Gaining weight friends

2»

Replies

• Myfitnessgoal27
    Myfitnessgoal27 Posts: 5 Member
    Sounds like me. We need to find a shake that adds to our daily intake. I drink milk to help and Ensure. I saw that you said you can't drink milk.

Maybe the person who is offering the pb shake recipe can give another option.

Also, can someone tell me if supplementing with milk is good for macros.
  • JPuffers
    JPuffers Posts: 12 Member
    Sounds like me. We need to find a shake that adds to our daily intake. I drink milk to help and Ensure. I saw that you said you can't drink milk.

Maybe the person who is offering the pb shake recipe can give another option.

Also, can someone tell me if supplementing with milk is good for macros.

Sure but I guess that depends on which macros. Protein and fat are the two it’s richest in. I use the mfp macro breakdown to help me meal/snack plan what to eat for my macro goals. Spend some time checking those out and it will make more sense to you I think.

• wheatbaby84
    wheatbaby84 Posts: 46 Member
    JPuffers wrote: »
    I am having trouble as well, always have. Most people would say that you do not need to gain weight. But only you know what your personal goals are. Let me know what works for you and I can share what works for me.

I am eating like hell.... metabolism is high smh

Do you know what your calorie goal is based on your TDEE? I have always been able to eat like crazy and put on no weight but since I have been tracking my calories/macros and making sure I am eating at regular intervals I have been gaining. I added 5 pounds in the last 2 weeks. Peanut butter shakes are your friend. I have 2 a day one in the morning (with breakfast or as breakfast) and one at night before bed, they add 1,500+ calories a day on top of my regular meals.

My shake is a minimum of 2 servings of peanut butter or Pb fit, 1 tbsp olive oil, 1 banana, 1/3 cup of raw oats, 1 tbsp honey, and 8 oz of chocolate almond cashew protein milk.

I cant drink those because of the milk smh.... my body wont digest milk products correctly. Let alone, it wont stay down! That’s part of my problem!

Almond milk isn’t a dairy product though. I am also intolerant to dairy products. Almond milk is free of dairy, gluten, lactose, whey milk, and casein proteins (milk proteins). It’s literally almonds soaked in water to make a milk substitute. Have you actually tried it before? I had some mashed potatoes made with a little bit of butter and milk the other day and my stomach went nuts. I drink 16 oz or more of almond milk a day in my shakes and I am fine. Hemp milk is also a good substitute too if you haven’t tried that one.

How many calories a day are you at? Are you meeting your goal on Mfp? 2000 isn’t very much especially if your active. I average over 3000 a day usually more like 3,500 sometimes 4000+

Tried silk almond milk it wouldn’t stay down. Ive actually been hitting 2000 sometimes. I dont have the time for 4000. Kids, sports, work! I just probably need more things that are high in calories.
  • JPuffers
    JPuffers Posts: 12 Member
    edited April 2019
    I am having trouble as well, always have. Most people would say that you do not need to gain weight. But only you know what your personal goals are. Let me know what works for you and I can share what works for me.

Do you know what your calorie goal is based on your TDEE? I have always been able to eat like crazy and put on no weight but since I have been tracking my calories/macros and making sure I am eating at regular intervals I have been gaining. I added 5 pounds in the last 2 weeks. Peanut butter shakes are your friend. I have 2 a day one in the morning (with breakfast or as breakfast) and one at night before bed, they add 1,500+ calories a day on top of my regular meals.

My shake is a minimum of 2 servings of peanut butter or Pb fit, 1 tbsp olive oil, 1 banana, 1/3 cup of raw oats, 1 tbsp honey, and 8 oz of chocolate almond cashew protein milk.

I cant drink those because of the milk smh.... my body wont digest milk products correctly. Let alone, it wont stay down! That’s part of my problem!

Almond milk isn’t a dairy product though. I am also intolerant to dairy products. Almond milk is free of dairy, gluten, lactose, whey milk, and casein proteins (milk proteins). It’s literally almonds soaked in water to make a milk substitute. Have you actually tried it before? I had some mashed potatoes made with a little bit of butter and milk the other day and my stomach went nuts. I drink 16 oz or more of almond milk a day in my shakes and I am fine. Hemp milk is also a good substitute too if you haven’t tried that one.

How many calories a day are you at? Are you meeting your goal on Mfp? 2000 isn’t very much especially if your active. I average over 3000 a day usually more like 3,500 sometimes 4000+

Tried silk almond milk it wouldn’t stay down. Ive actually been hitting 2000 sometimes. I dont have the time for 4000. Kids, sports, work! I just probably need more things that are high in calories.

Yeah you just gotta find what works for you. I don’t eat gluten or dairy. It makes finding options hard so I eat a lot of the same things often. I have 3 kids, all in sports, trying to run the house while the other half is in school, and run half of a company... I get it believe me.

Find what works for you and stick to it, tweak it, can you eat bagels? Slather em in peanut butter. Drink coffee? Try adding olive oil to it, one table spoon of olive oil is over a 100 calories. Corn bread, bagels, dense multi grain breads (Dave’s killer bread is bomb I miss it) rice, avocados, chicken salad, potatoes, French fries, chicken, eggs, all easy calorie dense foods. I keep snacks (almonds, peanuts, jerky, cliff bars, RX bars, etc) in my work vehicle for days like today where I spent 12 hrs out of the house with no time to hit a place for lunch. Dinner was 4 servings of minute rice and turkey chili with tortilla chips easy 1200 calories and10 min to cook. Weekends I’ll eat 6 or more eggs and throw some left over meat in with it. If I am barbecuing for the family I’ll throw on a bunch of chicken breast’s and eat em throughout the week as snacks or with meals. Find what works, stick to it and then build off it.

