Feeling sick after every workout

almaz321
almaz321 Posts: 3 Member
I’ve been training with a personal trainer and I have been feeling nauseous and eventually vomiting after almost every session. Has anyone else experienced this? How can I prevent this. I want to enjoy working out but due to this it’s becoming more and more daunting.

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Have you had a wellness check with your doctor lately? Is exercise new for you?
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    i assume youll get alot of responses but ill just add a lesser known one, Is your gym multi leveled? Mine makes me pukey its underground so the air pressure in it im apparently sensitive to gets to me. Carry on to more likely answers...
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Speak with a doctor but also, if you haven't already, speak with your PT. They might be unwittingly pushing too hard for your current fitness level. Let them know so they can adjust the intensity of the session.
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    I mean, I would bring it up with your trainer considering they're responsible for the training intensity, and it's usually the culprit for post-activity nausea. Think of how marathon runners will vomit at the end of the race. It's literally from over-exertion. You might need to scale back on intensity, especially if, as L1zardQueen asked, exercise is new for you.

Exercise-induced nausea is almost always caused by poor conditioning combined with genetic pre-disposition. You can adjust your habits to effectively eliminate it, but this should be something your trainer should be more than capable of helping you manage and adjust for. It would likely require an altering of your training program.
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Another thing to consider is are you FEELING sick or are you just BEING sick? By this I mean besides than tossing your cookies how do you feel otherwise?

I ask this because I had a friend many years ago who would regularly throw up after exercise but other than being a bit icky (that's the medical term for it) he didn't have any negative side effects and just accepted that this was something that he was predisposed to.

He'd work out, have a little heave and go about his day.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,816 Member
    What have you been doing with your trainer? Do you feel exhausted during the workout, like you are pushing too hard? Or do you feel more or less okay during the workout and this only happens afterwards? About how long afterwards?
  • matrosov65
    matrosov65 Posts: 25 Member
    edited April 2019
    My experience most likely cause is overexertion. Not really a good thing in a context of average person getting healthy in a gym. Unless you are over eating and ove-rhydrating before your workout I'd say your PT might be loading you up with cookie cutter stuff from the get go vs customizing the routine to your fitness level. What are you doing with your personal trainer? Did he give you a general fitness test like run on a treadmill for me stop when you can't do some sit ups do some pushups that sort of stuff?
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 988 Member
    This happened to me once when I was training too hard too quickly. I was really out of shape.
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Was your trainer simply a gym employee...they are worthless. Its best to go with someone who is licensed and/or a degree who can judge and program for your specific needs.
    Someone who starts training you like your a prize fighter in a Rocky movie does not know what they are doing!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    Have you talked to your trainer? Personally, a good trainer should be able to tell if he/she is pushing a client too hard. They are there to give you a push, just not off a cliff.

When I started working with a trainer, he spent a couple sessions just doing an assessment of where I was and what my current fitness capabilities were and scaled my workouts accordingly building intensity and volume over time.