Options
13»

Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    sheloves89 wrote: »
    Calories are king for weight loss.

But remember that weight loss isn't the whole picture. You can be within a normal BMI and still be unhealthy. Your body requires the nutrients in foods like vegetables in order to function in the long-term. You don't have to subsist only on salads, but you do need to include leafy greens and stemmy veg somewhere in your diet in order to avoid the long-term health complications associated with not eating these things (from things as simple as vitamin deficiencies to things as serious as cancer).

If you're not keen on raw veggies (a la salad), try frying sturdy veg (like carrots, squash, sweet potato, and broccoli) in batter (like this tempura recipe) - they taste a bit like french fries, but with vegetables other than potatoes! They don't have to be boring, and the point is to make them in a way that you like them, so that you can give your body what it deserves to keep functioning for ya!

What health complications have been directly linked to ONLY not eating leafy greens and stemmy veg? Health is a big picture item with many components. Nutrition can be maintained many different ways because of nutrient redundancies in nature.

• rickiimarieee
    rickiimarieee Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    shaf238 wrote: »
    shaf238 wrote: »
    I'm eating a subway cookie right now (guess you would consider that 'unhealthy') but it's fine as it fits within my calorie goal and macros. So yeah, all about CICO (calories in, calories out).

Oatmeal raisin, I hope. Oh, man, now I'm drooling.

I also lost by just focusing on calories. I'd say I eat about 80% "healthy" and 20% "treats".
    Double chocolate every time. I had another 2 today :#

These are my favorite.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    I lost 50 pounds and have kept it off a year by just managing my calories. In the begining the only change I made was to eat less (and I didn't have a very healthy diet, in that my fiber and protein were way too low, and a lot of my calories were consumed in less nutrient dense/higher calorie foods like chips and baked goods). As I went along I found I was naturally gravitating toward more nutritious foods because they were more satisfying, especially fiber and protein, but I was close to maintenance when I started consciously switiching up what I was eating to meet nutrition goals. What I ate didn't make any difference in how I lost weight, just how much.