Gallstones diet

Options
I am 33 and I was diagnosed with gallstones recently. First few months I had attacks almost every week. Letter, when I learned what food causes pain and started to avoid it, I was pain-free for about 4 months. Until this week when I got too relaxed with food.

Doctor's recommendation is surgery and removal of the gallbladder. I know it's the standard way of treating stones, medicine is clear there. I am not scared of the surgery itself, but I wonder if there are some long term side effects of it.
For example, is it expected to develop liver or pancreas problems down the road?

Since weight loss is related to increased risk of developing gallstones, I am probably not the only one here with the problem. I thought we could share information and maybe help each other.

On many topics, this community was a sane oasis in the chaos of questionable information available on the internet.

Has anyone ever reversed gallstones?
Is diet a valid alternative to surgery?

Replies

• RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    Genetics is a factor in my family, and I'm trying to prevent them with diet, but once they developed, my grandma, aunt, and mom (all on my mom's side of the family) had to get theirs removed. My mom is quite fearful of surgery so it must have been quite necessary for her. None of them appear to have had any significant issues relating to their gallstone, although I only know my mom's overall status more closely, and it's been less than a decade since she's had hers, so time could tell. My aunt and grandma never had major issues relating to the surgery or lack of gallbladder afterwards, fortunately. My grandma lived to 92.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,951 Member
    Options
    My OH had his gallbladder out over 6 years ago. He reduced fat for about three days post-surgery but since then hasn't followed any of the recommendations here https://health.clevelandclinic.org/5-ways-to-avoid-discomfort-after-your-gallbladder-removal/ and hasn't had any issues.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I put off the surgery for quite some time but in the end had to have my gall bladder removed. The only side effect I've noticed was that I can't eat alot of high fat food so Keto is miserable for me (I tried it briefly). One other thing that came up a few years post surgery was my apendix had to be removed. I have heard that those prone to gall stones can later have apendix issues. Had that removed and have been just fine since.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    I am an ER PA and we diagnose a lot of gallstones in the ER. Generally speaking, avoid foods with fat in them. Cheese, creamy sauces, and fatty meats are big triggers. There is no known medical therapy to reverse gallstones. There are some home remedies online but none have any proven medical benefit. After gallbladder surgery (cholecystectomy), many people can eat a regular diet. Some people still have avoid eating too much fat after surgery. Naturally, there is no more gallbladder so less bile reserve although the liver still makes bile of course. Hope this helps.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    I had my gallbladder removed 14 years ago. The first couple years I was really susceptible to diarrhea. Even since then I am fine unless I eat a really really high fat meal.
  • anonuser369
    anonuser369 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    My OH had his gallbladder out over 6 years ago. He reduced fat for about three days post-surgery but since then hasn't followed any of the recommendations here https://health.clevelandclinic.org/5-ways-to-avoid-discomfort-after-your-gallbladder-removal/ and hasn't had any issues.

This is me as well - had it 13 years ago - no precautions and no problems. Only if I eat a LOT of fat, I feel a bit queasy but this is if I really, really overdo it.
  • KokoroRose
    KokoroRose Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with gallstones 2 years ago. At the time they were too small for the surgeon to want my gallbladder removed. I occasionally have attacks every few months. These are usually stress and poor diet induced. For my body, avoiding extremely high fat and sugar junk as well as animal products helps keep the pain at bay. Big fan of Dr.Axe, he inspired me to use apple cider vinegar. I now look forward to my daily ACV drink concoction to aid my digestion. It’s also fabulous during a gallstone attack, I drown it out with ACV!
  • melissafeagins
    melissafeagins Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    daneejela wrote: »
    I am 33 and I was diagnosed with gallstones recently. First few months I had attacks almost every week. Letter, when I learned what food causes pain and started to avoid it, I was pain-free for about 4 months. Until this week when I got too relaxed with food.

Doctor's recommendation is surgery and removal of the gallbladder. I know it's the standard way of treating stones, medicine is clear there. I am not scared of the surgery itself, but I wonder if there are some long term side effects of it.
    For example, is it expected to develop liver or pancreas problems down the road?

Since weight loss is related to increased risk of developing gallstones, I am probably not the only one here with the problem. I thought we could share information and maybe help each other.

On many topics, this community was a sane oasis in the chaos of questionable information available on the internet.

Has anyone ever reversed gallstones?
    Is diet a valid alternative to surgery?

I had my gallbladder out less than two weeks ago. I had a 2.1 cm stone. My liver function was far more impaired than it will ever be by the absence of my gallbladder.

I have never heard of diet reversing gall stones. Just bite the bullet and have the surgery. I feel better already, except for soreness at the actual incision sites.
  • melissafeagins
    melissafeagins Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    Fuzzipeg wrote: »
    If you can try to increase the rate of flow of bile through the system this could help you. The concept is considered alternative but many find having lemon juice can help ease things. Also if you can introduce more bitter fruits and veg too because bile is now known to be composed of bitter flavours. If you are up for doing research into improving gallbladder and liver function this really could help you. My sister is in a remission spell with her gallstones issue doing very much this. She does not want surgery if she can avoid it.

I know my comment will be credited with many woo's but if you do not give it a go, you will not know if it will prevent you going under the knife. I'm of the opinion, I would rather keep that general anaesthetic to use at a later date if necessary or for something different.

