Fueling long morning runs

2»

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    beerfoamy wrote: »

Now I have a goal of running a half without fuelling!! :# thanks @TavistockToad :#

Why?!

I don't know lol - competitive streak?

well, as the Americans say, have at it!!! :drinker: but the reason i do fuel them now is to make it a less miserable experience....!

Seriously. Could I run a half unfueled? Probably.

Does it end well? Not usually. I *like* remembering how to put on pants.

(I know people are all "but you carry enough glycogen stores to fuel a half!" I typically don't -- I'm not low carb/keto, but I'm lower than the SAD, and average 130 gm or less of carb a day... I was *shocked* at a recommendation I saw in Runners' World to eat something like 4 gm of carb per pound of body weight when pre-half carb loading, and I was all... OMG, I barely eat half of that when I load.)

I am doing my first full this year and that's the same calculation I found... that's over 500g of carbs... I don't know how I feel about that!!! :laugh:
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member

Now I have a goal of running a half without fuelling!! :# thanks @TavistockToad :#

Why?!

well, as the Americans say, have at it!!! :drinker: but the reason i do fuel them now is to make it a less miserable experience....!

(I know people are all "but you carry enough glycogen stores to fuel a half!" I typically don't -- I'm not low carb/keto, but I'm lower than the SAD, and average 130 gm or less of carb a day... I was *shocked* at a recommendation I saw in Runners' World to eat something like 4 gm of carb per pound of body weight when pre-half carb loading, and I was all... OMG, I barely eat half of that when I load.)

I am doing my first full this year and that's the same calculation I found... that's over 500g of carbs... I don't know how I feel about that!!! :laugh:

That would be 640 for me - at my highest I was doing abt 490g carbs a day but I could get to that if I wanted - the 2 days before events I up my carbs to that 490 level
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member

Why?!

I eat a lot of carbohydrates and technically I can (and have) run a half fasted and unfueled . . . but it is much more fun for me fueled.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member

Why?!

I mean, even if I inhaled pure sugar, for me, it would ~1900 calories in straight carbs. With a TDEE of ~2100, that's only leaving me about 200 for then fat and protein, and urp, nope, I'll just have some fruit gummies while I run instead.
  • runnermom419
    runnermom419 Posts: 366 Member

Why?!

I can and have ran fasted up to ~8 miles. Anything longer than that, I'll aim to have a bagel with peanut butter and a banana or toast with PB and a banana. I'm hit or miss on whether I take a fuel at mile 5 for a long run of 9 or more.

Exactly on the "remembering how to put on pants". Sometimes the fuels are for recovery. I ran a half last year and actually ended up taking 3 gels (don't ask me why, I felt the need to take one at mile 5, 10 and 11.5). It was HOT and I was running with a pace group. I remember saying "Why the heck do I feel like taking another gel?" and her saying "Take it, it will make the recovery a bit better".

But, the half I just did on Saturday? I took a gel half way through and was fine (cooler weather and was running with hubby at a slower pace).

This is probably why I'm such a *kitten* runner. No consistency with the long runs. I go by feel.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    edited April 2019

Why?!

I can and have ran fasted up to ~8 miles. Anything longer than that, I'll aim to have a bagel with peanut butter and a banana or toast with PB and a banana. I'm hit or miss on whether I take a fuel at mile 5 for a long run of 9 or more.

Exactly on the "remembering how to put on pants". Sometimes the fuels are for recovery. I ran a half last year and actually ended up taking 3 gels (don't ask me why, I felt the need to take one at mile 5, 10 and 11.5). It was HOT and I was running with a pace group. I remember saying "Why the heck do I feel like taking another gel?" and her saying "Take it, it will make the recovery a bit better".

But, the half I just did on Saturday? I took a gel half way through and was fine (cooler weather and was running with hubby at a slower pace).

This is probably why I'm such a *kitten* runner. No consistency with the long runs. I go by feel.

