Map My Walk Calories Burned Question

2»

Replies

• Kalex1975
    Kalex1975 Posts: 427 Member
    sijomial wrote: »
    Kalex1975 wrote: »
    It looks like MapMy... has updated their calorie calculations to be more accurate (yay!). There is a post explaining the change here...

https://support.mapmyfitness.com/hc/en-us/articles/200118084-Why-Aren-t-My-Calories-Displaying-Correctly-
    We have based our calorie count on established scientific research detailed in the Compendium of Physical Activities. This update may impact the estimated number of calories burned for a given workout.

I'm happy they made this change. Their old estimates were a joke!

MyFitnessPal also sources the Compendium.

Worth noting that the estimates are gross not net, which isn't that significant for intense (high MET) short duration exercise but can make a fairly large error if trying to estimate net calories for a low intensity and long duration exercise such as walking.

Good note!

Is there a preferred way to account for this difference?

I'm guessing someone can take their estimated BMR and divide it by the number of minutes in a day (1440) then take that amount, multiply it by the number of exercise minutes performed, and subtract from the overall estimate?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    sijomial wrote: »
    It looks like MapMy... has updated their calorie calculations to be more accurate (yay!). There is a post explaining the change here...

https://support.mapmyfitness.com/hc/en-us/articles/200118084-Why-Aren-t-My-Calories-Displaying-Correctly-
    We have based our calorie count on established scientific research detailed in the Compendium of Physical Activities. This update may impact the estimated number of calories burned for a given workout.

I'm happy they made this change. Their old estimates were a joke!

MyFitnessPal also sources the Compendium.

Worth noting that the estimates are gross not net, which isn't that significant for intense (high MET) short duration exercise but can make a fairly large error if trying to estimate net calories for a low intensity and long duration exercise such as walking.

Good note!

Is there a preferred way to account for this difference?

I'm guessing someone can take their estimated BMR and divide it by the number of minutes in a day (1440) then take that amount, multiply it by the number of exercise minutes performed, and subtract from the overall estimate?

Most of my exercise estimates don't come from the MFP database but for circuit training I just use a very rough rule of thumb that my RMR is about 2400 so I simply take 100 cals off the estimate for an hour of training.
    For what is a rough estimate in the first place I feel near enough is good enough.