For girls only: Burning calories during our period ?

Options
2»

Replies

• jbell77
    Options
    BAM , my body is right on track , idk what you fools have against it , so true! Coming from someone who doesn't have any painful period symptoms :D ... This routine described in link is how you should behttp://www.livestrong.com/article/295115-calories-burned-while-on-your-period/#page=4
  • spiffychick85
    spiffychick85 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I have always had an initial bloat during the beginning...but by day 4 Im down the bloat and then a little more...so Im burning extra calories somewhere along the line...Im surely not exercising them off during the first 3 days:laugh:
  • Pandora_King
    Options
    You need to eat more iron because of menstruation, but not necessarily more calories. And when you're having your period is not the time when the body's actually using iron to build up your uterus lining... that happens between day 14 and 28 (in an average cycle) - if there's any time you need more calories, it'll be then. But only marginally more (probably not more than a few calories a day if that), and iron is the more critical nutrient anyway.

A lot of women (including me) find that doing exercise while menstruating actually makes the pains less. If you haven't tried this to see if it works for you, give it a try. It doesn't work for everyone but you won't know if you don't try.

Yeah, I just double up on my womens one a day.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    thanks guys for all the advices :) so unfortunate that after all we don't burn more calories during these days!
    Talking about the pain my main problem is the lack of energy. I can feel the difference because when I have my period if I get up too quickly I feel dizzy and my blood pressure is lower than normal (and normally is very low). That's why I cannot exercise...I'm doing some yoga, it's better than nothing I guess and helps with the pain in my back. I remember while I was a teen I could barely notice when my period arrived I was moving around all the time. I don't know what changed now that I'm 28 but I just can't lift anything...in the morning I have troubles opening a new bottle of water, just to give you an idea :D

This really sounds like me a few months ago, including the low blood pressure. Right about then my doctor found out my hemoglobin was down. I had to get gastro tests for a possible bleed there (I have an ulcer), but it turns out it really was my period doing it! Well, that and not eating much iron and other irony sorts of issues with my meds, and drinking coffee when I eat (hurts iron absorption).

Some women don't get diagnosed until they need a transfusion! I had no idea I wouldn't know better that I was anemic, but there ya go. You might want to suggest your doc check it (and make him do it; I can't believe some docs let someone get to the point of needing a transfusion by not doing a simple test.)

I've been low on iron for literally years and my docs never mentioned it, btw. The ER didn't either. So don't assume all your levels are fine just because you never heard otherwise. Apparently that one doesn't always get mentioned to the patient. I wish it did; the megapills are awful on the stomach :(

My periods didn't strike me as heavy the way they talk pads per hour, btw. But they went on for a long time and clotting was always quite noticeable, which can mean 'heavy' even without soaking through pads.