Literally, the one and only time I did 7+ miles without fuel, I sat in the locker room at the gym wondering if it would be OK to go home without wearing pants, because I wasn't quite sure I could figure out how to take my shorts off and put yoga pants on.

That was the moment I realized that even though I wasn't on my usual loop -- I usually fuel at 5 on the loop, if I'm doing multiple loops -- running 7 miles on a treadmill didn't mean I needed fuel any less.
  • Legs_McGee23
    Legs_McGee23 Posts: 114 Member

Why?!

I eat a lot of carbohydrates and technically I can (and have) run a half fasted and unfueled . . . but it is much more fun for me fueled.

I run all my halves without fuel (or water - but I don't live in a hot place) and I'm not hungry for a few hours after. My anti-fueling tendencies don't work well for a full though; I've run four and have yet to figure out what works best for me. Bonk!
  • littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 694 Member
    I always run better on a bowl of porridge at least an hour before.

Everyone has their own preference of course, but for me the answer is always porridge.
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member

Why?!

Why not? I do it. If I'm racing, I'll have a Clif bar and maybe a zero calorie Monster Energy Drink.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    i've found having a good carb-y snack right before bed really helps - like literally - sitting in bed and have a bowl of cereal right before (i also can't eat for at least an hour after waking up in the am because of one of my medicines)
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,488 Member

Why?!

Carb loading for a half? That seems quite unnecessary.

• TavistockToad
    7lenny7 wrote: »

Why?!

It's fun though! :laugh:
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member

Why?!

You've got it backwards. We don't carb load so we can run the half. We run the half so we can carb load!
  • TavistockToad
    DX2JX2 wrote: »

Why?!

You've got it backwards. We don't carb load so we can run the half. We run the half so we can carb load!

Correct! :drinker:
  • RunnerGirl238
    RunnerGirl238 Posts: 448 Member
    2-3 dates and a 1tbsp of almond butter, half a banana, 16 to 24 oz of water and a lot of coffee...45 minutes or so before the run

Espresso love Gu at 6 miles and 11 miles. I take in a lot of water/Gatorade during long runs.

The days before, i ramp up my carb in take- toast for breakfast with my normal eggs, dessert the night before....my pre race dinner meal is usually pizza.

My goal for next half is 2:10....so we shall see.

Everyone is different. The only think i know for sure is that grain based fuel does NOT help me for long runs. Experiment.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,488 Member

Why?!

Thank you, @DX2JX2 and @TavistockToad for correcting me. You are absolutely right, of course!

Is post-race carb loading ok? I've got a 50 mile race in 11 days and I don't think I can carb load sufficiently before the race so I'm thinking I should retroactively carb load that night and the next day.
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member

Thank you, @DX2JX2 and @TavistockToad for correcting me. You are absolutely right, of course!

Is post-race carb loading ok? I've got a 50 mile race in 11 days and I don't think I can carb load sufficiently before the race so I'm thinking I should retroactively carb load that night and the next day.

This is my preferred method, too. I find it easier to run without all that food weighing me down, but I am all in favor of replacing the stores once the race is run.

• DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member

Why?!

For 50 miles you can eat whatever the hell you want.
  • corriepelc
    corriepelc Posts: 2,088 Member
    I'm currently in training for my fifth half marathon, and every Saturday morning is my long run morning.

Unless I'm running more than 8 miles, I find I don't have to eat anything before I run. For runs longer than 8 miles, I eat three slices of Trader Joe's gluten free cinnamon raisin bread (I'm allergic to gluten) with butter and a sprinkle of real sugar. I find it gives me enough carbs and sugars to get me through the first 7-8 miles of the run. And then I fuel during the run/race with a GF Honey Stinger Waffle.

For half-marathons, I start to pre-fuel two days ahead of time. Two days before I'll start to slowly increase my carb intake. And the day before, I eat mainly carbs and have something very carb-heavy for dinner, like my husband's homemade GF pizza. :)

Like everyone said, everyone's bodies are different. You just have to find what works best for you through trial and error.