr express mousse) for a nice deep rich overall tan, it takes some trial and error and getting used to but the results are amazing.
  • RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    I’m half Hispanic so I turn bronze super easily even when wearing sunscreen. I don’t tan on purpose though, it’s just the sun that hits me when I’m running and swimming outdoors B)
  • Just_Mel_
    Just_Mel_ Posts: 3,992 Member
    Options
    I know it's bad, but a little time in tanning beds actually help my eczema. I don't do it near as often as I used to. I guess in my old age I don't really care about having pale legs in the summertime like I used to. I've noticed with prom season coming up, teens aren't fake baking anymore because they can't under the age of 18. I think this is a good trend.
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    Options
    I remember as a teen slathering on baby oil and climbing onto the roof to try to tan.

I've never tanned well, and like my pasty skin now. I get a few freckles if I try, but I don't think I have much melanin or something, I am not capable of tanning.

I wear sunscreen on my face and neck every day. In the summer on my arms, hands and feet
    ...never on my legs tho, 'cause that's just too much trouble?
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions everyone! I'll have to look at some of those sunless tanners. I have blonde hair and a pink tint to my skin, even though I hardly ever slip up and get sunburned anymore. That coloring may be a factor, but on me all the sunless tanners I've tried so far give me a color that looks pretty much the same as I got from the tanning bed in high school and college. Also, even when I had real tans in the past, I still had to wear sunscreen to keep from burning.
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Options
    Vikka_V wrote: »
    I remember as a teen slathering on baby oil and climbing onto the roof to try to tan.

I've never tanned well, and like my pasty skin now. I get a few freckles if I try, but I don't think I have much melanin or something, I am not capable of tanning.

I wear sunscreen on my face and neck every day. In the summer on my arms, hands and feet

To the bolded, I find I really like the spray on sunscreen. It saves lots of time for sure, and the mosquitoes leave me alone when I have it on. To me, the coppertone kind sprays on the best and most evenly and dries pretty fast. I usually use the spf 50 because that's what the tear free kids stuff in the green bottle comes in. Spraying myself with something different than I'm using on the kids is usually just too time consuming when we're all trying to get ready to get in the pool =)
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    Options
    Vikka_V wrote: »

To the bolded, I find I really like the spray on sunscreen. It saves lots of time for sure, and the mosquitoes leave me alone when I have it on. To me, the coppertone kind sprays on the best and most evenly and dries pretty fast. I usually use the spf 50 because that's what the tear free kids stuff in the green bottle comes in. Spraying myself with something different than I'm using on the kids is usually just too time consuming when we're all trying to get ready to get in the pool =)

I use baby sunscreen, figure it's the gentlest
    ...but maybe I'm wrong, I guess babies can't tell you
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    I always burn with spray sunscreen. They just arent as good as lotions although they sure are convenient.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    I don't layout and purposely tan and I don't wear any kind of fake tan. I'm outside a lot from spring through mid to late fall cycling, hiking, and hanging out in the pool. I wear sunscreen but inevitably get tan. I can be pretty dark by August. I rarely burn and have never had a bad sunburn. I have olive skin.
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    edited April 2019
    Options
    nooshi713 wrote: »
    I always burn with spray sunscreen. They just arent as good as lotions although they sure are convenient.

I always burned with banana boat spray sunscreen but never the coppertone, which is weird because as far as the lotions I always found the banana boat works best. I do notice I sometimes tan (well tan for me) through the spray but never the lotions so it probably isn't covering as well.
    Also, I found some of the spray sunscreens still needed to be rubbed in, which defeats the purpose of using a spray in the first place...
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I don't layout and purposely tan and I don't wear any kind of fake tan. I'm outside a lot from spring through mid to late fall cycling, hiking, and hanging out in the pool. I wear sunscreen but inevitably get tan. I can be pretty dark by August. I rarely burn and have never had a bad sunburn. I have olive skin.

Must be nice. My DH is the same way. He gets a great tan through sunscreen and rarely burns. Even when he does burn because too stubborn or forgets sunscreen sometimes, I don't ever remember him peeling, and then he's always even tanner the next day.
    He does have more freckles and wrinkles than me (same age as me) so I guess that's an advantage I have...
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    I'm Scotch-Irish by descent, so not the darkest ever, but I don't tend to burn either, which is nice. I don't lay out to get sun deliberately, but I tend to get a decent bit during my runs (I don't wear sunscreen during them as my Vitamin D levels are a little low and I'm trying to boost them at the moment). If i were going to be out in the sun for an extended time (beach or pool, for example), I would use sunscreen, but not otherwise.
  • GimmeAMalt
    GimmeAMalt Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Tanning beds are def a no-no for me. Had to have a dermatologist cut a couple spots off of me this year from tanning like an idiot in my teens and twenties. I still get pretty dark in the summer when I wear SPF 90.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

Must be nice. My DH is the same way. He gets a great tan through sunscreen and rarely burns. Even when he does burn because too stubborn or forgets sunscreen sometimes, I don't ever remember him peeling, and then he's always even tanner the next day.
    He does have more freckles and wrinkles than me (same age as me) so I guess that's an advantage I have...

I think I've had a bad enough burn to peel maybe once or twice in my life. Usually it just gets a little rosy and then turns brown.