Century Ride - Tips/Tricks

Options
Alright, give it to me straight and tell me if I'm pathetic for wanting to try this or if I have a shot.

A goal of mine this year is to ride a century ride - 100 miles. However, I'm only currently on the bike 1 hour a few times a week at spin class. The ride I'd like to shoot for is a little over 2 months away. Farthest I've ever gone is 65 miles, but that was almost 2 years ago. Am I setting myself up for failure? Can I do it? Any tips for training (besides getting on the dang bike?)

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    I am a new cyclist, just got a road bike at the end of the season last fall. before that, I hadn't been on a bike in 35 years and that was just tooling around the neighborhood. My goal is to ride a 30 mile event by the end of June. I feel I will be able to make that and you might be more ambitious/capable than I am to get to 100 in 2 months.

There are tons of training plans on the web. Here is one for 100 miles in 8 weeks. Take a look at it and see if it seems doable given your current starting point.
    https://www.bicycling.com/training/a20026691/eight-week-training-plan-to-ride-a-century/

I'm sure our biking veterans will weigh in soon with lots of practical advice. Have fun!
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Spin class is exercise, it isn't riding a bike. You stand up rarely on a moving bike (sprints and steep hills mostly, occasionally to stretch), you have to pace yourself to last 100 miles vs doing a short, intense workout, you have to deal with navigation, traffic, obstacles, hydration which means finding water along your route, group dynamics, hills, wind, etc.

I would recommend stopping spin class because that time would be put to better use on the bike. I would also heavily recommend riding a lot more than you currently are. Riding 100 miles per week will make your century a lot more comfortable. (And the weather is getting nicer in most parts of the world where people live.) Besides the athletic part of this, you're going to have to find a nutrition strategy that works for you.

Get fitted. Something you can tolerate for an hour is going to be real tough after six hours.

Taper before the event, load up on complex carbs for several days before hand, eat around 250 calories an hour of sugar.

Have fun!! :smile:
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    It's not complicated but it does require dedicating time to unless you want it to be a truly hateful experience.
    Good bike fit and a decent bike makes it a lot easier - I did my first Century on an uncomfortable hybrid, that hurt.

Build up the volume (miles) and duration steadily. Unless you are pushing for a certain time the biggest factors are endurance and comfort (ok - perhaps better phrased as not too much discomfort) rather than high fitness and speed. In eight weeks you can progress massively if you are already bike fit and a reasonable level of CV fitness.

Have a think about the terrain you will be tackling as well - if it's an organised event there's a tendency to route you via all the challenging hills in the areas you pass though. (18% hill climb 110 miles into a 128 mile event was really charming!).

My training preference for long distance events is four rides a week - one long (increasing distance weekly), one hilly, two moderate duration and speed.

British Heart Foundation have some excellent training plans if you want a structured approach as they run a lot of cycling events and cater for the not so experienced riders. Tag me if you would like me to find a link for you.
  • runnermom419
    runnermom419 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I do have a road bike that I love - Just need to get back on it. Been running a lot lately (20 - 25 miles a week).
  • garystrickland357
    garystrickland357 Posts: 598 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Alright, give it to me straight and tell me if I'm pathetic for wanting to try this or if I have a shot.

A goal of mine this year is to ride a century ride - 100 miles. However, I'm only currently on the bike 1 hour a few times a week at spin class. The ride I'd like to shoot for is a little over 2 months away. Farthest I've ever gone is 65 miles, but that was almost 2 years ago. Am I setting myself up for failure misery? Can I do it? Any tips for training (besides getting on the dang bike?)

I'm assuming that you are doing this for fun. I think you have a few challenges ahead...

First, spin class is great for fitness but it is not the same as getting on the road. In the real world you have headwinds, changing terrain (hills to climb), others cyclists, and traffic to deal with.

A century will take you 5-7 hours to complete. Your *kitten* is going to scream at you if you don't extend your time in the saddle to prepare. Is 8 weeks enough? I don't know - for sure start extending some time in the saddle.

If you will be riding for 5-7 hours fueling is a skill you'll need to practice. If you start cramping up during the ride you'll either be forced to drop out or be miserable. If you eat too little you'll bonk - if you eat too much you'll have gastric issues.

On most century rides it is to your advantage to ride in a group. You'll conserve energy and ride faster. Problem is you have to ride in a group to acquire those skills. Honestly, it's dangerous for you and the other riders if you don't know what you're doing. You don't HAVE to ride in a group - but you will be slower and be much more tired.

