using smaller weights more often

Options
angermouse
angermouse Posts: 102 Member
edited April 2019 in Health and Weight Loss
just see another thread about lifting on consecutive days.
I have a question about this. I can only get to the gym 3 days a week usually mon, wed & thurs. i don't use heavy weights as my upper strength is rubbish and weak lower pain throws my form if i use too heavy weight.
anyway my query is that on leg days the next day i feel like ive done a work out. but on arm days i don't feel it. so i do extra dumbbell exercise at home either later that day after gym or/and the next day. i never get doms on the arms or back. is it ok to be doing these extra arm days if its light weights? or am i destroying any progress?

im trying to build my strength with body weight exercise at home doing push ups (kneeling) and pull ups using parralette bars in between gym days, not for long just 10-15mins. sometimes not even that. :/

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    angermouse wrote: »
    just see another thread about lifting on consecutive days.
    I have a question about this. I can only get to the gym 3 days a week usually mon, wed & thurs. i don't use heavy weights as my upper strength is rubbish and weak lower pain throws my form if i use too heavy weight.
    anyway my query is that on leg days the next day i feel like ive done a work out. but on arm days i don't feel it. so i do extra dumbbell exercise at home either later that day after gym or/and the next day. i never get doms on the arms or back. is it ok to be doing these extra arm days if its light weights? or am i destroying any progress?

im trying to build my strength with body weight exercise at home doing push ups (kneeling) and pull ups using parralette bars in between gym days, not for long just 10-15mins. sometimes not even that. :/

It really depends on what you're after. The reasons for not working the same muscle or groups of muscles on consecutive days is a matter of optimal recovery, not DOMs. I rarely get DOMs as I workout regularly...that doesn't mean I've optimally recovered the next day from my squats. Recovery is where muscle and strength development happen...the work is just the catalyst.

But again, this depends on what you're doing and what you're after. It doesn't sound like you're running any kind of established program so at this point what you're doing is likely sub-optimal from a development efficiency standpoint, so it probably doesn't make much difference.

I have the same gym schedule as you and I do a full body workout on Monday and then push on Wed and pull on Thurs. I could do full body on Wed and Thurs, as I don't lift again until Monday, but I'm 44 going on 45 and my recovery isn't what it used to be and it would likely take me all weekend when I want to be out on my bike.
  • angermouse
    Options
    no i dont aim for DOMs it just happens after most leg days. i do go higher weight on legs though so possibly the reason. can i ask what you mean by sub optimal development? i was planning on doing the 5x5 but the area in the gym with the barbells/benches are always busy with the heavy lifters. id look like a flea on that bench if it was free hahaha! im saving to buy a bench and weights for home.
    can you tell me about your work outs, whats your full body push and pull. im learning :) might give me some ideas. i mainly use the machines but if i knew what else to do i could try.

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Since I also end up lifting m/w/th, I'll tell you what works for me. I aim for full body Monday: squats, bench, OHP, deadlifts, row or pullups, and split squats. Wednesday is squat, bench, row. Thursday is deadlifts, OHP, pullups, split squats. Everything gets worked twice, but not on consecutive days.
  • angermouse
    Options
    Since I also end up lifting m/w/th, I'll tell you what works for me. I aim for full body Monday: squats, bench, OHP, deadlifts, row or pullups, and split squats. Wednesday is squat, bench, row. Thursday is deadlifts, OHP, pullups, split squats. Everything gets worked twice, but not on consecutive days.

whats your reps on those, is that the 5x5? how long does your work out last.
    i need to learn how to do that work out obviously with a low weight to start. maybe the muscle bound bench hoggers can show me when im at the gym next :) ill take a note of your split too.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    With your low back issues be careful with Strong Lifts 5x5. It’s an excellent program, but it advocates increasing weights by 5 lbs at every session. I learned by experience that my body can’t handle adding weight that quickly. You may be different. I also discovered that even an empty barbell was too heavy for me (kept straining different muscles) so I am starting over using a lighter curl bar. Also, I couldn’t do the overhead press even with an empty bar, it strained my low back. So I am using a seated barbell overhead press that protects my low back. Just a few things to consider.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    You might like Strong Curves.

There are 3 different workouts a week (A, B, & C).
    The Beginner program from it is a great starting point. It has you do body weight, dumbbell, barbell, and machine exercises the first 4 weeks and then progresses to a harder workout the next 4.

