Struggling to get enough sleep

Options
2»

Replies

• reversemigration
    reversemigration Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I second sleep hygiene. One thing that may be helpful is keeping a sleep diary, so you can connect potential issues in your routine to the problem (and alternately, changes in routine to sleep improvement.) In addition, unfortunately, life changes can lead to bouts of insomnia - menopause, chronic health problems, etc. If your insomnia persists, I'd recommend seeing a sleep medicine physician/NP.

If you're thinking about using meds to help, make sure to check side effects and interactions with drugs you may already be taking, and in general take them for only short periods of time (a couple of weeks.) Doxylamine, for instance, is an anticholinergic which doesn't always play well with other anticholinergics.

http://sleepeducation.org/essentials-in-sleep/healthy-sleep-habits
  • InspectorRed
    InspectorRed Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    Lots of good comments and advice, thank you, everyone!
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    aes1219 wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I could have written this post word for word. This started late February. I’m not hungry, not on electronics, workout almost every day and don’t need to pee. I may be peri menopausal. Whatever it is it is frustrating. Melatonin (6 mg) doesnt help and unison makes me irritable.

6 mg melatonin could be too much. I've heard too much is counter-productive. I've only taken between 1 and 3 mg.

I take 15 mg and it works well for me.

Melatonin is sold at different concentrations, I believe. (My husband is a pharmacist.) So how many mg you take depends on which bottle and brand you bought.