What kind of bike do you have? The answer to that question is important.

Lastly - respect the distance. Can you build enough fitness in 8 weeks to complete a ride that long? I don't know - much depends on your age, current fitness, and current endurance.

So again, is your goal to enjoy the experience or complete the experience regardless of pain and discomfort?

You ask for honesty. I doubt 8 weeks is enough time to adequately prepare since you currently do zero riding outside. I may be wrong - I often am.

I would encourage you to start training. If you're ready then yea! If not, pick a different century in the future and prepare for it.

• runnermom419
    runnermom419 Posts: 366 Member
    Options

A goal of mine this year is to ride a century ride - 100 miles. However, I'm only currently on the bike 1 hour a few times a week at spin class. The ride I'd like to shoot for is a little over 2 months away. Farthest I've ever gone is 65 miles, but that was almost 2 years ago. Am I setting myself up for failure misery? Can I do it? Any tips for training (besides getting on the dang bike?)

I'm assuming that you are doing this for fun. I think you have a few challenges ahead...

First, spin class is great for fitness but it is not the same as getting on the road. In the real world you have headwinds, changing terrain (hills to climb), others cyclists, and traffic to deal with.

A century will take you 5-7 hours to complete. Your *kitten* is going to scream at you if you don't extend your time in the saddle to prepare. Is 8 weeks enough? I don't know - for sure start extending some time in the saddle.

If you will be riding for 5-7 hours fueling is a skill you'll need to practice. If you start cramping up during the ride you'll either be forced to drop out or be miserable. If you eat too little you'll bonk - if you eat too much you'll have gastric issues.

On most century rides it is to your advantage to ride in a group. You'll conserve energy and ride faster. Problem is you have to ride in a group to acquire those skills. Honestly, it's dangerous for you and the other riders if you don't know what you're doing. Do don't HAVE to ride in a group - but you will be slower and be much more tired.

What kind of bike do you have? The answer to that question is important.

Lastly - respect the distance. Can you build enough fitness in 8 weeks to complete a ride that long? I don't know - much depends on your age, current fitness, and current endurance.

So again, is your goal to enjoy the experience or complete the experience regardless of pain and discomfort?

You ask for honesty. I doubt 8 weeks is enough time to adequately prepare since you currently do zero riding outside. I may be wrong - I often am.

I would encourage you to start training. If you're ready then yea! If not, pick a different century in the future and prepare for it.

Trek road bike. Just been focused on everything else fitness-wise. It's not like I'm coming from zero fitness to century ride in 8 weeks. I am currently running 20-25 miles (half indoors/half outdoors) right now, fitness classes a few days a week, and strength training 1-2 days a week.

I may just see where the next 6 weeks takes me. I can always decide to do the 100K or less on race day depending on how things go.

I appreciate the insight.
  • AgileK9
    AgileK9 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Your fit, yes, but riding a bike for extended miles is a whole 'nother beast! I rode a lot two years ago, mountain and road, but took the winter off of riding but still exercised quite a bit. Getting back on the bike in the spring was murder on the neck, back, delicate bits to name a few things. This year, I bought a bike trainer and rode the heck out of it. My first ride outdoors this spring was a 17 mile ride and I got off my bike with no pain or issues.

I guess what I'm trying to say, and I think others are too, is that no amount of fitness can prepare you for the actual saddle time you need to be able to ride a century in remote comfort. I agree with the others, follow one of the century training plans and get on your bike. Even if you don't finish the training plan in time, you will be much better off than if you are running or spinning.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Draft, if at all possible. Drafting lets the rider in the back use up to 30% less energy and the rider in the front gets their workload reduced about 5%.

Never do this without the other cyclist knowing and agreeing, that's rude and dangerous. Don't draft people who don't move smoothly and predictably. If the bikes touch unexpectedly it's the rider in the back who's going down. It's polite but not required to take your turn pulling. Only do that if you're up for it, and you're expected to point out obstacles etc if you do.

Group rides between now and then will do you a world of good. Riding in a pack is a skill all on its own.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    I also suggest to look at the amount of elevation and see if you can find the steepest grade you'll be facing (most of the century sponsors publish RideWithGPS profiles and the information is available there). In the past I've been well-prepared for the amount of elevation over a course but not the steepness of the hills. Make sure to tackle some hills on your training rides with similar grades.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    Everyone essentially said what I was going to say. I think what's especially important for you is to not underestimate the distance, realize that just because you have some level of aerobic fitness that doesn't mean that it's bike fitness, and start training specifically for the century yesterday.

