Beginning boxing

Options
Hi all,

I've been wanting to get into boxing recently. My gym has a pair of gloves and punching bag and I want to work it into my cardio days because it seems fun. Does anybody have any good tips for beginners or threads/videos?

Replies

• Beckenzahler
    Beckenzahler Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Get somebody experienced to show you correct punching technique, to avoid injury.

Shared gloves are bacteria breeding grounds, so make sure to wash your hands thoroughly afterwards.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend getting your own gloves. You can get them cheap and gloves are kot one size fits all. Plus sharing gloves would be kind of gross.

You should look at a couple of you tube videos before you do it on proper puncj8ng technique, and practice in the mirror. You'll probably want to work with the 3 main punches, the jab, cross, and hook. The jab is a straight punch with your non dominant hand, a cross is a straight punch with your dominant hand, and a hook in a punch across with either hand.

Focus more on technique rather than strength or speed at first, until you get comfortable.
  • MichaelK1007
    MichaelK1007 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Agree with Mike, get your own gloves. Will you be hitting a heavy bag, if so I’d opt for heavier gloves and make sure you purchase the wraps and learn how to wrap your hands properly. Like above start with the basic punches and focus on the technique and footwork. Speed and power will come over time. It’s a great workout and a lot of fun.