Building Flexibility

Options
I am losing weight through calorie counting and exercise. My exercise is a combo of cardio and weight training. I am cw is 207 and sw was 267. My flexibility sucks. When I am doing lunge exercise I barely can bend down. Any suggestions on how I can increase my lower body flexibility so that I can better benefit from my training. Not into yoga.

Replies

• jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    What type of level of flexibility are you trying to achieve? Are you striving to touch your toes? Get deeper lunges? Get a middle split? Get an over-split? If you're looking for basic flexibility, stretch regularly and it will come. I've read that 10 minutes of stretching every day, will help you get more flexible fairly quickly. If you're looking for extensive flexibility, you'll need to follow a program. I'm sure there are some online or youtube videos for you to follow for free? I know StretchIt is a good resource, but it does cost money. You might also want to look into classes around your area that are geared towards flexibility, but not necessarily yoga.

Make sure you're warm before you start stretching for flexibility. You don't want to pull anything.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,429 Member
    Options
    Stretching is helpful.

I got a lot more benefit when I started stretching every single day (even if only for a few minutes) vs. just a few times a week.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    rockyhi512 wrote: »
    When I am doing lunge exercise I barely can bend down.

You probably have tight hip flexor muscles, which is common, so try to do this stretch every 2-3 hours, daily.

Squatting is the other primary leg exercise requiring flexibility, and for that, try this deep squat stretch a few times a day. If you can't go all the way down, hold onto a rail or doorway while you go as deep as you can.

Post an update in 2 weeks :+1:
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    I have AO and have been stretching mornings for 20 yrs. I keep adding to my routine as I discover new moves and now do at least an hour 3 times a week. Yes, I started a yoga class and it changed my life, as did squats and strength training at the gym. I've been swimming + acquagym for 23 yrs. Why all this movement? Because doing all this, I can walk for hours all over the city with my husband on the weekends, and I can function the other days. You have to do things you like with people you like. There are so many ideas on this site and YouTube. Branch out and try new things.
    PS: Another idea to help get started with squats, as Cherimoose suggested, is to hang on to the back of a strong chair as you lower. At first, be careful and just go as far as you can comfortably. As you get better, go a little lower, and you can do away with the chair eventually--do everything new in increments.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Building strength in end range motion will help you lock in flexibility. For instance, after doing a forward fold, follow it up with hanging leg lifts or seated leg raise on the ground. Practice third world squats leaning against a wall to start with. I know you said you aren't into yoga, but Yin Yoga helped me achieve greater flexibility than anything else. I used to have to hold myself upright by putting my hands behind me in a straddle. Now I can almost completely pancake. Yin is amazingly relaxing and you can use all sorts of pillows and props to go just to the edge where YOU feel a stretch. All it is is just holding stretches for a long period of time so that you target the connective tissue.

You can also use weights to help you stretch. Like placing a kettlebell or plate behind your head to help you get lower in a pancake or stand on a bench and lower a plate towards the floor to lower you more in a forward fold.

I've had to fight hard for every bit of flexibility I have (and it isn't a lot). It's taken years, so don't give up and keep at it consistently.
  • endermako
    endermako Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    look up a full body stretching guide online and stretch in the morning and before bed and also after exercise. It really really helps! I also do active stretching before exercise as well, but it's probably overkill.
  • sammidelvecchio
    sammidelvecchio Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    If you are just trying to get deeper lunges or squats, I looked up stretches to be able to do the splits and it also helped me in those areas and overall hip flexibility.