I would find an 8 week century plan and follow it. Googling the phrase, "8 week century plan" will net you a number of results.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    .. And check the cutoff time. A century at a leisurely pace is very, very different from not.

And ditto on checking the elevation profile.

You'll want to work out how much /often you need to eat to avoid bonking (also drinking and electrolytes), work out any saddle /shorts issues, get used to group riding and riding at the required pace for the event, get used to hills similar in grade to the event, figure out how to conveniently carry any extra stuff you might need for the event (extra layers, fuel, etc).
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,890 Member
    Options

A goal of mine this year is to ride a century ride - 100 miles. However, I'm only currently on the bike 1 hour a few times a week at spin class. The ride I'd like to shoot for is a little over 2 months away. Farthest I've ever gone is 65 miles, but that was almost 2 years ago. Am I setting myself up for failure? Can I do it? Any tips for training (besides getting on the dang bike?)

1. Get on a bicycle outside. Even if you just ride outside on the weekends. Start with 1 hour each day on Saturday and Sunday ... see how far you go and how you feel, and build from there.
    2. Make sure your bicycle fits you. If you're not sure what a well-fitting bicycle should feel like, there are books in the library that will give you tips, or online sites, or go to a bicycle shop and ask them to fit you on your bicycle.

I've got more tips for later, but let us know how those first two things go. :)

• aokoye
    Options
    My second round of tip giving? Listen to @Machka9 - she's done more long distance cycling than likely anyone on this forum.

Also, since someone mentioned it, do start trying to figure out your nutrition strategy now, especially with regards to what you can eat/drink. Trying a drink or food that is new to you/new to you in that context is not a bad idea. Had I only tried Nuun during my century last year, I would likely not have finished the ride. The same goes for clothing, your saddle, and any adjustments you make on the bike in terms of things like saddle height. Don't wear new clothes the day of your century, figure out what is comfortable for you, what won't cause chafing and/or how to avoid chafing, etc.

Lastly (for now) learn some basic bike maintenance if you haven't already. You don't want to be stranded on the side of the road not knowing how to change a flat or not knowing how to do so quickly. I helped multiple people with newish expensive bikes fix dropped chains. Yes there was SAG on the route, but it was way quicker for me to just stop and help and it took me next to no time (I may have felt a little differently if it was on a very steep hill). I'm sure the people who I offered help to (who clearly needed help and gratefully took my offer) would have felt a little better had they have known how to deal with it themselves.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    As the thread is sounding a little negative here's my positive experience of my second (and 3rd) Century with an abbreviated training period.

My Mum died of heart failure after months of illness in middle August and I decided to ride a heart charity sponsored ride as a memorial and fund raiser to take something positive from her death - 114 mile ride first weekend in October with only 7 weeks to prepare. Effectively have to take one week off that for taper week.

I had reasonable base fitness but fairly detrained and only riding about 12 hours a month up to that point, mostly short rides.

Tried to follow the last 7 weeks of a Century training plan but most of my riding had to be at the weekend which wasn't ideal. Then a friend volunteered to lend me a road bike and join me on the event. Very generous of him but as he's an exceptional rider (24hr racer etc...) it put me under more pressure not just to complete but to ride at a pace that didn't bore him to death.

Felt unsure if I could finish the course but knew I had to so to calm my nerves I did a solo Century last weekend of September. Then tapered down ahead of the event knowing I would finish even if it hurt.
    As it happened we finished in the top 20 of 300 riders despite me really hanging on for the last 20 miles.

My mate could see my legs had gone and I was suffering and kept encouraging me to keep a steady rhythm but warning "just one last hill". He kept repeating the "just one last hill" warning making me more and more nervous as the miles ticked off.
    Until there it was - and it was a lovely long downhill, if I could have caught him I would have strangled him! :smiley:
  • FTPUP
    FTPUP Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Check out Time Crunched Cyclist. Lots of century plans in that book. The training is based on heart rate so you won't need a power meter. Good luck- stay hydrated and fed. I try to eat 2 shot blocks every 20 minutes. You can do it- you just have to train yourself up!
  • aokoye
    Options
    I should note - I think this is totally doable, you just need to train smart.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,890 Member
    Options
    Yes, I also think it is doable. But getting on your bicycle outside and going for that 1-hour ride is a first step to see where you are now.

