Need help/advice.

I'm not sure if this is the right section, if I was mistaken I'm sorry. Recently I went on a diet and I overshot my end goal by quite a bit, if I increase my calorie intake from my diet's calorie intake, will my body slowly stabilize and "get used" to more calories? Or will I just keep gaining and gaining? If this additional information helps, I hardly do any exercise due to time restrictions. Thank you for taking your time to read my post !

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Increased your calories from what to what? If you keep eating in a surplus you will keep gaining weight?
  • Darpiee
    Darpiee Posts: 8 Member
    So, if I use a 1900 calorie diet instead of my initial 1500 calorie diet, I would keep gaining weight right? I heard from somebody in the past that my body would increase in weight initially and get used to the additional calories. I was just wondering if anybody could verify whether that information was valid or not.
  • Darpiee
    Sorry if I made my question confusing :( .
  • preciousleks
    preciousleks Posts: 213 Member
    edited April 2019
    Darpiee wrote: »
    So, if I use a 1900 calorie diet instead of my initial 1500 calorie diet, I would keep gaining weight right? I heard from somebody in the past that my body would increase in weight initially and get used to the additional calories. I was just wondering if anybody could verify whether that information was valid or not.

The information was valid. The more calories the more weight.
  • TavistockToad

is 1900 cals maintenance or a surplus?
  • Darpiee
    edited April 2019
    Thanks for the help!
    I'm using a 1900 calorie diet to gain weight as compared to my 1500 calorie diet, so I guess that's a surplus? If that information was valid then that means that a weight gain plateau exists. Thus that means that I have to increase the calorie intake when my body gets used to the 1900 calorie diet, right?
  • TavistockToad
    Thanks for the help!
    I'm using a 1900 calorie diet to gain weight as compared to my 1500 calorie diet, so I guess that's a surplus? If that information was valid then that means that a weight gain plateau exists. Thus that means that I have to increase the calorie intake when my body gets used to the 1900 calorie diet, right?

what are your stats? were you losing weight on 1500 cals?
  • Darpiee
    edited April 2019
    Yeah, I was losing weight on 1500 calories. As for my stats, I'm assuming that you're asking for my height and age?
  • TavistockToad
    Yeah, I was losing weight on 1500 calories. As for my stats, I'm assuming that you're asking for my height and age?

how much were you losing per week on 1500?

yes, stats is age, height, weight
  • Darpiee
    edited April 2019
    I was losing relatively close to two lbs a week. I just turned 18 years old two months ago, I'm about 6ft tall and I weigh 130 lbs. Now that I think about it, I think 1900 calories are still much too less, but I don't think that dramatically increasing my calorie intake is a good idea. So I'm thinking of slowly increasing the calorie intake each week by 100 calories every time I hit a plateau, or if I don't gain weight at all.
  • TavistockToad
    I was losing relatively close to two lbs a week. I just turned 18 years old two months ago, I'm about 6ft tall and I weigh 130 lbs. Now that I think about it, I think 1900 calories are still much too less, but I don't think that dramatically increasing my calorie intake is a good idea.

then maintenance is around 2500, so 1900 is still a deficit.

why would dramatically increasing your calories be a bad idea?
  • Darpiee
    edited April 2019
    Alright then, I'll just eat about 2500 calories. But will I keep gaining weight even after I reach a suitable weight with that amount? Or will the weight gain stabilize? Thanks a lot 😊
  • TavistockToad
    Alright then, I'll just eat about 2500 calories. But will I keep gaining weight even after I reach a suitable weight with that amount? Or will the weight gain stabilize? Thanks a lot 😊

if you're eating at maintenance you will neither gain nor lose weight.
  • Darpiee
    Oh, I had the feeling that my metabolism was somewhat altered after dieting for a long period of time.