dehydration

what’s your sure fire way of telling whether or not you’re dehydrated and retaining water?

Replies

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited April 2019
    Some people look at their pee, but for me, personally, it's not necessary. If I'm thirsty it means I need more water, if I'm not, it means I don't.

ETA: Retaining water doesn't necessarily mean you are dehydrated. It happens for a variety of reasons. The surefire way to know I'm retaining water is if I'm doing what I usually do and it usually results in weight loss, then I suddenly gain weight, it means I'm retaining water for whatever reason.
  • endermako
    endermako Posts: 785 Member
    Before i got in shape I was chronically dehydrated and just didn't know it. I never felt thirsty until I was at the point of being really sick from dehydration. When I started to work up to a gallon of water a day, I monitored my pee. Now I can feel thirst and don't need to look at my pee anymore.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Retaining water: my fingers feel fatter and uncomfortable when I make a tight fist, TOM bloating, my socks imprint on my ankles (rare), or my muscles are sore after a good workout. Dehydration: darker urine, headache, thirst.
  • lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    Hydration is a common discussion on these boards. One thing not discussed often is how dehydration feels. Personally I've been dehydrated twice in the past year. Once was due to the flu and the other from altitude sickness. Let me say that being dehydrated feels really crappy. Headache yes, also exhaustion and dizziness are common symptoms.

Anyways, I drink when I feel thirsty and check urine color at times. I'm more careful when ill or at higher elevations because I'm more prone to dehydration at these times.

I know when I'm retaining water because my fingers swell.