Shirt that fits correctly

I have been strength training for a whike now. I have noticed my shirts don't fit right under my arms near the back. Is this a common problem? I wear a polo style shirt to work so if i go too big ot looks bad likecibam wearing a shirt that is too big. But one that looks good doesn't fit right in this area. Is there any advice or is this just a common problem when strength training?

Replies

• JohnnytotheB
    JohnnytotheB Posts: 361 Member
    I would have your shirts special ordered/tailored. It will only cost you a little more, but well worth the comfort.
  • slbbw
    slbbw Posts: 329 Member
    If your shirts are a regular cut, look for something in an athletic cut. you may need to size up, or not depending on the brand
  • Mbierschbach
    Mbierschbach Posts: 94 Member
    I have to have shirts tailored. I have full tattoo sleeves that aren't welcome in my professional office setting (boo) so I wear long sleeve dress shirts year round. I have to buy a 18" neck 34-35" sleeve in a slim fit and STILL get them tailored and I mean I get a 4-6" panel taken out of the sides. It essentially tapers the shirt to my waist so I don't look like I'm a 8 year old wearing dad's dress shirt. Apparently shirt manufacturers think if you have an 18" neck you automatically have a 46" waist.

Woe is me - bodybuilding problems. ;)

There's a fit out there for you, and a solution if you need to get some tailoring done. I spend $15/shirt at the tailor so be sure to buy a good quality shirt that's going to last you a while.
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    I experienced this too. I’ve done lots of pull-ups and heavy barbell work in the past which has made my back bigger and more muscular than other parts. This gave me a snug fit on the back which didn’t feel comfortable.

Having lost weight and body fat, problem solved. I’m guessing your snug fit is muscular development but also some extra fat that once chiseled, your shirts will fit better.

Hope you don’t find what I shared offensive, just sharing my experience and projecting it to what you shared.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Yes it's a common problem as you become more "Y-shaped" - especially from growth in lats for me.

Switch from a polo shirt which tends to be tailored fairly straight up and down to a short sleeved shirt that comes in many different fitting styles perhaps?
  • blackcomaro
    blackcomaro Posts: 796 Member
    Athletic cuts the go.
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    PIA...always read clothing features/descriptions esp. on the cut (athletic/fitted cut, "slim-fit", "extra slim fit", etc.). I generally find dress shirts of a cotton-spandex blend to be more forgiving (seems like there is never enough shoulder room, unless specifically an "athletic" cut; other cuts "conventional"/"normal" will use waaay too much fabric around the waist & fits like a tent.

Even more annoying are shirts that are too short...so few options for long length stuff although thankfully this is slowly turning into a weird fashion trend now (but ridiculously long shirts...><...bleh).