Eggs: Good or bad?

Options
I have heard that eggs are a good source of protein, but if I have 2 boiled eggs for breakfast my daily cholesterol goal is over. Why is that?

Replies

• jamu1528
    jamu1528 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I just had my blood work done and I have noticed that my LDL was slightly elevated so I am going back to egg whites in the morning. I had been eating 2 whole eggs. Not that I only blame the eggs, my diet hasn't been as clean as it had been, but I am going to cut the yolk as part of my effort to bring it back down again. I did notice the same thing that you had that when I would eat the eggs, my cholesterol goal was always over.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    I have heard that eggs are a good source of protein, but if I have 2 boiled eggs for breakfast my daily cholesterol goal is over. Why is that?

They have a lot of cholesterol (so does shrimp). It's generally believed these days that for most people dietary cholesterol does not affect bodily cholesterol, although there's a recent study that suggests it might be a negative. I'm not jumping to conclusions from that given all the other contrary evidence, but I am interested in reading the whole study (will do that soon). I've personally never had bad cholesterol readings (despite eating around a dozen eggs a week often), so am not too concerned about it.

They are only an okay source of protein, although I love them as a breakfast food -- one of the easiest ways for me to make sure I have lots of veg at breakfast is to have a veg omelet, too. Eggs are very nutritious, but actually higher in fat than protein (which is only an issue if you struggle to get enough protein). Personally, I dislike not consuming whole eggs and won't do it, because it seems wasteful to me, and I think whole eggs are tasty and I can get sufficient protein from them plus all the other foods in my diet. But that's my personal choice, others can reasonably make different ones.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    Well eggs put your dietary cholesterol over because they have a lot of dietary cholesterol in them. But dietary cholesterol has not been shown to be a driver of high blood cholesterol, so in my opinion it is not something that most people should worry about too much, particularly if you don't have high blood cholesterol.

As far as a "good source of protein" I guess that's open to interpretation. A large egg has 6 grams of protein in it. To me that is not a ton. But it all depends on what is compared against. Having a couple of eggs vs having say toast and butter would be a high protein choice. But there are certainly a lot of other ways to get protein in more dense concentration than eggs.