I would say try a few more milk substitutes (hemp, cashew, etc) and see if one works for you my shakes make things so much easier for me, they make up 1500-2200 of my calories a day. Maybe Pb fit blended with water, and some other things to dress it up would be palatable enough to chug down.
  • wheatbaby84

Yeah you just gotta find what works for you. I don’t eat gluten or dairy. It makes finding options hard so I eat a lot of the same things often. I have 3 kids, all in sports, trying to run the house while the other half is in school, and run half of a company... I get it believe me.

Find what works for you and stick to it, tweak it, can you eat bagels? Slather em in peanut butter. Drink coffee? Try adding olive oil to it, one table spoon of olive oil is over a 100 calories. Corn bread, bagels, dense multi grain breads (Dave’s killer bread is bomb I miss it) rice, avocados, chicken salad, potatoes, French fries, chicken, eggs, all easy calorie dense foods. I keep snacks (almonds, peanuts, jerky, cliff bars, RX bars, etc) in my work vehicle for days like today where I spent 12 hrs out of the house with no time to hit a place for lunch. Dinner was 4 servings of minute rice and turkey chili with tortilla chips easy 1200 calories and10 min to cook. Weekends I’ll eat 6 or more eggs and throw some left over meat in with it. If I am barbecuing for the family I’ll throw on a bunch of chicken breast’s and eat em throughout the week as snacks or with meals. Find what works, stick to it and then build off it.

I would say try a few more milk substitutes (hemp, cashew, etc) and see if one works for you my shakes make things so much easier for me, they make up 1500-2200 of my calories a day. Maybe Pb fit blended with water, and some other things to dress it up would be palatable enough to chug down.

I needed this! Omg! Thanks so so much!!!!
  • SashaCmone1102
    SashaCmone1102 Posts: 7 Member
    edited April 2019
    ?
  • wheatbaby84
    I’m rooting for you! Last year around this time I was a very underweight 91 pounds at 5’4”. I have been underweight my entire life and it can get very discouraging. However I finally got tired of not having the body I always wanted and decided to work hard. I found out many things about myself. I learned that my “fast metabolism” was just a case of extreme under eating. I learned that once I stretched my stomach enough I became hungry, something that rarely happened before, and I learned that I have the body type that blessed me with a booty many women work hard for at the gym to attain. It’s lit! Only down side is I may have gained the weight a bit too fast so I have a lil gut to be rid of, but I plan to be there by the end of May. Now I am at a healthy 130lbs and it feels great. So you definitely can do it! Buy all the foods you love and eat lots of it. That’s the way I put the weight on and that helped me to not get overwhelmed and give up. Good luck!
    o5cd7q6n6ohl.jpeg

Thanks so much! So far im seeing results eating 2500 plus calories. I weighed 130 sum when I was in boot camp! I was thick honey! I just want 120!
  • Sexy_Bri
    Sexy_Bri Posts: 3 Member
    I skimmed they here and saw some talk if not being able to drink dairy. Well, same. That has been an issue as I’ve had a doctor tell me to drink more milk when my body can’t properly digest it. That was discouraging. In my lowest weight moments I would drink so many endures and drink milk and it made me sick and insanely bloated. Right now I’m using Lactaid milk in my milk shakes. I sue a bulk gainer powder called Pro Performance Bulk 1340. It contains milk. When taken with milk it produces 1,710 calories. When I haven’t met my calorie intake or just to top off a good day I drink this. I take Lactaid enzyme chewables to help with all the dairy intake. 100% worth it! Also sometimes I use Naked Blue Machine as my liquid base instead of milk. It’s yummy quick calories.
  • Hulkfan1
    Hulkfan1 Posts: 397 Member
    I dropped in, to hopefully help. It is true what some of the other members have stated. You have to be at a calorie surplus to make gains in weight. Now to make the gains and help ensure they are not fat you have to build muscle. Cardio is good but I would suggest slightly reducing some of the cardio and adding some compound 'heavy' lifts. Things like dead-lifts, squat and presses, dips and pull-ups. Remember muscle weighs more than fat and looks better.
    To sustain the extra muscle you need to shift your eating so that you take in more protein. That does not necessarily mean meat... there are plenty of vegan protein powders in the market that will help keep your cholesterol, and fat levels in check.
  • carsforsalebklyn
    carsforsalebklyn Posts: 12 Member
    You’re definitely right about that. I’m in the same position as you trying to put on weight in not easy at all for some of us at least. lol Can’t figure out how to add friends on here but I can use some that can relate. Add me
  • wheatbaby84
    So everyone I dropped down to 109 started a 2500 to 3500 calorie diet and im at 113!!! I also found a vegan no milk no soy protein powder that im going to try!!!!
  • jakeb3
    jakeb3 Posts: 1 Member
    Anyone else find it harder to be self disciplined when calories are up? Crazy I know
  • wheatbaby84
    The vegan protein powder is GROSS!!! I have been self disciplined!!