This time it is a journey

Options
I have sporadically tried losing weight over the last 15 years. It has always been successful... for awhile, but I always end up going back to old ways and gaining back what I lost and then some. This time I am approaching it different. I allow myself to not be perfect. This last weekend was rough. I fell completely off plan. Instead of throwing in the towel and saying this will never work, I got right back on track on Monday. It is a journey not a race (sometimes I have to remind myself that if I start to feel impatient). Anyone else struggle with this or have had success this way?

Replies

• RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    I'm always 80% there. Definitely a game of horseshoes and grenades. I give myself unlimited maintenance days because it helps my brain know that if I'm struggling, I can always have a little extra. Stops me from resisting too hard and giving into inevitable cravings.
  • laceygaywilson
    laceygaywilson Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    All things in moderation!!! If you restrained from all fun food when you do give in it will cost you more!!! Better to eat what you want when you want....but eat when you are hungry stop when you are satisfied!! Food is fuel..... doesn't mean it can't be fun!!! Change your lifestyle mindset!!! You got this!!!
  • Jamie2663
    Jamie2663 Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    I have definitely been more successful this time around not trying to force myself to never go off plan :)
  • Kimmotion5783
    Kimmotion5783 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Yep, it happens to everyone at some point. We all go through bad days, hard times, ups and downs in life. I recently lost my mother to cancer, which sent me into a depression. Despite my best intentions, I fell off course and binged. At the same time, I eased up on myself, and I allowed myself space to grieve and process what I was going through; it's okay to not be okay and I'll just get back on track when I'm good and ready, which I did. It happens. we're only human and bound to give into temptation every now and then. That's okay. What matters is that we allow ourselves to be human, pick ourselves back up and keep trying. Keep going and don't give up. Don't quit. Had a bad day and went way over on calories? Join the club! It's okay, it happens. Don't beat yourself up over it. Just get right back on track at the next meal.