I'm data against this theory. I eat lemons, cilantro and other bitter foods all the time. I like them. And as I said in my previous comment, I had a 2.1 cm stone that necessitated having a cholecystectomy. If that stone had moved into the bile duct it would have ruptured and I might be dead.
  • Vune
    Vune Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I dealt with gallbladder disease for 15 years. I wish all the medical professionals in all the ERs I visited had picked up on it earlier because I lost so much time to that pain. By the time I got diagnosed and had my surgery, I was in pain nearly every day no matter what I ate. Now, I can eat whatever, as long as I moderate.
  • Dgil1975
    Dgil1975 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I avoided surgery as well, then all hell broke loss and a gall stone got caught in my bile duct. Long story short I got pancreatitis and ended up hospitalized for 3 weeks on IVs. Definitely should have just had it removed when the doctor suggested. Don’t miss the painful attacks at all.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    May I point out, I did say, "If you are up to doing some research". We all know our personal situations best. The OP had said they had achieved a period of relief for 4 months and her problem had returned after she changed her diet again. We must all do what is right for ourselves.
  • UnDyddArYTro
    UnDyddArYTro Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I diet controlled my gallstones for 3 years...then when that didn't work anymore it didn't work spectacularly. I couldn't eat any fat at all without triggering an attack and the only drink that didn't trigger an attack was lukewarm still water.

Surgery became necessary. I'm 9 years on from surgery now and high fat foods aren't loved by my body but otherwise I have no ill effects from being without a gallbladder.

By all means be sensible with your diet and aim to control it without surgery in the first instance but if it starts flaring up despite eating a gallstone friendly diet don't wait to seek help because you could end up as an emergency and rather ill.
  • 30kgin2017
    30kgin2017 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I technically reversed gall stones. I had quite a few gallstones when I had an ultrasound by the time I had surgery there were none as they had all passed through by then. But in process of passing them I had one stuck for 5 days which was not much fun. For me gallstones were bought on by pregnancy hormones and are hereditary. My dad also has them and has had for many years, he is into some fasting thing.

Diet wise, not sure if it’s because I was young (25) or that mine were bought about by hormones mainly. I’ve had no issues with foods, I was bought up to avoid fatty foods and was dairy intolerant for long periods but neither cause me issues when I have them now. It’s been over 10 years since I had surgery.

Yes you can manage with diet (my sister had to for 3 plus months as diagnosed while preg and had to wait to give birth to have gall bladder removed). For both of us the the surgeons (we didn’t have the same one) felt that it would be an reoccurring issue as once we had begun to develop them it would be highly likely we would continue to do so in the future.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

This is me as well - had it 13 years ago - no precautions and no problems. Only if I eat a LOT of fat, I feel a bit queasy but this is if I really, really overdo it.

me too. Soon after having my gallbladder out I made a lovely lamb and artichoke tagine - both bile forming. Felt nauseous for days with the extra bile just dripping into my stomach (liver produces bile, gallbladder stores it and pumps it in when needed. No gallbladder - constant drip). Also to start with I found I needed to eat soon after waking otherwise the nausea started again.

Fast forward to now over ten years since removal - can eat whatever I want. I tend not to eat a mass of fat anyway, but as the poster above says, if I do, then I feel queasy.

No other effects or long terms complications for me. And it beats having that feeling of an ever-tightening band around my middle for hours on end!!!
  • alijimin
    alijimin Posts: 7 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    I had my gallbladder removed in 2016 due to gallstone cholecystitis and pancreatitis. I have been left with significant ongoing complications but it’s difficult to say whether they are all caused by the surgery or the poor care I received leading up to it. I have very recently been diagnosed with pancreatic insufficiency, fat malabsorption syndrome, suspected chronic pancreatitis, bile acid problems and waiting for more tests to see if I’m still producing stones. I also developed cardiac arrhythmia which started in the recovery room after theatre and is still ongoing now and was hospitalised with 2 post op infections and problems with wound healing. Despite all of this, I don’t regret the surgery at all as it was much needed and I was at the end of my tether. I have new issues to contend with, but my quality of life has definitely improved with the surgery.

Whilst lots of people have gallstones without any issues, In the uk it’s always recommended to remove the gallbladder when you have a symptomatic stone as once they’ve caused you problems than they will keep on doing so. I think diet can only control it to a certain point and then eventually that fails in people and there are increased risks by leaving it in which can far outweigh those of taking it out. If I had my time again but with good care and had been offered for it to be taken out before I developed complications then I would definitely go for it. It just wasn’t offered until I was already in a big mess and after repeated hospitalisation for serious complications which could absolutely have been avoided.

Gallstone diet, probably prevented more hospitalisations for me and definitely helped in the beginning. But it quickly progressed to a point where I was having daily attacks with only hours in between and eating or drinking anything (regardless of fat) just aggravated it. I’ve found it much harder to keep my fat reduced since, as in my head I have no gallbladder so a really yummy meal is worth the suffering after as it’s far less than before and I’m now used to it to the point it’s normal to run to the loo during or straight after meals and then I get attacks of the same pains as before so that’s why they are looking into wether I’m still producing stones somehow although nothing so far shown on the usual scans. ☹️

I’m seriously trying to change my diet long term but keep slipping back into old ways and then I have the consequences. You would think it would be an easy process but I've found it really hard as I eat when I’m stressed.

The surgery itself was fine, everything went to plan apparently and I wasn’t in half as much pain as I was previously. I have a complicated medical history which I think had a big impact on why I’ve had so many issues. Only you know what’s right for you and your situation, we are all so unique. Definitely do some research and talk to your doctor about any worries s you might have. Write them down and take the list with you.

Hope this helps and hasn’t scared you as that’s not my intention. x
  • 150poundsofme
    150poundsofme Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Had my gallbladder out a few years ago. I can eat anything, healthy and also junk fatty foods and no problems eating them. I asked the surgeon about eating fat and "bad" foods and he said when you have your gallbladder, you shouldn't eat fat but now that you don't have your gallbladder, you can eat whatever you want. I told this to the endocrinologist. He said this is not good advice for your heart.