Deadlifts

Options
Samm471
Samm471 Posts: 432 Member
Okay question about deadlifts.

If you are in a deficit and doing well with deadlifts but hit your highest working weight and just simply can’t increase the weight lifted what would you do?

For example if you can easily do 50kg for 12 reps
70kg for 10 reps
80kg for 8
Then hit 90kg and can’t get any more than 4/5 reps what would you do?

Should you then consider doing strength reps for a few weeks on deadlifts then go back and try doing your heaviest set for higher reps?

Need advice TIA!

Replies

• Samm471
    Options
    Or should you just stick to 90kg and try to get more reps and work at it. Trying to maintain the strength you have while in a deficit?
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Personally I would continue trying to add reps. But I work on pyramids (not deadlifts atm, cos marathons), so I take a starting weight and do 10reps at that, then take the weights up in increments (as I've been doing upper body I've only been taking it up 1kg) while reducing the reps in the set by one, so by my top set it's just one rep only I AMRAP that top set (so it might be 1 or it might be 5). The next session increase the bottom set by one increment. That way I'm getting both volume and pure strength work in and I've increased my bench 1rpm from 44kg to 56kg this year (although as I've been marathon training I have been in a surplus)
  • bjjnerd1984
    bjjnerd1984 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Lower the reps and lift heavier weight.
  • Samm471
    Options
    Lower the reps and lift heavier weight.

So for this example

Warm up- bar only 12 reps
    50kg x 8 reps
    70kg x 6 reps
    80kg x 5 reps
    90kg x 3 reps
    95kg x 2/3 reps

Also how many sets for that 95kg?

• tirowow12385
    tirowow12385 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    I am using 5/3/1 and I just progressively overload by 5% per month, after 6 months in the gym, I went from deadlifting 200 lbs to 400 lbs at 180 lbs, am a male. I feel amazing and no injury, burn out or over training. I hope to get stronger.

• Samm471
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    I would change my training to a program that had regulation of proper load management for all lifts which includes progression of volume in the long term. Not wing a weight without knowing how to program.

This is the best advice I could possibly give you.

Thanks I done SL 5x5 a couple of years ago which worked wonders, so decided to go with that for the next 6-8 weeks and see how that goes, then go back to an 8-12 rep scheme and see if I can see a difference in the deadlifts
  • Samm471
    Options
    I am using 5/3/1 and I just progressively overload by 5% per month, after 6 months in the gym, I went from deadlifting 200 lbs to 400 lbs at 180 lbs, am a male. I feel amazing and no injury, burn out or over training. I hope to get stronger.

I’d love to give the 5/3/1 programme a try, all I’ve ever heard is good things about it. I just can’t seem to find a workout template anywhere online for it

• firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Samm471 wrote: »

I’d love to give the 5/3/1 programme a try, all I’ve ever heard is good things about it. I just can’t seem to find a workout template anywhere online for it

There's an app for android at least that calculates everything for you. Vandersoft wendler log its called
  • shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Samm471 wrote: »

Support the work and buy the book, 2nd edition, or better yet, Beyond 5/3/1 then get the Five3One Pro app. There are so many bad descriptions of the program out there that the book is needed to cut through the junk.

I have both books on my Kindle collection and refer to them at various times.