Reddit Weight Loss Subreddits

I've been a frequent browser of both the MFP forums and the reddit progresspics and loseit subreddits. Its amazing the huge difference in mindsets between the users there and here. One thing that really stands out to me is how widely praised huge amounts of weight loss in a short period of time is on reddit. I'm talking losing 70-80 lbs in 6 months for someone who is not even obese to begin with (one post today from a 5'3 women going from 198-131 in 6 months). Pointing it out in the comments only garners downvotes it's ridiculous. People usually point out the danger in a quick weight loss like that here and most people agree but its like the complete opposite over there. It bothers the heck out of me! It's no wonder so many people regain their weight since it seems that a lot of people crash diet their way down...without making any long-lasting lifestyle changes.

Replies

• etherealanwar
    etherealanwar Posts: 465 Member
    Yes I noticed that when I was looking at various subreddits and decided to stick to MFP's forums!

Yeah it's getting to the point that I might just stop going there.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    I actually can't go on progresspics, I find it a little triggering. A lot of people disliking their bodies and looking for validation, I have trouble with that but am working on it. Had to leave when a girl hit my goal weight and was like "I need to lose like 15 more, I'm still disgusting" which would put her underweight, and no one said a thing to counter it.

loseit is better about it, although there aren't many people who would call out potentially unhealthy habits. I think part of it is because there is a minority but significant group of young people on there who just don't understand but want to participate. MFP is 18 and older and enforces it to the best of their ability.
  • etherealanwar
    etherealanwar Posts: 465 Member
    I actually can't go on progresspics, I find it a little triggering. A lot of people disliking their bodies and looking for validation, I have trouble with that but am working on it. Had to leave when a girl hit my goal weight and was like "I need to lose like 15 more, I'm still disgusting" which would put her underweight, and no one said a thing to counter it.

loseit is better about it, although there aren't many people who would call out potentially unhealthy habits. I think part of it is because there is a minority but significant group of young people on there who just don't understand but want to participate. MFP is 18 and older and enforces it to the best of their ability.

I totally understand where you're coming from! I also have come across posts with people either at a weight which is underweight for their height or are aiming for one and they are still rooted on by the reddit users! A lot of people defending their stance and its infuriating.

I did not consider the potential ages of the users but most who post aren't under 18 (regarding posts in the progresspics). I just think that the general population does not know much about healthy weight loss and what to aim for. People over there don't want to hear that you should only aim to lose 1% of your bodyweight a week...a majority just want to lose the weight as fast as possible.
  • RelCanonical

I totally understand where you're coming from! I also have come across posts with people either at a weight which is underweight for their height or are aiming for one and they are still rooted on by the reddit users! A lot of people defending their stance and its infuriating.

I did not consider the potential ages of the users but most who post aren't under 18 (regarding posts in the progresspics). I just think that the general population does not know much about healthy weight loss and what to aim for. People over there don't want to hear that you should only aim to lose 1% of your bodyweight a week...a majority just want to lose the weight as fast as possible.

That's true, they haven't had us *kittens* calling them out like we would on MFP, so they continue to hold the idea that weight loss should be fast like on Biggest Loser, and that any and all sacrifices should be made to obtain the body you want, even at the sacrifice of your health.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Not necessarily r/loseit, but I've noticed a lot of other weight loss subreddits seem to be focused on really dramatic and fast results. That's no good for me. I'm in a pretty good place right now, but reading about fasting (like, real fasting, not just eating windows) and extended periods without food is just asking for trouble.

• stricklee11
    stricklee11 Posts: 218 Member
    I like the r/loseit subreddit because I find people are more encouraging and give praise more freely. Someone posts "I lost 5 lbs in a month" and you'll see so many upvotes and positive comments. On MFP, I find users to be more jaded or quick to discount or belittle someone on a post.
  • RelCanonical
    jdhcm2006 wrote: »
    I like the r/loseit subreddit because I find people are more encouraging and give praise more freely. Someone posts "I lost 5 lbs in a month" and you'll see so many upvotes and positive comments. On MFP, I find users to be more jaded or quick to discount or belittle someone on a post.

It depends on the person’s size and how much they have to lose. I’m overweight, not morbidly obese, so losing 5lbs at a time would be really unhealthy for me. I would want that pointed out to me bc I don’t want to negatively affect my health in the long run. I think that’s why people question it by asking for their stats. Not to belittle them but to make sure they aren’t doing something detrimental.

Agreed, it's not a fun feeling to cheer someone on only to realize later than their way of obtaining that weight loss was unhealthy, or that they were pushing their body underweight.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member

The community function here is comparatively very positive. I'm active on my profile, and I really appreciate all the friends I've added here commenting, giving tips and likes. It's on the whole a really nice experience.

I'm definitely much more positive/supportive, less questioning on on people's walls than I am in the forum. My reasoning is that if you come into the forums, you are essentially sharing your point of view with the public and if it's something that could lead the public astray, I'll want to challenge that. But people's walls are their own personal space so I'm much more hands off on things that I don't agree with.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,223 Member
    similarly, the r/fitness culture is a little off. The wiki is a really great resource but the posts are largely populated by people asking really specific and/or ridiculous questions and answered by users who seem to assume everyone's goal is to be a monster powerlifter.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    I enjoy reading /loseit. There are some good nuggets to be found there. But the nuggets are buried within a lot of "I'm changing my life tomorrow" posts and NSV/SV types of posts.

It also has kind of a "reddity-y" smug vibe which I don't always care for.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member

I don't want to be cheered on for something I should not be doing. That is not helpful. I have fallen victim to my own stupidity and it held me back from becoming a healthier me for years and years.

Also I have seen MANY people congratulate others for losing ~5 pounds in a month here. MANY. MANY. If it is healthy for a person to lose it then it is great. If it is not someone will say something.
  • Spadesheart
    Spadesheart Posts: 479 Member
    Jruzer wrote: »
    I enjoy reading /loseit. There are some good nuggets to be found there. But the nuggets are buried within a lot of "I'm changing my life tomorrow" posts and NSV/SV types of posts.

It also has kind of a "reddity-y" smug vibe which I don't always care for.

Not gonna lie... Absolutely posting my before and after when I get there.
  • grinning_chick
    grinning_chick Posts: 765 Member
    edited April 2019
    I'm talking losing 70-80 lbs in 6 months for someone who is not even obese to begin with (one post today from a 5'3 women going from 198-131 in 6 months).

A 5'3" woman who is 198 pounds is clinically obese. Right at the distinction between Class II and Class I obesity, to be exact. I am well aware of the Great BMI Debate that's been going on online for practically as long as online diet/health forums have existed. That does not change the fact any healthcare worker who sees her and has access to both her height and weight is going to annotate her medical record as such if she is seen. Same with insurance companies.