While I highly recommend the book, you can find the templates for the workouts online.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    5x5 works well for my schedule. You don't have to increase weights as prescribed if you're not ready. I tend to play around with my sets and reps when not ready to increase weights.
  • whmscll
    Options
    Yes, that’s what I finally learned to do as well. When I started I was very eager to do the program exactly as written, using the app, which automatically tells you to add 5 lbs. Now I know better.
  • angermouse
    Options
    whmscll wrote: »
    With your low back issues be careful with Strong Lifts 5x5. It’s an excellent program, but it advocates increasing weights by 5 lbs at every session. I learned by experience that my body can’t handle adding weight that quickly. You may be different. I also discovered that even an empty barbell was too heavy for me (kept straining different muscles) so I am starting over using a lighter curl bar. Also, I couldn’t do the overhead press even with an empty bar, it strained my low back. So I am using a seated barbell overhead press that protects my low back. Just a few things to consider.

yes i remember you replied to my other thread, i use dumbbells mainly and a 10kg for deadlift which i might need to practice my form on more.
  • angermouse
    Options
    You might like Strong Curves.

There are 3 different workouts a week (A, B, & C).
    The Beginner program from it is a great starting point. It has you do body weight, dumbbell, barbell, and machine exercises the first 4 weeks and then progresses to a harder workout the next 4.

While I highly recommend the book, you can find the templates for the workouts online.

sounds good, sounds similar to what im doing but mine are clearly all over the place with no structure.
  • angermouse
    Options
    5x5 works well for my schedule. You don't have to increase weights as prescribed if you're not ready. I tend to play around with my sets and reps when not ready to increase weights.

so eager to be able to do the 5x5 programme. no i wouldn't be able to increase as often as every session as prescribed it would be slower i guess. i tried to do heavier weight on the bicep curl machine and ended up in A&E wit h swollen arm. learned my lesson.
  • whmscll
    Options
    For Strong Lifts, there are a lot of really great videos that can show you how to do the various lifts with proper form. They’re super helpful.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    no i dont aim for DOMs it just happens after most leg days. i do go higher weight on legs though so possibly the reason. can i ask what you mean by sub optimal development? i was planning on doing the 5x5 but the area in the gym with the barbells/benches are always busy with the heavy lifters. id look like a flea on that bench if it was free hahaha! im saving to buy a bench and weights for home.
    can you tell me about your work outs, whats your full body push and pull. im learning :) might give me some ideas. i mainly use the machines but if i knew what else to do i could try.

Don’t get intimidated by the heavy lifters. It’s your gym too, if you need the equipment you have as much right to use it as anyone. There’s no shame in lifting light when you start. A lot of people can’t even lift the empty bar at first.
  • angermouse
    Options
    whmscll wrote: »
    For Strong Lifts, there are a lot of really great videos that can show you how to do the various lifts with proper form. They’re super helpful.

i spend time watching how to do exercises right, then a video pops up and says 'your doing it wrong' haha you seen those vids? i may ask some one at the gym to help with my form. they can correct my posture too maybe.
  • angermouse
    Options

Don’t get intimidated by the heavy lifters. It’s your gym too, if you need the equipment you have as much right to use it as anyone. There’s no shame in lifting light when you start. A lot of people can’t even lift the empty bar at first.

in my gym the benches and barbells are all in one area where the power racks and big men are. i go to use the leg press there and there's always someone on the benches and intimidating huge weight plates. i don't even think I've seen a small plate there. most of them take turns on the bench during sets so there's no chance of squeezing in. as i say up thread im saving to get some for home work out.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    The goal is to lift as heavy as "you" can with good form and the required reps. It doesn't matter if someone else lifts more or less weight than you. Everyone has equal right to use the equipment and space, regardless of the amount being lifted. Don't let the amount you're lifting stop you from lifting in the gy be a use you're worried what someone will think. You'll never know what they think and they're worried about how *they're* lifting, not what you're doing.
  • Nokt2018
    Nokt2018 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Strong Lifts 5X5 has an app that is a big help on "what to do".
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,473 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options

i need to learn how to do that work out obviously with a low weight to start. maybe the muscle bound bench hoggers can show me when im at the gym next :) ill take a note of your split too.

You say you want to ask someone for help, and stereotype them? How about paying a trainer for a few session to learn the basics?
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options

in my gym the benches and barbells are all in one area where the power racks and big men are. i go to use the leg press there and there's always someone on the benches and intimidating huge weight plates. i don't even think I've seen a small plate there. most of them take turns on the bench during sets so there's no chance of squeezing in. as i say up thread im saving to get some for home work out.

I've been in gyms all over the US and in Europe, including 3 that make the lists of most hardcore in America. In all of them I have seen 5 pound plates and in may 2.5 pounders.
  • angermouse
    Options
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »

You say you want to ask someone for help, and stereotype them? How about paying a trainer for a few session to learn the basics?

it was said in light banter way, sorry if it never come across like that. i say hello to most of them just don't get into conversation so next time im there ill grab some confidence to ask them to show me.
    i cant afford a PT, i did have one when i first joined but couldn't keep up the cost of it.