I love my job but.....

Options
walleyclan1
walleyclan1 Posts: 2,784 Member
Apparently not everyone has read this yet lol. At least 3 times a week I will have someone show up 5 minutes before lunch or close with an animal that has been seriously ill for days. Now I get to stay and run bloodwork, take x-rays etc and work through my lunch or into the night. I don't get paid anymore and I miss time with my family. That is probably my biggest pet peeve of them all. It also frustrated me when my recommendations based on science are dismissed because the breeder or owner of the pet health food store told them different.

http://www.xojane.com/relationships/how-not-to-be-a-****-at-the-vet-hospital

What your biggest pet peeves about your job/clients/customers?

Replies

• RebekahR84
    RebekahR84 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    My biggest pet peeve about work is the people who call 911 to ask what the number is for the non-emergency line. 911 is NOT 411.
  • coolraul07
    coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    At least 3 times a week I will have someone show up 5 minutes before lunch or close with an animal that has been seriously ill for days.
    "Pet" peeve?
    post-831-I-SEE-WHAT-YOU-DID-THERE-1zPX.jpeg
  • RebekahR84
    Options
    At least 3 times a week I will have someone show up 5 minutes before lunch or close with an animal that has been seriously ill for days.
    "Pet" peeve?
    post-831-I-SEE-WHAT-YOU-DID-THERE-1zPX.jpeg

LMAO. Well done.
  • Trishkit
    Trishkit Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I'm a freelance web designer who works from a home office, and I have a flexible schedule to put ME first, so I can get to the gym and do other errands that need to be done while I'm in town. My last office job a couple years ago was really crazy, pull-out-your-hair, breaking-down-in-tears stressful, so while I make sure that I get projects done and keep the business going, I'm making myself the priority this time around. Unfortunately, that means...

<rant>

...my biggest pet peeve is people assuming that since I work from home, I MUST sit around all day doing ABSOLUTELY NOTHING! Do you see those checks sitting on the table, waiting to be deposited at the bank? Those don't come from sitting around doing nothing!!!

</rant>
  • RebekahR84
    Options
    Back when I worked at a gas station, my pet peeve was when I would hold my hand out to take the cash from a customer, and they'd just drop it on the counter...

I get still get fired up just thinking about it. :mad:
  • StarChanger
    StarChanger Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I love my job. ;)
  • EngineerPrincess
    EngineerPrincess Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I love my job but...
    I don't get paid a dime. They take me out for food frequently though. :drinker:
    Yep, unpaid college intern, been working nearly 3 years at the same engineering lab. It's such a good lab people are clamoring to work for free in my place, so I'm happy here.

Oh and my other job. I love that job too but... half the people hate me. I'm an RA. xD I'm far from harsh, I just don't want anyone dying on me. They don't pay me either. But they do feed and house me.

Anyone else work 25+ hours a week without pay? I want to make myself feel less insane.
  • Eric_37788
    Options
    Domestics!
  • LabAgility
    LabAgility Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Parents who want to fix their high school child's grades the week grades are due. I mean, come on! Progress reports go out 4 weeks before that deadline AND my grade book is open, in real time, on the Internet... oh, and don't forget the weekly grade updates I put up on my door.

Check your kids grades.... And if you don't please don't threaten me to give your child a Hail Mary two days before the grading period ends... Because *if* I cave I have to offer the same chance to 180 other kids. Not gonna go it....

Nope.
  • RebekahR84
    Options
    Domestics!

LEO I take it?
  • withabandon
    withabandon Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    OP, I feel your pain. I could never work in a vet hospital... I would want to punch every other owner in the throat.

As lifelong pet and livestock owners, when our local small animal vet (who also doubled as large animal in our provincial government and so tended our livestock as well) retired and moved to Africa (no lie!), we really missed him and had a hard time finding a vet who was realistic with us, talked TO us not AT us, and gave us options for lower cost treatments when appropriate. Basically, we needed someone who would talk to us like we knew the right thing to do - but after seeing the people in the waiting rooms at most offices, I understood WHY they generally had a problem with that.
  • Eric_37788
    Options
    Domestics!

LEO I take it?

Yup
  • RebekahR84
    Options
    Haha. Then I'll bet you have as many pet peeves as I do. Dispatcher here.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    I'm a nurse, do I need to say more? :huh:
  • Eric_37788
    Options
    Haha. Then I'll bet you have as many pet peeves as I do. Dispatcher here.

Lol. Absolutely
  • SmangeDiggs
    SmangeDiggs Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I love my job but i have lost complete faith in humanity. Im an emergency nurse and everyday i see things that border on ridiculous, sheer stupidity and plain rudeness. I think in general my job has made me dislike people a whole lot more.
    But i love my colleagues because they are just as jaded and dark humoured as me.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    bump