2»

Replies

• RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    NovusDies wrote: »
    pinuplove wrote: »
    It's good with curry. Otherwise, it's just cauliflower pretending to be rice but fooling no one :tongue:

Pretty much this.

I primarily use it as a bulking agent in recipes. It adds volume for very low calories which reduces the total calories per serving.

Same here, it's nice and mild so it mixes in well with many recipes and sauces without adding a weird taste or texture. As a replacement for rice, though, it is very meh. I do, however, prefer cauliflower mashed potatoes over the real thing.

I don't want cauliflower in my mashed potatoes. It would throw off the texture.

It's cauliflower cooked and then blended to be like mashed potatoes, rather than cauliflower in mashed potatoes. Definitely a similar texture to mashed potatoes, although a little thinner (which I like).

Then it is mashed/blended cauliflower not cauliflower mashed potatoes.

But I want to be the *kitten* that argues semantics!

ALMOND MILK IS NOT ALMOND MILK IT IS ALMOND JUICE.

There.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    It's good with curry. Otherwise, it's just cauliflower pretending to be rice but fooling no one :tongue:

Pretty much this.

I primarily use it as a bulking agent in recipes. It adds volume for very low calories which reduces the total calories per serving.

Same here, it's nice and mild so it mixes in well with many recipes and sauces without adding a weird taste or texture. As a replacement for rice, though, it is very meh. I do, however, prefer cauliflower mashed potatoes over the real thing.

It's cauliflower cooked and then blended to be like mashed potatoes, rather than cauliflower in mashed potatoes. Definitely a similar texture to mashed potatoes, although a little thinner (which I like).

I do it with half cauliflower and half potatoes. I like it, but I admit I am not one of those people who is very sensitive to food textures.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member

Pretty much this.

I do it with half cauliflower and half potatoes. I like it, but I admit I am not one of those people who is very sensitive to food textures.

That sounds pretty delicious. I dislike mashed potatoes unless they're drowning in butter, so that might help with the texture a little.
  • purplefizzy
    purplefizzy Posts: 594 Member
    I find that I really only like it prepared wok-style.
    I sauté the white parts of scallions with ginger and garlic/shallots/whatever for a bit in coconut oil spray, then dump in the cauli (like to microwave it a bit first and wring out in a clean towel to pull some moisture) and pan-fry it. I give a blast of coconut oil spray a few times as I stir it. Finish with a splash of soy, some sesame seeds, and a drizzle of sesame oil.

I like veggies as a base for saucy things like chili and curry, but not cauliflower so much. I’ll put chili over roasted broccoli, and curry over spaghetti squash - or iceberg. It’s the one acceptable use of iceberg.

Wait, there are also lettuce cups. So I guess there are two reasons iceberg is sorta ok. It’s a crispy watery vehicle to get stuff into my mouth :)
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member

Pretty much this.

I think he was being a smart *kitten* :tongue:

Shocking, I know.

I will sometimes add cauliflower to my potatoes for added bulk. I PERSONALLY cant tell much difference.
  • Italiana_xx79
    Italiana_xx79 Posts: 588 Member
    I like it a few different ways. -1 Mixed in with chili - 2 Mashed with sour cream - Badia Fried Rice seasoning mix.
  • hellonew2015
    hellonew2015 Posts: 327 Member
    If you are sauteeing any type of meat, use the left over juice and stir fry riced cauliflower in it. It will absorb the flavor and will taste really good.
  • mangofish44
    mangofish44 Posts: 57 Member
    I throw a head of cauliflower in a food processor after breaking it down. Peanut on a pan then cook peas / carrots. Then add onions, then the cauliflower / soy sauce / dab of sesame oil. Scramble an egg in another pan mix together and so good! (Diamond salt added as we go)

My other go to is sliced brown mushrooms with oilive oil. When they are nicely browned I add salt, onion / garlic cloves. Once onion translucent I had cauliflower for about a min. I then add beef stock/ bit of red wine. Finish with a tad of parmessian
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    I normally have cauliflower blitzed with some other vegetables (normally broccoli and/or zucchini) and sautee it in a pan with a bit of oil, pepper and garlic. I haven't tried onion but am sure that would make it extra yummy. I much prefer the taste of this to rice otherwise, I wouldn't eat it.
  • mangofish44
    mangofish44 Posts: 57 Member
    Cauliflower has been my go to and has helped me lose so much weight. One more prep I do (not rice). Roast it with salt / olive oil for 25 min at 425. Then put date syrup bottom of plate, tahini on top of it with pickled red onion and some roasted pistachios. Hearty / healthy meal
  • barefootbridgey
    barefootbridgey Posts: 81 Member
    I sauté mushrooms, broccoli, Brussels sprouts and whatever vegetables I have in butter. Sometimes I add frozen (peeled, deveined and raw) shrimp. Sometimes chicken (pre cooked or raw). When all of that is close to being done, I add In the cauliflower, season with garlic, crushed red pepper, salt and pepper. Cook until its done to your liking. and that's it. Sometimes I like to add a sprinkle of shredded parmesan. It's a quick weeknight meal.