How often do u think of food in a day?

Options
Bubblywendy
Bubblywendy Posts: 32 Member
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
I'm just getting started here and I find that a whole lot of my head space is filled with food all.the time .. "When do I get to eat next" , " I feel like eating this this and this" , " yumm peanut butter" ," what's for dinner". .... And the list goes on. I can't help it its like a mega food obsession. I tried distracting myself with reading, tv, exercising (which makes me hungry and think of food even more!!) , walking and even sipping on tea... And no, eating something does not diminish the thought...

Can't someone help me stop thinking about food??

Replies

• Laurenluv
    Options
    A lot of the time I can't wait to fall asleep just so I can wake up and eat breakfast! I think that whenever I am on some kind of program like this one, I think about food a lot more because I have to be so much more aware of it. I do find that exercise takes my mind off of it a lot. When I am done working out, all I really want is water and it seems to suppress my appetite for a while. Maybe the more time you spend eating healthy and logging your meals, you'll get used to it and not obsess so much.

I know you hear this a lot, but it has proved so true to me: keeping on a healthy diet will keep your blood sugars even. When they are even, your cravings will lessen. If I have a bad cheat day when I am at some sort of event and I eat a lot more carbs, I find myself thinking (and eating) a lot more food until I force myself to get back on track. Something to consider anyway.

Good luck!
  • alyngard
    alyngard Posts: 103
    Options
    For me, after the first few weeks, it was no longer an issue. If you are used to eating a lot (as I was), yes, you will be hungry initially and therefore thinking about food. I've found that by eating the right types of food, plenty of protein, less processed foods, more fruits and veggies etc, really makes a difference as well. You can feel full on a lot less than you think. I also agree with the previous poster regarding sugar levels, once that levels out a bit, it helps curb the cravings. At this point I really only think about food when I'm preparing it, or if I'm planning on going somewhere during my usual meal times and I have to figure out if I should bring something with me or if I can wait till I get home. It really does get a lot easier, it's just a matter of staying strong for the first few weeks.
  • godsgrl33
    godsgrl33 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I think about food often as well, and I've been doing this for 8 months. Usually, an hour after I eat, I'm looking at the clock and starting to wonder when I will eat next, or what is the next meal. It's not that I'm even hungry-I'm just bored or whatever. You are probably more aware of it because you are trying to lose weight, so it' s at the top of your list of things to think about. You're eating less than you were, so naturally, you will think of food. Stick with it, it will get easier. Just think to yourself-"is it worth the calories in this ______(you fill in the blank) to have to work it off later?" If it is, then have it. If it isn't, then eat something with less calories.
  • christyb77
    christyb77 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    the whole time im awake! what am I going to cook, when am i going to eat....never ends
  • fatzant
    fatzant Posts: 40
    Options
    if i'm awake i'm thinking about food, i'm counting down the mins to my mid morning snack! mmm apples :noway:
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    All the time! It drives me nuts.

I was driving home thinking 'what am I going to have for lunch, I could have this, no it's not that healthy, could have this, no won't fit into my calories' ugh! Good thing is I didn't resist any of the million take away places I drove past.

You have to think about it constantly, in a sense. So that you are prepared. Fail to plan - plan to fail.

I feel some days like I'm obsessed with food :grumble:
  • Synapze
    Synapze Posts: 499
    Options
    Protein! ...and Water! Pack in the Protein, Drink up, and you wont think about it as much.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I pre-plan. I log my diary in the morning with what I intend to eat that day. No more thinking required!

If plans change then it's easy enough to alter the diary.
  • Fattackler2013
    Fattackler2013 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I used to think about food a whole lot, but now it's not really an issue. I've only been eating when I am physically hungry so if I'm not sure I'll drink some water and then see how I feel afterwards. I've been following Paul Mckenna's advice via his Book, CD and DVD combination (I can make you slim) and so far it has been working out great for me.

I hope that you can do something about your thoughts/feelings about food soon because it makes things a lot easier. I wish you the best of luck.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    I am enjoying reading this. Fantastic suggestions in here. I think it's good to have a strong, healthy appetite. It's a first world problem btw lol! I'm with Melanie, it's good to prelog your food, if you can. And yeah, your habits will change.
  • mothib79
    mothib79 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I use to think of food all the time too. You just have to fill your body with the right foods. I eat every 2-3 hours now cause my body needs it since I am now in better shape. Oh and keep drinking water.. Dehydration can be confused as hunger.
  • HealthyVitamins
    HealthyVitamins Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I think about it all the time and like another poster said, after my evening meal I cant wait to go to sleep to have breakfast :)

I do drink water, and protein in every meal - I still think about it though even though I'm not hungry.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Was all the time. Now since starting 4:3 I hardly think of food at all. In fact I hardly think of counting it anymore.
  • elephant_in_the_room
    elephant_in_the_room Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I believe as soon as you are on an energy deficit, you start to be preoccupied with food. The more severe the deficit, the more. It's how nature has wired our most urgent survival instinct into us, and it's what makes weight loss so hard.

You can try tricks: pre-planning takes the obvious actual necessity to think of food away. So do (possibly) intermittent fasting strategies like 5:2.

Other tricks are trying to alleviate the feeling of hunger. One that is rarely mentioned: Try chewing chewing gum (without sugar) for extended periods of time when you can't eat.
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Pre-logging helps me not overeat (if my day goes according to schedule and I can actually eat what I logged). That way, you can plan a meal that will stay within your limits and if you sit down the night before and plan your meal, the next day, you already know what you're going to eat. So, you don't sit there and wonder, "Hmm, this sounds good for lunch...No, maybe..." Try that. Even if it doesn't stop your cravings, I still think pre-logging works w keeping you in your limits, and that's really what it's all about.
  • drefaw
    drefaw Posts: 739
    Options
    I pre-plan. I log my diary in the morning with what I intend to eat that day. No more thinking required!

If plans change then it's easy enough to alter the diary.

^^THIS^^
  • bettbett87
    bettbett87 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    So much of my day revolves around food because I'm trying to figure out where in our busy lives I can fit in meals for the children. So I'm always trying to think of something healthy that is also suitable for my children and their nutritional needs. Trying to fit this around working part time, keeping them entertained, going to the gym and putting them to bed is hard work!
    Also, at the weekends, food is such a central part to how I plan what to do with my day. Do I go out for lunch with the family? Do we go for a picnic? What will we have when we get home from shopping? What can I snack on while I watch a movie with my boyfriend.

I don't think about food because I'm hungry, I think about it because it's a hobbie! And an important part of my role as a mother!
  • strongmindstrongbody
    strongmindstrongbody Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I wish I could say it gets better, but as I get further into the weight loss and have to cut calories more, my focus on food is through the roof. All I can say to myself is, look but don't touch. (And hope that my appetite dies down soon!)
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Less than Sex .

But its still A LOT
  • BlackPup
    BlackPup Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I'm always thinking about food. Like some of the others I tend to preplan, if I get hungry at night I start planing the next day!
    I find it easier to keep to calories when I eat healthy foods than if I eat junk foods high carbs or fast foods.
    Exercise is good cos you should eat back the calories so if I'm really hungry then I exercise enough for a snack.
    Try to notice what emotions are associated with your preoccupation with food, is it Bordem, loneliness, sadness, low self esteem, stress etc or are you actually thirsty, if I'm really hungry I'll try to have a couple of drinks.
This discussion has been closed.