If I’m not hungry should I eat anyway?

Everything says I should eat 3 meals a day but if I’m not hungry for say breakfast ... should I force myself to eat anyway or just leave it

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    Lots of people here skip breakfast.

I don't have breakfast until I'm hungry. I work from home so can eat whenever I want, but should that ever change I would bring a smoothie to work and start it when I was hungry.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    The number of meals you eat is irrelevant. You can skip breakfast daily if you prefer it.

What is important is the overall number of calories you're consuming. If, over the course of an entire day, you're regularly not able to eat enough, that would be worth looking into.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    skip breakfast and have dessert after dinner instead. mmm. Calories are precious use them on whats worth it
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    You can skip any meal you want. As long as you don't end up under calories consistently, you should be fine.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    I start my day with coffee with heavy cream, so I'm not usually until 10-11am anyway. If you aren't hungry, don't eat. I don't really stick to traditional meal times, and just eat when I'm hungry. The only exception is dinner, and if we're all actually home, I do like to have a meal together (husband and 4 kids) so I might have a small plate to pick at if I'm not hungry, but even then, I don't force myself.
  • FinntheVeggie
    FinntheVeggie Posts: 74 Member
    You know your body best! I eat breakfast even when I'm not hungry because I know that skipping it tends to give me a stomachache and make me feel sluggish around 11am. And I can't bring food into the lab at work so snacking isn't an option, it's either food at 8am or wait until 12:30. So I make myself eat a banana or a little cup of yogurt with my tea. But if you don't feel any negative effects from skipping it, you shouldn't have to force yourself.

Yes, there's some research out there that suggests that skipping breakfast leads to less weight loss, but I'm pretty sure that's because of hunger-->overeating later in the day. So if you aren't doing that, why not?
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    There's nothing special about 3 meals a day. Our meal timing is largely based on social custom and tradition. Some people here eat 1 meal a day. Others eat 6. If you don't like to eat breakfast there's no reason you need to eat breakfast. It's just important to make sure that you are getting sufficient calories during your daily intake, so matter how many meals you eat.