Losing Weight Without Logging

Options
I have been maintaining pretty good over the past couple years without logging any food. I did log for the first couple years and lost about 60 lbs, and used that time to teach myself how to eat better, and once I did that, I could maintain without logging.

I still want to lose another 25 lbs, and wanted to see if I could lose without logging.

In the past month I have lost 5 lbs without logging. So I guess I can... :)

Replies

• neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Well done! I don't trust myself yet to do that and fully use all assistance from MFP and its members. I am "only" with MFP for a year now and still have to lose a rather big amount of weight. I certainly hope that one day in the very distant future I will be on maintenance and that I will be able to control my daily calorie intake as every healthy human should be able to do.
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    wow I hope to do that one day, I am beginning to know how much to eat, about 1/2 what I use to. I also worked on my emotional eating by journaling and that seems to keep me from overeating. Also talking to myself, You don't want to wake up sad and disappointed when on that scale!
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    vanityy99 wrote: »
    Awesome. You learned how to lose weight and maintain without using a crutch. Congrats on your weight loss so far.

Lol, logging is a tool, not a crutch.

My father could do math in his head. I need pencil and paper, or better yet, a calculator. Is that calculator a crutch or a tool? Was my father morally superior to me?

https://www.filtod.com/writing/229-tool-vs-crutch
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,981 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    vanityy99 wrote: »
    Awesome. You learned how to lose weight and maintain without using a crutch. Congrats on your weight loss so far.

Lol, logging is a tool, not a crutch.

My father could do math in his head. I need pencil and paper, or better yet, a calculator. Is that calculator a crutch or a tool? Was my father morally superior to me?

https://www.filtod.com/writing/229-tool-vs-crutch

I'm not convinced.
    Tool (n.) – An object that adds or makes your current strengths more efficient or allows them to be shown in the best light.

Crutch (n.) – An object that fills in the gap of your weakness and allows you to function temporarily at a higher level than you are capable of without it.

This just begs the question (in the proper use of the phrase). One's ability to do something today could equally be described as one's current strength or one's weakness (compared to some greater level of ability that may or may not be achievable by that person).

The problem with "crutch" is that it is a negatively-loaded term, conveying, as L1zardQueen pointed out, an assertion of moral superiority for people who don't use a crutch.
  • rickiimarieee
    rickiimarieee Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    OldAssDude wrote: »
    I have been maintaining pretty good over the past couple years without logging any food. I did log for the first couple years and lost about 60 lbs, and used that time to teach myself how to eat better, and once I did that, I could maintain without logging.

I still want to lose another 25 lbs, and wanted to see if I could lose without logging.

In the past month I have lost 5 lbs without logging. So I guess I can... :)

During my process so far I haven’t been logging. At first when I started a year and a half ago, I did log but I still weigh my food and everything else. But I’m able to keep track of my calories without logging. So far I’m 37 pounds down.