New to macros, needing help from a vet!

ello all! My name is Trevor I’ve been lifting for some time now but fee that I’ve been spinning wheels a bit so I’ve finally decided to start tracking my macros and see what opportunities I have. My currents stats are I’m 26yrs old 5’10 150 and about 12% body fat (also like walks on the beach). My ideal goal is to be at 155 and 10% body fat but understand that will take time. Does anyone have suggestions as far as a macro count? Or possibly a formula they like to use for certain goals ? I’ve reached out to two people in my area that comepete and they both left me on read so I’m hoping someone can help me out. Also sidebar question I understand how calorie and protein affect body composition but what about carbs and fats? Thanks in advance for any advice fit fam!

Replies

• jdog022
    jdog022 Posts: 694 Member
    edited April 2019
    Your not going to gain 5 pounds of muscle while losing 2% of body fat. You would probably need to bulk then cut

Calorie is king in a bulk. For the general lean bulk it’s 200-300 surplus from maintenance. Protein at .8-1. Fat .3 to .6 and carbs for the rest. Proven progressive overload program
  • trevorwillison1992
    trevorwillison1992 Posts: 3 Member
    Good advice, thank you! How high over goal weight should I aim for in weight before I start to cut back down to 155?
  • jdog022
    jdog022 Posts: 694 Member
    edited April 2019
    Under absolute perfect circumstances as a natural you can hope to gain at a 1:1 ratio. This assumes your not a ten year pro. So if you gain ten pounds then cut 5 maybe you would be there. It sounds so simple in practice but maybe shoot for 15 pounds over several months and then cut. Rinse and repeat Until your happy
  • MichaelK1007
    MichaelK1007 Posts: 136 Member
    jdog022 wrote: »
    Under absolute perfect circumstances as a natural you can hope to gain at a 1:1 ratio. This assumes your not a ten year pro. So if you gain ten pounds then cut 5 maybe you would be there. It sounds so simple in practice but maybe shoot for 15 pounds over several months and then cut. Rinse and repeat Until your happy

You make it sounds so easy, lol, gain 10 cut 5, repeat. It’s a slow and steady process for most people, but the goal would be to start every bulk/cut phase a little better then the previous.

As far as my Macros when bulking I am more like 1.5x protein, 2.5 carbs and .25 fats. On non training days I’ll cut the carbs in half and increase fats.