Oatmeal over cereal

Options
It's very interesting learning what's really not worth eating. I've been doing this for about a month now. Yesterday after lunch for some reason I wanted a bowl of cereal. A cup and a half of cereal and 1/2 a cup of milk. It fit in a tiny little bowl. It was almost 400 calories!! And not worth it. I ended up not having many calories left for dinner & went over for the first time. I just had a bowl of oatmeal with strawberries, a pat of butter and a littlr brown sugar. I feel very satisfied. Was under 300 calories and I have plenty of them left for dinner. I made brownies last night from a lo cal cookbook. There were 25 servings at 110 calories each - for one tiny liitle piece! I had one piece at breakfast time and I'm done. Just not worth the calories for what you're getting!

Replies

• RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    Same here. I don't limit the foods I eat but I generally gravitate towards certain foods because they help keep me full.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I satisfy my sweet tooth with diet soda.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I like to incorporate both in my diet. But i found if i preplan i can focus on a leaner dinner or a low cal volume dinner.

Also, how much is a pat of peanut butter? I ask because its extremely caloric and easily can make your oatmeal over 300 calories.
  • keenest37
    keenest37 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I said a pat but was actually a teaspoon's worth. 😊
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    If only oatmeal was satiating for me. I love it and I have at least two different kinds at home, but it is far from satiating.
  • nocgirl72
    nocgirl72 Posts: 139 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    I find cereal like Kashi go Lean and Oatmeal trigger massive cravings. I am no longer going to eat them while trying to lose. The serving of oatmeal is only 1/2 c hardly satisfying. I am better off loading up on protein and eating more food.

I agree on diet soda I do drink -2 a day big deal along with a ton of water. I am drinking a diet Sunkist right now with my lunch. I also drink sparkling water.

• hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Yeah. Cereal is usually pretty disappointing. I actually love oatmeal though and find it to be satisfying. I only like old fashioned though, cooked in milk if having it sweet and cooked in water if I'm having it savory. I hate those little packets of oatmeal.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I like to snack on dry cereal, but I agree that a bowlful for breakfast is a bit much
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    oatmeal satisfies me. Cereal is a trigger - I just can't with the 40g they say you should eat - that's like 2 bites. So cereal for me is half a box in one sitting. SAme as granola. So I opt for oatmeal.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    Try adding pbfit instead of regular peanut butter......
  • plbassriel4
    plbassriel4 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    hungry girl has a recipe for pumped-up growing oatmeal 224 cals. uses 1 cup of unsweetened vanilla almond milk, 1/2 cup old-fashioned oats, 1/4 tsp vanilla extract, 1/8 tsp. of cinnamon, dash of salt, 2 tbsp vanilla protein powder. combine first 5 ingredients, stir in 1 cup of water, boil then to simmer 12-15 min. stir protein powder in 3 tbsp of water, add to oatmeal let cool...5-10 min. I haven't tried it yet but sounds like a winner.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    psychod787 wrote: »
    Try adding pbfit instead of regular peanut butter......

Given that I don't like peanuts or PB I haven't and won't try that, but I have added various nuts and I've tried adding almond butter. I was still ravenous after the fact. I mean I do prefer oatmeal with hazelnuts in it, but I can't count on it keeping me satiated. It sucks because I love oatmeal.
  • vnylin
    vnylin Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I love overnight oats. 1/2 cup of oatmeal, 1 cup of unsweetened almond milk, 1 spoon of honey or maple syrup, 1 spoon of chia seeds. The rest is up to up. Toasted coconut, pb fit, some chopped nuts, fresh fruit, your pick. You can mix up the flavors of almond milk as well.

I make it in the evening and eat for breakfast. Piece of cake.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal is one of those weird foods - some people find it really filling and satisfying and others feel like they have to eat a ton and are still hungry soon after!

I find it quite filling, especially with a little PB in it. Cold cereal I eat as a treat rather than breakfast, so I'm not looking for it to fill me up (and it doesn't).
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    I like to incorporate both in my diet. But i found if i preplan i can focus on a leaner dinner or a low cal volume dinner.

Also, how much is a pat of peanut butter? I ask because its extremely caloric and easily can make your oatmeal over 300 calories.

They said butter, not peanut butter.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I love my Heritage Flakes cereal, mixed with Greek yogurt. A cup of this crunchy, fiber-rich cereal is 160 calories. Mixed with the yogurt it is a super-satisfying protein and fiber rich breakfast of 270 calories. Not sure what cereal you’re eating that is almost 400.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    I've been buying the unsugared puffed cereal (50-60 cals a cup) from whole foods and mixing that with berries and yoghurt. It makes a weirdly satisfying loose krispy treat sort of affair. If plain yoghurt, sprinkle on some sugar free pudding powder.

I did see a similar oatmeal recipe to the hungry girl one mentioned above, which has you whip up eggwhites and cook those in, for volume. Hoping my electric whisk is quiet enough not to wake my husband, who sleeps way later than me.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    psuLemon wrote: »

They said butter, not peanut butter.

They certainly did. Whoops.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,912 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Oatmeal is one of those weird foods - some people find it really filling and satisfying and others feel like they have to eat a ton and are still hungry soon after!

I find it quite filling, especially with a little PB in it. Cold cereal I eat as a treat rather than breakfast, so I'm not looking for it to fill me up (and it doesn't).

Ya, I tried all sorts of add ins to make it filling but in the end oatmeal just doesn't work for me as a breakfast. Sometimes I will have rolled oats "marinated" in yogurt with fruit for a bed time snack.

My winter breakfast this year has been rice and beans with cottage cheese or yogurt and a fried egg. I make a big batch of rice and beans on the weekend, keep 5 servings in the frig and freeze the rest.

Other years it's been scrambled eggs and veggies with a piece of sprouted grain bread from brands like Ezekial (bread from flour makes me sleepy.)