Lifting but loosing weight

Masterchef2000
Masterchef2000 Posts: 127 Member
So I’ve been lifting since June of last year. My squat weight and others are still going up but I noticed I’m loosing weight. I’m within normal weight range for my height but obviously looking to loose the fat more. I just started including HIIT sprints a few weeks ago, 2 days a week, lifting heavy and running for about 15 mins immediately after lifting 3 days a week. My measurements that have stayed the same for the most part have started shrinking.

So my question is: can I assume my weight loss is from fat if my weights while lifting is still going heavier? I’m fairly new at this but from what I can gather, cardio is bad for loosing muscle if you do too much but sprints should help me hold onto it. I really don’t wanna start killing everything I’ve worked so hard for.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    cardio is not 'bad' for muscle, a massive calorie deficit is what causes muscle loss.

if you're losing weight and dont want to, you simply need to eat more.
  • Masterchef2000
    edited April 2019
    Not about really wanting to loose weight per say but the fat. I just need some more insight as to whether my current weight loss can be assumed to be from fat vs muscle since I am still progressively lifting heavier. I was confused as the more added sprints I am doing could be the cause behind suddenly dropping some weight.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited April 2019
    Not wanting to not loose weight I just need some more insight as to whether my current weight loss can be assumed to be from fat vs muscle since I am still progressively lifting heavier.

you're not doing anything that suggests you're excessively burning muscle.
  • Masterchef2000
    Sweet, thank you.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,393 Member
    How fast are you losing?
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited April 2019

So my question is: can I assume my weight loss is from fat if my weights while lifting is still going heavier?

I would argue that just because the intensity is growing on your lift(s), it isn't a given you are only losing fat. Muscle loss takes place during weight loss, we hopefully utilize scientific means to reign the loss to a minimum.

Gains in intensity can be a result of many things.

1. It could just be a recent stress reduction(deload)that dissipated fatigue. Many people think they have gotten stronger which isn't necessarily the case.

2. A build up of useful stress over weeks/months that you are responding to sensitively.

3. You've become more efficient at a particular lift.

4. Your programming is peaking you.