Sweet fix on no bread, pasta, rice, sugar

Options
2»

Replies

• RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    I do not cut out sugar like you do - I still drink soda (*gasp*). But the ripe pineapples at my local grocery store have been like candy lately. Soooo good, 100g is only 50 calories, and has some fiber. In the winter, I was all over the clementines/cuties/halos whatever they call those little mandarin oranges. In summer, strawberries are awesome. Basically whatever fruit is in season at the moment is going to be the best-tasting treat and be more satisfying.

You just made me really excited for when our local farmers market opens up again. So so good fruits and vegetables.
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    -cubed sweet potatoes roasted with cinnamon
    -sliced butternut squash brushed with fresh lime juice and roasted, kind of tasted like candy to me
  • durhammfp
    durhammfp Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    -cubed sweet potatoes roasted with cinnamon
    -sliced butternut squash brushed with fresh lime juice and roasted, kind of tasted like candy to me

Mmmm that sounds great. I love roasted sweet potatoes and roasted butternut squash. Roasted acorn squash is pretty nice too. And a lot of veggies that don't seem so palatable otherwise, kinda sweeten up when roasted. Thinking of parsnips here.

93058 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I learned this dessert on WW. I take a ripe banana, mash it up. Add 1 egg, 2T. cocoa powder, 1 T. gluten free flour, a touch of cinnamon and mix it all up. I use a small pyrex dish, spray it with Pam , add ingredients. Put in microwave for 3 minutes. Cut it up in cubes and enjoy.
  • SunLovinMia
    SunLovinMia Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I knew fruit was an automatic go to, I just wanted to spice things up a bit. I had the roasted sweet potato for dinner yesterday’s that was a good idea. It was delicious. I’m going to experiment with different fruits and different ways to serve them. Everyday I want to have something sweet other than fruit. I guess I should just retrain my brain, it’s just hard hahah.
    I’m just curious, but why are you eliminating these foods?

I’m addicted to bread, sugar, junk, so I’m trying to get out of the habit. What works best for is the all or nothing method. Once I get a taste I just want to have more and I have little impulse control. From research I have done, cutting out these are good way to kickstart weight loss as long as I am including enough fruits, vegetables, nuts, and proteins. Oh, and plenty of water! I’m only planning to do this for a month, but I may do it longer, it really depends on how I feel. Today is day 3 and I feel great. I don’t feel bloated like I always do, and I don’t feel as sluggish through out the day. I am less tired all the way around.
  • SunLovinMia
    SunLovinMia Posts: 17 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I’m currently cutting out bread, rice, pasta and any added sugar unless it’s honey or naturally part of the food. Those of you that are on a similar diet, what is your go to for a sweet fix.

I’m looking for something outside of smoothies and protein drinks.
    Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I knew fruit was an automatic go to, I just wanted to spice things up a bit. I had the roasted sweet potato for dinner yesterday’s that was a good idea. It was delicious. I’m going to experiment with different fruits and different ways to serve them. Everyday I want to have something sweet other than fruit. I guess I should just retrain my brain, it’s just hard hahah.
    I’m just curious, but why are you eliminating these foods?

I’m addicted to bread, sugar, junk, so I’m trying to get out of the habit. What works best for is the all or nothing method. Once I get a taste I just want to have more and I have little impulse control. From research I have done, cutting out these are good way to kickstart weight loss as long as I am including enough fruits, vegetables, nuts, and proteins. Oh, and plenty of water! I’m only planning to do this for a month, but I may do it longer, it really depends on how I feel. Today is day 3 and I feel great. I don’t feel bloated like I always do, and I don’t feel as sluggish through out the day. I am less tired all the way around.

I get that some people are abstainers rather than moderators. However, replacing sugar with honey is like wanting to eliminate vodka and switching to gin. (Unless you can't stand the taste of gin, and so naturally drink less.)

Also, if you replace added sugar with dried fruit you may not end up reducing your total sugar consumption at all. I can get a sugar buzz off of dates faster than from birthday cake.

I get that your goal is to reduce trigger foods. My concern is that some of the swaps you are considering are too equivalent. Try fresh fruit instead.

I get what you are saying, and I completely agree. I only use honey sparingly, one, because it’s expensive and two it’s too sweet for me. The same with dried fruit. On a rare occasion, I will eat dried fruit, but, again, it’s too sweet for me and the texture throws me off.

I’m not too worried about the sugar in fruit as those sugars are digested differently compared to simple carbs, not to mention, all things in moderation.

What I was looking for was something to end the day on after, sort of like a healthy dessert after dinner. It doesn’t have to be anything big, rather something that cures my sweet craving at the end of the day. I may just eat a piece of fruit or a small bowl of berries until my body gets used to that routine and begins to crave that instead.

Not sure what you mean by this. Fruits ARE simple carbs.

Rather than saying simple carbs, I guess I should have said breads, pastas and such.

According to DiabetesDaily
    "Fruits contain some simple sugars like fructose and glucose, however they also contain longer chain carbohydrates that take longer to digest and absorb. These carbohydrates come pre-packaged with 5 essential nutrients that are absolutely required for optimal digestion, absorption and transport." Vitamins, Minerals, Fiber, water, and anti-oxidents.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    I completely understand what you are saying. I have trigger foods I need to avoid as well. It may sound odd, but at the beginning of my weight loss journey when I was struggling a lot with my sweet tooth, I followed the advice of a podcast I listen to by increasing my protein. It sounded counter-intuitive to me. But it helped me a lot with keeping me from binging on the same foods you mention. I was able to be satisfied with smaller servings of sweet things if my protein was increased. (I keep tuna snack packs in my desk at work to help with this)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,922 Member
    Options
    I completely understand what you are saying. I have trigger foods I need to avoid as well. It may sound odd, but at the beginning of my weight loss journey when I was struggling a lot with my sweet tooth, I followed the advice of a podcast I listen to by increasing my protein. It sounded counter-intuitive to me. But it helped me a lot with keeping me from binging on the same foods you mention. I was able to be satisfied with smaller servings of sweet things if my protein was increased. (I keep tuna snack packs in my desk at work to help with this)

This is true for me as well - increasing protein (and fruit) decreased my cravings for foods like baked goods and ice cream.

I think a lot of time when I had the munchies what I really wanted was protein, but my signals got crossed.

Oh, regular exercise decreases cravings for me as well.
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    I like sweetener mixed into Philadelphia cheese and then sugar free jelly smooshed into it
  • MrsP55805
    MrsP55805 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    This is a simple and boring answer but I have a few raisins with my breakfast in the morning and it helps. Or unsweetened vanilla flavored almond milk.
  • kkspears9
    kkspears9 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    If you are doing keto at all.. nutbutter, 1 egg and plant based sugar substitute.. mix, make into small balls, cross hatch for pb cookies... bake at 350at 8-10 min
  • simmoner4
    simmoner4 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Apples baked with cinnamon 👍🏻