Formal dress hesitation

Options
Saskatchebun
Saskatchebun Posts: 46 Member
edited April 2019 in Motivation and Support
5t7qzrdp1wpt.jpg
s3g7gdjcl6f1.jpg

I'm going to a formal Gala Ball on Saturday...I'm down almost 30 lbs and happy with my progress but have at least 35 to go still until my goal. I loved this dress when I tried it on but now I'm second guessing myself with my belly, back fat and saddle bags all showing. I dont want to squeeze into spanx so do you think this looks "ok" as is? I love the boobs at least. I'm terrified someone's going to ask 'how far along I am.' I'll just have to tell them about 2 pizzas and some chicken wings 😂

Replies

• RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    I think it looks good! I’d have the hair in an updo to keep the attention upwards and wear a large contrasting color-popping necklace with it to draw the eye up. Smaller earrings but definitely an oversized statement piece necklace, just my opinion. Have a ball at the Ball :)
  • Saskatchebun
    Options
    I think it looks good! I’d have the hair in an updo to keep the attention upwards and wear a large contrasting color-popping necklace with it to draw the eye up. Smaller earrings but definitely an oversized statement piece necklace, just my opinion. Have a ball at the Ball :)

Thank you! I appreciate your thoughts! 🤗
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    You look gorgeous in the dress.
    Wear it.

I love the idea of wearing a statement necklace, or earrings.

If you have time before the event look for a slip, underskirt. Not one that fits like spanx, but one that is body skimming, I like a thigh length with a built in strapless bra when needed.
    It’s not a case of holding you in so tight you can’t breath and are uncomfortable, it’s more about smoothing out, giving an extra fabric between your body and the dress so it doesn’t cling in the same way, showing (maybe) bra and panty lines, but glides over and around your body.

Good foundation wear can make or break a dress.

Cheers, h.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    I think you look gorgeous in that dress and should wear it! I agree with the above suggestions regarding a statement necklace and shapewear. I have some shapewear that is under the bust to thigh length that I got at Target. It doesn't have to be squeezed into and is as comfortable as normal underwear, it just smoothes out the lumps and bumps a bit and helps fight any clinging from the fabric which makes me feel more confident.
  • AmyC2288
    AmyC2288 Posts: 386 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Love the dress and shoes! Especially the neckline cut- very flattering! I second the others who suggest some shapewear that goes from under bust to mid thigh. There are different levels of strength- get a light hold one and it will probably help with some of your hesitation and make you feel more comfortable without squeezing you to death. :)

ETA: I dont think you look pregnant at all!
  • cheriej2042
    cheriej2042 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    You look fabulous! Agree with previous comments. I would put some spanx or similar on to smooth out the outer hips. Curvy is in!
  • twilly910
    twilly910 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    You look fabulous - The neckline is so flattering. Wear a beautiful necklace and it will draw the eye up (not that you need to, but it's a great trick). Have a wonderful time!
  • New_Heavens_Earth
    New_Heavens_Earth Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Are those the shoes you're going to wear with it? Red platform heel? Looks good. I was going to suggest some killer heels, but it looks like you have that covered.
  • Saskatchebun
    Options
    You look gorgeous in the dress.
    Wear it.

I love the idea of wearing a statement necklace, or earrings.

If you have time before the event look for a slip, underskirt. Not one that fits like spanx, but one that is body skimming, I like a thigh length with a built in strapless bra when needed.
    It’s not a case of holding you in so tight you can’t breath and are uncomfortable, it’s more about smoothing out, giving an extra fabric between your body and the dress so it doesn’t cling in the same way, showing (maybe) bra and panty lines, but glides over and around your body.

Good foundation wear can make or break a dress.

Cheers, h.

Thank you! I'll look for something like that, when I've tried shapewear I found it rolls down around my ribs but maybe if it has the bra built in then that would work better!
  • Saskatchebun
    Options
    Are those the shoes you're going to wear with it? Red platform heel? Looks good. I was going to suggest some killer heels, but it looks like you have that covered.

Thank you! I really want to wear them but they cut my feet up something fierce! I'm trying to find another pair that wont hurt so badly.
  • Saskatchebun
    Options
    puffbrat wrote: »
    I think you look gorgeous in that dress and should wear it! I agree with the above suggestions regarding a statement necklace and shapewear. I have some shapewear that is under the bust to thigh length that I got at Target. It doesn't have to be squeezed into and is as comfortable as normal underwear, it just smoothes out the lumps and bumps a bit and helps fight any clinging from the fabric which makes me feel more confident.

Thank you! I'll definitely be going to try some on. Find a happy medium that'll smooth but be comfier :) I would definitely feel more confident with some smoothing out!
  • Saskatchebun
    Options
    twilly910 wrote: »
    You look fabulous - The neckline is so flattering. Wear a beautiful necklace and it will draw the eye up (not that you need to, but it's a great trick). Have a wonderful time!

Thank you! I'm excited to go!
  • Saskatchebun
    Options
    You look fabulous! Agree with previous comments. I would put some spanx or similar on to smooth out the outer hips. Curvy is in!

Thanks! I'm going to go find some for sure!
  • Saskatchebun
    Options
    AmyC2288 wrote: »
    Love the dress and shoes! Especially the neckline cut- very flattering! I second the others who suggest some shapewear that goes from under bust to mid thigh. There are different levels of strength- get a light hold one and it will probably help with some of your hesitation and make you feel more comfortable without squeezing you to death. :)

ETA: I dont think you look pregnant at all!

I'll try that for sure. Thank you - hopefully the shapewear will guarantee that! Lol
  • Saskatchebun
    Options
    You look beautiful . I'd do the Spanx..or get a size bigger and have it altered to look perfect all over. .. it does look perfect on top.. but it is too tight on the bottom. Another idea would be to wear a shear shawl that would break up the stomach and hip area but you still see your dress through the fabric but no flaws....maybe something in a shear red.

Yes I agree, the bottom is what's making me uncomfortable for table so I think I'll try to find some shapewear and see if that cuts it!
  • BrindleRun
    BrindleRun Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I think you look great! I find that I usually feel self conscious in fitted clothes, like “oh no people will know I have a butt and hips.” Be confident and remember to have good posture. Love the shoes