What's something you hate to hear?

Options
2»

Replies

• texasredreb
    texasredreb Posts: 541 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    When I heard that, I admit that it stung a little but I replied truthfully: "I've always been able to gain/lose the weight I want, but maintaining has been extremely difficult. I have a plan for maintenance this time so please keep your fingers crossed for me."
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I don't talk about my training very often with people outside my "training circle". But on the rare occasion when I do, I hate hearing "I don't know how you do it" or "There's no way I could do that".

Yeah, I sacrifice for my sport. I don't expect anyone else to.
  • smms0714
    smms0714 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    slw37 wrote: »
    One dumb thing, when I was doing Weight Watchers a couple of years ago. When someone would post that they made goal, some moron would ALWAYS ask, "how'd you do it??" Um...maybe following the freakin' plan??? I don't know why some people are always looking for a magic bullet.

I can't imagine getting upset when a person says you don't look like you need to lose weight. Would you prefer they said "it's about time; you're a real pig?" It seems like a compliment to me, but what do I know.

To me it's not about my looks it's about my health. When I have more than one doctor (my primary care doc who's been my doctor since I was 12, and my doc at VA) telling me I'm overweight, and need lose weight it's time to lose weight. Just because you aren't morbidly obese doesn't mean you're healthy, and I hate when I tell them it's about my health and they dismiss it as though it's all about the way I look.
  • smms0714
    Options
    JohnBarth wrote: »
    "I hope you keep the weight off this time!"

If I heard this, I might respond, "I hope you get hit by a bus!"

I'd just say, "Yeah, me too." :D
  • smms0714
    Options
    When I heard that, I admit that it stung a little but I replied truthfully: "I've always been able to gain/lose the weight I want, but maintaining has been extremely difficult. I have a plan for maintenance this time so please keep your fingers crossed for me."

And you have a whole community right here to go to for support. :) I know you've got it this time.
  • wyeth84
    wyeth84 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    "you are lucky" is the most infuriating thing out there. I'm not lucky, I'm disciplined and work f hard for my body
  • JohnBarth
    JohnBarth Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    wyeth84 wrote: »
    "you are lucky" is the most infuriating thing out there. I'm not lucky, I'm disciplined and work f hard for my body

Ugggh... heard this so, so many times. My thoughts might not be as generous, I often blindly reply, "I'm working hard."
  • DaintyWhisper
    DaintyWhisper Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I hate it when I turn down an invite to eat something or have seconds, and I get: "Come one! You can afford to eat a donut/another cookie/more food." It's usually by people who are themselves overweight and I guess the portion size that works for me looks unsatisfying or small to them. I also had a co-worker who boasted that carbs were the enemy and you couldn't lose weight unless you ate under a set amount. I kept my mouth shut, but it's safe to say that her endeavor didn't last long..
  • smms0714
    Options
    I hate it when I turn down an invite to eat something or have seconds, and I get: "Come one! You can afford to eat a donut/another cookie/more food." It's usually by people who are themselves overweight and I guess the portion size that works for me looks unsatisfying or small to them. I also had a co-worker who boasted that carbs were the enemy and you couldn't lose weight unless you ate under a set amount. I kept my mouth shut, but it's safe to say that her endeavor didn't last long..

I've had people tell me, "Just have one *insert random food here*, you've had a good week, and can have a treat." Yeah, that way of thinking is just going to have me back up to 200lbs in no time. Thanks, but no thanks. Maybe later on when I trust myself to stop at a serving size or less, but not right now.