Help lowering cholesterol

Options
jujuky
jujuky Posts: 26 Member
Hi I’m trying to figure out what are some good meal plans breakfast lunch and dinner to help me lower my cholesterol just found out it’s 250. I’ve lost 50 pounds over the past two years but came back 16over the winter which is a lot! Getting back on track. I just trying to be healthy and have a necklace or a high really bother me that’s my priority is getting a heart healthy

Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/mediterranean-diet/art-20047801

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/dash-diet/art-20047110

I am working on what I hope is my final phase of cholesterol medication. I should know in a couple of weeks.

Anyway, the above links are some of the things I incorporate into my routine. I don't believe I can achieve sustainable weight loss or even improved health numbers with any named diet or their rules. I look to them for ideas and guidance. If I can't stick to something I will never get the results I need.

There is a HUGE variety of things you can eat out there that may help so it is important to try and find what you like. For example oatmeal is one of the most common things for people in high cholesterol situations to eat but I hate it so that is not on my menu.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    For most people, weight loss (if overweight) and exercise have the greatest impact on cholesterol. Cholesterol in food has little effect on blood cholesterol unless you have a particular form of high cholesterol that is genetic.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    ^^^This is true. Some foods that are known to be beneficial for your cholesterol levels are walnuts, oatmeal, and fish oil.
  • NovusDies
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    For most people, weight loss (if overweight) and exercise have the greatest impact on cholesterol. Cholesterol in food has little effect on blood cholesterol unless you have a particular form of high cholesterol that is genetic.

I usually just assume that the person asking probably doesn't know and that raising their HDL is typically a good thing.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I lowered my high cholesterol by incorporating more fibrous foods...oats, legumes, lentils, whole grains, more veg and more fruit. I also started eating leaner meats and started eating fish 2-3 times per week. Lost weight and started exercising regularly.

I suspect losing weight and starting to exercise regularly were the biggest factors. That said, I do believe my diet plays a roll as well as my cholesterol starts to go up if my diet gets a little wonky, particularly if I start eating a lot more saturated fats on a regular basis. I also have a family history of high cholesterol, so it's an uphill fight. Pretty much everyone in my immediate and extended family on my dad's side has a history of high cholesterol and most of my mom's side as well...heredity is a huge factor.
  • jujuky
    jujuky Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    My Hdl is elevated ‘tis 63 my and Ldl is 156 🙁
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »

I usually just assume that the person asking probably doesn't know and that raising their HDL is typically a good thing.

That's fair. For me, I spent about 10 years thinking there was nothing I could do about my high cholesterol and triglycerides because I ate "the right way" for lowering cholesterol and it didn't help at all. So I just took my statin and my Tricor (for high triglycerides) and thought that was all I could do. I also assumed I was just one of those people who had the familial version since my dad also has very high lipids.

Once I started working out and losing weight, my lipids came down. I was able to stop all the medication when I got about halfway to my goal weight, and I've been managing my lipids without medication for three or four years now. That's why I always point out that for many of us, diet alone is not necessarily enough to bring down high cholesterol.
  • NovusDies
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »

That's fair. For me, I spent about 10 years thinking there was nothing I could do about my high cholesterol and triglycerides because I ate "the right way" for lowering cholesterol and it didn't help at all. So I just took my statin and my Tricor (for high triglycerides) and thought that was all I could do. I also assumed I was just one of those people who had the familial version since my dad also has very high lipids.

Once I started working out and losing weight, my lipids came down. I was able to stop all the medication when I got about halfway to my goal weight, and I've been managing my lipids without medication for three or four years now. That's why I always point out that for many of us, diet alone is not necessarily enough to bring down high cholesterol.

I agree. I definitely do not think the OP should focus only on diet changes. I am just concerned that some people really need to do weight loss, exercise, and some dietary cholesterol control.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    jujuky wrote: »

That is good. Your HDL is great and your LDL is fine. I'm guessing your triglycerides are fine too. :)
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options

"Elevated" HDL is actually a good thing.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »

That is good. Your HDL is great and your LDL is fine. I'm guessing your triglycerides are fine too. :)

LDL is 156 is considered borderline high. But it shouldn't be the only thing one should look at. As you note, triglycerides are important, so is CRP and HDL-Ratio.
  • kizanne2
    kizanne2 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I agree losing weight and exercising is a great way to bring your numbers down. I though didn't want to take statins in the meantime because weight loss for me has always been slow or not at all even on 1200-1400 calories a day. If you are focused you can impact your cholesterol with diet. But you should exercise and lose weight as you can.

I in the past used diet to lower my cholesterol from 200 to 125.

That was several years ago. I let too many refined foods and such sneak back in and last check up my cholesterol was 184 and my tri was high with a ratio of 5.6

I started a diet specifically for lowering cholesterol and two weeks in my cholesterol is down to 147 and my ratio last sunday was 3.6. My tri's were lower but not as low as I want them.

I eat overnight oats made with 1/2 cup rolled not cooked oast, 2 tbl ground flax, 7 grams of walnuts, 1/2 cup raw milk. plus i drink 1 cup raw milk with breakfast.

I have a snack of 1 square of dark chocolate 70% (small amounts of dark chocolate impact cholesterol)
    1 oz sami's chia chips or millet and flax chips (high in fiber).

Lunch is usually 1/2 cup of black beans, some onions and 100 grams of chicken.
    snack apple

Dinner
    1 cup raw milk
    100 grams of chicken or salmon at least twice a week
    big salad like 4 cups spinach, onion, radish cucumber, 2 tbls kimchi instead of dressing, sometimes small amount of fruit like blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, or 1/2 an orange but up.
    1/2 avacado

(lunch and dinner often switch back and forth. I also often get my salad at panera)

16 oz. kumboucha
    If I want more snacks I try to eat some sardines packed in tomato sauce or an other oz. of chips

I also take a multivitamin, a fish oil capsule, a aged garlic and tumeric capsule, probiotic.

I have thread where I am documenting my progress and cholesterol. I bought a meter so I can see if it's working and to motivate me to stay on plan. I chose each food for reason based on research on c-reactive protein, lowering cholesterol, triglycerides, raising hd. I didn't want to take statins. And Since I have trouble losing weight I didn't want to wait until that happened. I am trying to incorporate more excerise into my week.

I have been happy with the results so far. I am also happy that for the most part I'm not hungry and my cravings for food have disappeared. I'll be happy to share my diary with you though it is pretty boring. I've been sticking to the same foods without too much variation. Once I get my blood chemistry where I want it then I'll branch out.

Good Luck to you!