What is the correct amount of Marcos?

Options
Does anyone know the correct amount of protien, fat and carbs you should have a day to lose weight?

Replies

• autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Well, it differs by individual. If you set up your account, MyFitnessPal will give you a good starting point.
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    You just have to experiment with different percentages to see what satisfies you the most. For weight loss, it really doesn't matter.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Below are rough numbers in grams. Not required but overall is a good place to stsrt

Protein: .6-1g/lb of bw
    Fats: .35-6g/lb of bw
    Carbs: the rest

Of course, you should adjust based on personal preference.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is all about calories in vs calories out. You may find a particular macro mix that helps you stay on track easier, because it keeps you fuller, so you can aim for that. You also want to make sure to have adequate protein in your diet for muscle retention during weight loss.

I have set macro goals for myself, but my macro intake varies widely, oarticulsrly for carbs and fat, depending on the day. I tried to keep around 25% protein and then my carbs could be 25‰ one day and 55‰ the next. It works for me. I don't think that strict macro tracking is required for weight loss at all.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,124 Member
    Options
    The how to macro thread: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819055/setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets/p1

I just used the site defaults of 50%C 30%F and 20%P. It works fine. Only one I have to pay attention to is the Protein or I tend to not eat enough of it.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I also don’t think calories in vs calories out is the only factor that people need to take into account. Let’s say your taking in 50% of your diet in carbs. Carbs, diabetic or not, spike your blood sugar, meaning your body has to send out tons of insulin to get your blood sugar back down. That works fine for most people except that your body doesn’t need all of those carbs. It’s making plenty of energy off of let’s say 10% of carbs. So that other 40% that can’t be processed into energy gets put to fat. Protein is great as well, it keeps you less hungry. The problem is that protein is eventually turned to glucose in the body as well. Fat is something your body does not have to work to change into something else. It goes through it quickly and it doesn’t fill you up as much. But once your body is eating off the fat it will seek out more fat. That’s the basis of the keto diet. But you can always do just low carb and have it work as well. Im a firm believer that carbs are the reason the majority of America is so obese. If you think back we didn’t have access to a lot of carbs. As the years go by we have more and more access and the pounds start piling on.

50-60% of my daily intake is from carbs because they fill me up. That didn't prevent me from losing 100+ lbs. You can't be in a net positive fat gain if you are in a calorie deficit, it's simply impossible because the body needs energy to function and can't conjure energy from thin air. What evolutionary sense does it make to shut down vital energy-hungry processes just to store carbs for no reason other than "that blog said insulin is a magic energy generator".

To op:
    since you're starting out, I would simply start with the default macros. Later as you diet and understand your food preferences and hunger, you can tweak macros to fit your own situation. If you feel tired on fewer carbs, increase the carbs, if you feel hungry on more carbs, decrease the carbs, if hitting protein is too daunting to where it's not sustainable, decrease it within reason (for health purposes, eating enough protein is important), if fat fills you up, increase fat...etc. Whenever you modify a macro up or down, you will also have to choose what other macros to decrease/increase to reach a 100% distribution.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I also don’t think calories in vs calories out is the only factor that people need to take into account. Let’s say your taking in 50% of your diet in carbs. Carbs, diabetic or not, spike your blood sugar, meaning your body has to send out tons of insulin to get your blood sugar back down. That works fine for most people except that your body doesn’t need all of those carbs. It’s making plenty of energy off of let’s say 10% of carbs. So that other 40% that can’t be processed into energy gets put to fat. Protein is great as well, it keeps you less hungry. The problem is that protein is eventually turned to glucose in the body as well. Fat is something your body does not have to work to change into something else. It goes through it quickly and it doesn’t fill you up as much. But once your body is eating off the fat it will seek out more fat. That’s the basis of the keto diet. But you can always do just low carb and have it work as well. Im a firm believer that carbs are the reason the majority of America is so obese. If you think back we didn’t have access to a lot of carbs. As the years go by we have more and more access and the pounds start piling on.

Bread has historically been an American staple food, along with foods like corn and beans. Pies have also been very popular, there's a reason why "American as apple pie" is a saying.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options

Bread has historically been an American staple food, along with foods like corn and beans. Pies have also been very popular, there's a reason why "American as apple pie" is a saying.

And don't forget potatoes! "Meat and potatoes" is a common way to describe many old-fashioned American diets.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I’m going to be honest, I never had much success with the auto populated macros in mfp. I started with an online nutrition coaching program last Sept and my coach assigns my macros and adjusts as needed. I’m eating about 350 calories more a day and MFP ever gave me and I’m down 54 pounds since sept. I firmly believe in the power of those ratios.

Were you eating back exercise calories? Mfp is designed that you do (that could easily account for a 350cal difference) - but at same time mfp (and other calculators) use population statistics - there will always be ppl that fall outside the bell curve which is why it’s recommended to log for a month and then adjust based on how you are doing achieving your goals