Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Do I need to cut something out?

So I started my weight loss at 320 roughly. Last week I jumped on the scale and I was 291 and was ecstatic. But I jumped on it a few times since then. Two days later I was 293, now today I'm 294 pushing 295. What the heck is going on here??? My diet is usually 2,000 calories or under, and I workout nearly every single day burning 400+ calories.

Replies

• estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    It could be water weight or hormones. Your name doesn't tell me if you're male or female, but if it's the latter, time of month is one more factor that can mask fat loss.

How are you measuring your food intake?
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Weight loss is not linear and for some people can swing up to 5-7 lbs in a given week. What's more important is the overall trend and as long as that is moving down, you are fine. Some people find it easier to weigh in weekly or monthly for that reason, personally, I don't mind seeing the swings so weigh in daily.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,289 Member
    Totally normal weight fluctuations. It's common to lose a lot in the first few days, but that's all water weight. This is a great article that will ease your mind.

http://physiqonomics.com/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-weight-and-fluctuations/
  • BaguetteChaude
    BaguetteChaude Posts: 25 Member
    As mentionned before, it could be water weight or hormones.
    Is your workout routine new ? You could retain water from this
    Are you making sure to weight yourself always at the same time ?
    Are you using a food scale ?

Cutting out any type of food won't change a thing if you stay within the same calorie intake
  • prap2016
    prap2016 Posts: 6 Member
    As mentionned before, it could be water weight or hormones.
    Is your workout routine new ? You could retain water from this
    Are you making sure to weight yourself always at the same time ?
    Are you using a food scale ?

Cutting out any type of food won't change a thing if you stay within the same calorie intake

my workout is about 3ish weeks old, I always weigh myself at about 8:30 am and my scale is a weightwatchers digital one but I've heard they're not entirely reliable. I have a dial scale and wondering if I should start using it instead.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 8,272 Member
    Get an electronic food scale and try to weigh in grams and ml. Cup and tablespoon weighing can be very inaccurate. Even after I think I “know” eyeball amounts, it fools me. Food, like people, has its ups and downs. One day a giant handful of strawberries is 100 grams, the next its only 3 giant strawberries. I’m at the bottom of my almond butter, where it’s thicker, and the same size spoonful weighs 50% or more than a “normal” spoonful. If my cocoa is packed down, it weighs twice as much. There’s some great threads in here with tips on weighing that have been very helpful

And check the accuracy of the line items you use. Some are terribly off. This morning I discovered the one I was using for avacado was way off and had to choose a new one. Unfortunately, MFP will default to the old one now for a while unless I remember to select the more accurate one.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,439 Member
    This thread has some great tips and tricks to help you as you're learning to use a food scale.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10634517/you-dont-use-a-food-scale/p1
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 14,131 Member
    Weight trend app or web site

Food scale

Double check entries you use with USDA standard reference

Initial loss may contain a lot of "water weight" including glycogen depletion. The amount of water you drink won't greatly affect your water weight balance.

Excluding the first couple of weeks I would keep my weight trend rate of loss at 1% or less of bodyweight per week when looked at over a several week (4+) basis.

Make sure your scale is on an unyielding level and consistent piece of flooring...
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    could be water retention from sodium or from new exercise/increased intensity, which is totally normal
  • grinning_chick
    grinning_chick Posts: 765 Member
    edited April 2019
    Weight loss is not linear and for some people can swing up to 5-7 lbs in a given week.

Pbbffftt. Amateurs. I can swing 10 lbs in a matter of days and have never been over $2.50 weight-wise. :)

If you weigh more than once a week, OP, the day to day fluctuations will do nothing but drive you to despair if you don't learn to ignore them and only look at trends and where you are at every calendar quarter.

For the record, it took me almost four years (YMMV, of course) before I was able to reliably ignore it and keep the "All or NOTHING!!" dieting twerp locked in the basement regardless of what the scale said after I stepped on it.