Can I see your back?

Options
This is so embarrassing and I feel like a lost cause...

Can I see your back before/after? Mostly for the women.

My daughter took a picture of me at my desk today...and I almost threw up in disgust. I need help. I have been trying to find workouts that would help eliminate the back fat. I am going to share the picture that she took so you can see truly how horrid it is.

Replies

• DiscusTank5
    DiscusTank5 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up! It isn't really possible to spot reduce, but overall weight loss will help if you are concerned about certain areas.
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    I agree with @ahimes39 but would add that strength training has helped improve my upper arm and back fat. Overall weightloss was the main key though.
  • rickiimarieee
    rickiimarieee Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    Don’t be disgusted or discouraged, it will tone down/get slimmer as your weight loss continues. It doesn’t just come off one place, it comes off from all over.
  • JenSchimanski
    JenSchimanski Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    @paige122012 dont feel horrid, or disgusted. If you want to make a change, you have all the tools and will when you are ready. I have attached my before and after and cant really see a huge difference myself,(side on is more noticeable)
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Well done, you have done the first step! You have established that you want to do something about your health and now you need to start preparing for a healthier lifestyle. I.M.O. you have come to the right place - MFP and so many members are there to help. Let MFP do the calculations and start implementing changes as you go along.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Options
    Sometimes we need something like this as a wake-up moment. Tape the picture to your bathroom mirror or refrigerator and it will remind you why you need to lose weight. Plug your stats into MFP, get your daily calorie goal, buy a digital food scale, start weighing and measuring everything you eat and drink, now you're good to go. Stay within that calorie goal everyday. As for exercise, I swim, but also like the rowing machine at the gym, working with weights, and all the other strengthening machines. I'm 64, and my back is muscled and hard. You can do it, but it will take time and patience. Good luck.
  • whathapnd
    whathapnd Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    I wish I'd taken a picture of my back at my starting weight a few years ago. I had four distinct rolls and thought I looked like a Sharpei. I suspect my reaction was similar to yours.

Everyone is different, so I can't promise you'll lose all of them, but I did. I needed to lose 30lbs to get to a normal BMI, and I did that very slowly. I ultimately lost another 14lbs also very slowly. I did no exercise but wish I had. I'm in the process of losing again, and two of the rolls have returned. I'm planning t exercise this time.

So, my advice is to set a reasonable calorie deficit and start a reasonable exercise program when you can if you're not already exercising. I also suggest getting measured at a department store for proper bra size/bra type. I was way off in the size bra I was wearing. The right bra can really minimize the appearance of back rolls. Cling shirts are also not my friend. (But maybe by the end of the year!)

Good luck!
  • kmfeig87
    kmfeig87 Posts: 1,990 Member
    Options
    For me, losing the back rolls came with losing the weight. I'm not sure if I have a back picture...But as far as spot reducing, it doesn't really work. And although what I really wanted to lose the back fat rolls, I lost the corresponding front rolls first. In other words, my chest reduced and flopped--and then I lost the back fat! (Dang! THOSE weren't the bulges I was concerned about!) Good luck! You can do it!
  • Roza42
    Roza42 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    As you lose it will go down. I actually never took pictures of my back, but strength training will help tighten the skin as you lose. I found that elbow planks and side planks have helped a lot.
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,002 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Trying to delete - cannot find my before
  • IremiaRe
    IremiaRe Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    The back flab is disheartening - but, it gets less with the weightloss. Be aware, though... it will get worse before it gets better... as you lose the weight, everything gets loose and squishy for a while - then it starts to shrink and tighten - but not before it's squelching out all over the place.

Trust me, it will all get better with time and determination.
  • bryanweber52
    bryanweber52 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Develop a plan and take it one day at a time, and try to win each day by staying on your plan. Enjoy each day, and if you deviate - we’re all human, and just get back at it the next day. Once you start to see progress, there’s nothing more addicting than keeping it going.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    The top you are wearing in the photo isn't flattering...I imagine it's a relatively thin clingy material (which is only going to highlight flaws). I wouldn't worry about this 1 picture that much; just focus on your weight loss/fitness goals.

This, and you look like you're slouching a bit. Good posture fixes a lot!

Use it as your motivation to make changes, and have your daughter take a new pic each month so you can see your progress.
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    Stay with it! My back was one of the first places I noticed a difference!
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    I don't have any pics, but the back rolls were one of my least favorite bits of being overweight. The good news is they sort of take care of themselves with weight loss. No special exercises necessary (although lifting is a very good thing, regardless of your end goals) :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!