Then a plan can be made. :)
  • cheriej2042
    cheriej2042 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Yes you can do it but you need to get a plan now and stick to it!
    You need to start riding outside (not on the spin bike) each day. I would make a plan to ride x miles/ day. Start with 15-25 miles and vary the days with longer rides on the weekend or when you can set aside the time. You should be able to ride 65 miles before the century. What is your nutritional and hydration plan? Make sure you try those plans out prior to the event. Have you reviewed the route? Do they have supported rest stops? If a lot of people ride in this try to find someone or a group that is at your level and ride with them (don’t draft behind people you don’t know it is annoying and dangerous). It’s definitely part fitness/part endurance/ part mind over matter. I’ve completed some crazy endurance events I never thought I could do but with a plan you can do it. Also if you have a local bike club ride with them. You can really improve just by riding with good cyclists plus they probably have weekly/weekday rides so you can get your miles in while having new friends. Also make sure you have the correct gear (padded cycling shorts/pants, maybe extra pair of socks )Good luck!
  • solorex
    solorex Posts: 696 Member
    Options
    You're definitely not pathetic for wanting to try to do it. It's a worthy personal achievement goal. 8 weeks may or may not be an attainable goal, but you never know until you try. Find and work a plan then give yourself a good personal evaluation a week before the event (you don't want to do any long rides the week leading up to it, recovery rides are great for keeping loose but not wearing the muscles out). If you need to slide your target date out for your century, then so be it. You said there is a metric century option, so that is a great fall back plan that should be easily attainable if your working toward the full century.

One thing I didn't see mentioned, was check into local cycling clubs. Yes some are definitely race oriented, and those won't be of interest to you, but a lot of clubs will have riders of all abilities and the group rides will frequently have multiple route options (distance/difficulty). Club group rides give you the chance to connect/network w/ local cyclists and give you the opportunity to get used to riding in smaller groups. Who knows, maybe someone else is working towards a similar goal. I know I'm not everybody, but I have found having a riding partner makes cycling even more enjoyable. I know when I had a string of circumstances happen to me, ending w/ my riding partner moving New Mexico, my motivation to ride went down the drain and ended up being off the bike until this past winter.

Try different saddles if your current one isn't comfortable after a couple hours. A lot of bike shops will let you purchase a saddle and try it for a few days, then allow you to credit/exchange towards a different saddle if the first one didn't work for you. Just keep in mind that more expensive doesn't automatically mean better. Everyone's rear is a little different, so one particular saddle that works really well for one person isn't necessarily going to be the ideal fit for the next.

Lots of good info above on plans, nutrition & bike fittings. There is a lot of info on the interwebs for bike fitting. If you are competent w/ a tape measure and an allen wrench you can get yourself pretty well fit w/o spending a couple hundred dollars on a professional bike fitting. The Zinn books are great for learning basic maintenance/repairs and also include a chapter on fitting. Some websites have fit calculators you can play with too (I utilize one from one of my online shops). One thing to remember w/ any any fitting is the numbers aren't the holy grail. They are designed to get you in the ballpark...then from there it's reading your body and what it's comfortable with. It may take a couple adjustments and some miles to get it dialed in...but that is something that should be done even with a professional fit.

I'm trying to get myself into a position ride a century this summer as well (my longest to date has been 85mi years and years ago)...but I have not ridden in over 15 years so I'm pretty much building up from ground zero. I'm currently using workout plans on Zwift (running through the Gran Fondo plan now) to work on my base as I'm extremely time limited now due to work (I can usually manage to get in 3-4 sessions a week). I want to try to catch the local club rides when I can (made my first one since '02 this past Monday) to get used to riding around others again...and it helps to pass the time on longer rides when there is someone to chat with. I'm going to get a couple other large group rides in this summer starting with a 44 mile route option for a cancer fundraiser in June...speaking of, I still need to make reservations for it. I would've gone longer, but that is the longest option available for that day. Then try to hit another big organized ride a month...with hopefully the Tour de Whidbey being my century in August. We'll see if I'm ready for it by then with everything else I have going on this summer. :lol:

Don't forget the most important part....

HAVE FUN & ENJOY THE RIDE!

(sorry, I really didn't intend this reply to turn into a novel. :lol: )
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    If you find you have chafing issues with padded cycling shorts, then here is one option for the road bike: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01H71AZ36/ (the edges of the chamois pads in cycling shorts always cause me major chafing issues). I rode with this cover and non-padded shorts for all/most of last season, and this seat cover is amazing.