Low Fat High Fiber Diet

jonsims2271
jonsims2271 Posts: 1 Member
Hello everyone, I am new to this. I just got diagnosed with Type 2 Sugar Diabetes last week, the doctor told me that I needed to be on a Low Fat, High Fiber Diet. I do not like a whole lot of vegetables so I am struggling with this. We like to eat a lot of things with tomato base like Spaghetti, Chili, and meat loaf. I have high blood pressure and have heard Pork will raise it, I love pork steaks and pork chops.

What are some healthy recipes that will still let me eat the good stuff just maybe prepared a different, healthier way?? We like to bake because with 2 kids under 3 years old it makes it easier!

Thank you for your time!

Include pictures and/or links to recipes that you enjoy!

I am also looking for desserts, we all know I like sweets!! :smile:

Replies

• gentlygently
    gentlygently Posts: 752 Member
    That is some big news to get your head around - good luck.

So - here are some ideas

Use Wholemeal spaghetti to up the fibre content, (and brown rice not white, brown not white etc)

Make vegetable chilli - or make your usual chilli but replace half the meat with a few handfuls of lentils. (And chuck in more veg to the pot than in the past.)

By ‘like to bake’ - do you mean cook things in the oven so you can ignore it while you tickle them kids? One pot dishes really help - eg pot roast a whole chickem surrounded by veggies; make beef stews with lots of veggies and add canned beans towards the enc of the cooking time. Oven baked risottos can be packed with fibre (veg amd brown rice) and low fat - think chicken and prawms.

i suspect you will start tolerating more vegetables and then gradually grow to love them - but you could always set goals eg to try one new veg a day/week, or one new method of cooking then (oven roasted beetroot or sweet potato ‘fries’,

We get a veggie box delivered every week - and I make it a point of principle to use it all up. So I am
    constantly adding (low fat high fibre) veg into our meals.

Not in a cooking mood? Bake large potatoes and eat the skins - and use a small amount of a strong cheese not lots of mild cheese on top, and replace the butter with yoghurt..

Sorry no recipes or photos - but at least some ideas to get the ball rolling.

For desert - is your doc happy with you eating fruit? (High in fibre, low fat but also can be highish in sugar.) Slices of fresh fruit, a plain but good quality yoghurt and a smidgen of choc sauce or maple syrup ? With a little will power Your sweet tooth can dial down over time.

Finally did you check in with the doc about pork - (doesn’t sound right to me.)
  • IamSimonIam
    IamSimonIam Posts: 29 Member
    I know you don't like vegetables, but sprouts are excellent. Try steaming a few till almost done, then transfer into a pan and fry with some horse chestnuts. The taste of the nuts will make the sprouts taste all the better, and they contain loads of fibre and no fat.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Check out PCRM.org and Mastering Diabetes.
  • solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    Mission carb balance tortillas fajita size are your friend. They taste great, low fat and really help me get fiber.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,601 Member
    A lot of people who don't like vegetables will eat them roasted.

https://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-roast-any-vegetable-101221