Hate plans cos I get bored

Options
do any of you not plan workouts and how do you find it ????. I find it hard to follow a plan cos I get bored within a week off a following it...
I go in do what I want, if its rings,weights, calisthenics. I don't wright anything down...

Replies

• emmies_123
    emmies_123 Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I have a planned workout, but it isn't repetitive.

I started with a pre-planned 4 week HIIT that MFP sponsered. That one got boring after a few months, as there were a few standard workouts that repeated a lot. But it did let me learn what my strengths and limits were.

My current plan is one I made up myself using Jessica Smith youtube videos. It lasts 8 weeks, and is a split between cardio and strength, with Wednesdays reserved for pure stretching/flexibility/rest. None of the days repeat, so each day is something new. And by the time I finished my first cycle of 8 weeks I had forgotten what was coming up back in week 1.

If I was left to my own devices I would only do walking-based cardio. Which is better than nothing, but does not make me train my other muscles. I find a structured plan makes me work out muscles I wouldn't normally.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    I get bored easily too so I follow a workout program template that I switch every 4 weeks. So for example, I will do different hip thrust, deadlift/hip hinge, squat, press, pull etc. variations each month. Plus I sprinkle cardio in between... so different workout videos, tread climber, etc. I write everything down and track my progression since I have tried just doing random things, and for me, random things let to random (subpar) results.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    People will obviously say that it's better to follow a structured routine, but any exercise is better than not exercising. I find I get bored following a routine for a while as well, so sometimes I end up making up my own routine but following a sort of template (That way I'm still hitting the muscle/body groups that I want) I'm not really that concerned about "the results" though. I think it's good that I'm at least working my body and being healthy.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    One of the reasons I like New Rules of Lifting is that it gives you a wide variety of different workout templates, different rep ranges, etc and you select a movement based on the template...ie one exercise might be a hinge...so you just select from a variety of hinge movements...or a squat, and you can select a squat movement, etc.

Most of the templates you run for 4-6 weeks and then you can do another one and so on and so forth. All of them are 3x per week which is also nice and efficient.
  • Movemoreguy22
    Movemoreguy22 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I always try to hit certain movements with my excerises so knee, hinge, pull vertical and horizontal, push vertical and horizontal.

Today I didn't load my back up with weights due to abit of sciatica didnt want to cheese it off anymore. So me workout today was. Leg extension with weighted dips. Hamstring curls with weighted pull ups and final excerises was push ups with bar pullovers, I used horizontal rows just to finish off the reps on pullovers....

I prob get bored of this in a week or so, so I might end up doing some Olympic weights the following week who knows
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    " I find it hard to follow a plan cos I get bored within a week off a following it..." Perhaps the problem isn't with the plan but with your mindset.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    OP, after reading your posts I'm wondering: "Do you have any goals, and if so, what are they?"

I ask this because it seems that your boredom may stem from the fact that you're not working towards any particular outcome.

In my case, if I'm not working towards a goal (usually a race) my focus drifts and I can become bored. Having a goal motivates me to do the work in order to achieve that goal.
  • Movemoreguy22
    Movemoreguy22 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Er not really maybe a little size, abit of strength but I'm not really fussed. I see these big lads throwing weights around and I look at them and they look great but i that's not me. i can tell what day of the week it is but just watching cos their all doing the same stuff haha. I do weights/cables etc etc but i couldn't spend more than 2 weeks in there.