Chicken Breast Calories Please

Options
Can someone please tell me how many calories are in 3oz or 4oz chicken breast. I have tried looking it up and i get several different answers. TIA

Replies

• Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 41,074 Member
    Options
    do you have a food scale? If not I encourage you to get one so you can weigh your food and get accurate calories in your food journal ...I can't give you the amount because chicken comes in different weights and sizes
  • SkimpyMrsCarter
    SkimpyMrsCarter Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    do you have a food scale? If not I encourage you to get one so you can weigh your food and get accurate calories in your food journal ...I can't give you the amount because chicken comes in different weights and sizes

Yes i have a food scale and i measure by ounces.
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 41,074 Member
    Options

Yes i have a food scale and i measure by ounces.

Is your chicken bone in....boneless skinless...shredded?

for example if your chicken is a boneless chicken breast look for it in the data base...look for one that says ounces then put 3 or 4 (whatever your scale said it weighed) I hope that helps
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    I use the raw chicken entry from Usda, but I do the cooked to raw conversion. So 3 ounces of cooked chicken would be considered 4 ounces of raw.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    If it is bone-in and has skin I use the entry for roasted since I do not eat the skin. A boneless, skinless chicken breast I use raw and use the USDA info.
  • Dilvish
    Dilvish Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    this is a good place to start https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/search/list

However most packaged goods have a nutrition label, unless you bought it direct from the butcher. 4oz of boneless skinless chicken breast is approx. 150 calories, give or take 10 calories.
  • nocgirl72
    nocgirl72 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I assume that is cooked? So many USDA entries the most common is 34 calories per ounce cooked. I’ve been using that one.

Dilvish wrote: »

However most packaged goods have a nutrition label, unless you bought it direct from the butcher. 4oz of boneless skinless chicken breast is approx. 150 calories, give or take 10 calories.

• earlnabby
    edited April 2019
    Options
    nocgirl72 wrote: »
    I assume that is cooked? So many USDA entries the most common is 34 calories per ounce cooked. I’ve been using that one.

Dilvish wrote: »

For the USDA entries read how it is prepared. I weigh all my meat raw because I find it more accurate unless I am estimating a meal out or at someone else's house.

For packaged meat, read the package. Most are values for raw but if there are cooking instructions there will be one label for raw and one label for "Cooked according to directions"
  • zackboomer
    zackboomer Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    hi id like to know this as well
  • zackboomer
    zackboomer Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    does it lose calories as it cooks too because it's becoming lighter in weight
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Chicken breast is so low in calories, nothing much matters. Think about 1-1.5 calories per gram. Its pretty hard to eat 250 calories of chicken breast unless you are a big eater. I buy a rotisserie chicken at Sams or Kroger, eat the legs wings and thighs as two meals with a baked potato. Remove the breast meat and make chicken salad or add a few ounces of the meat to canned chicken noodle soup. Four meals for about $5.
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options

It loses water, not calories.
  • earlnabby
    Options

Boneless, skinless Chicken breasts tend to lose more water than fat so the difference in calories is minimal.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    Chicken breast is so low in calories, nothing much matters. Think about 1-1.5 calories per gram. Its pretty hard to eat 250 calories of chicken breast unless you are a big eater. I buy a rotisserie chicken at Sams or Kroger, eat the legs wings and thighs as two meals with a baked potato. Remove the breast meat and make chicken salad or add a few ounces of the meat to canned chicken noodle soup. Four meals for about $5.

I can do 350-400 in a meal.