Smaller dinnerware.Tips!

Options
Nerys52
Nerys52 Posts: 86 Member
For the weight loss portion control I use dinnerware that is small size. I have an Arzberg low bowl that fits 1 cup 1/4 cup if filled to top.A breakfast plate instead of a dinner plate. I use that for small dinner. Small glass of 50 ml for juice, yoghurt. A 100 ml heatproof teaglass.
Small mini appetizer plates for small amounts of foods. Tapas plates.Demitasse cups, espresso cups I use for food because of their size. A good way to keep track is to get all the dinnerware items together and as the day proceeds and dishes diminish.

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,912 Member
    Options
    Yes, when I wasn't logging I found smaller dinner plates to be helpful as well. Now that I know I will be filled up by around 100 g each of a protein, starch, and veg I'm just using regular sized dinner plates. On the rare occasion I have cereal I do use the smallest bowls. And on the even rarer occasion that I have ice cream in the house and am not eating from the pint, I use the smallest dessert cups.
  • Dreamwa1ker
    Dreamwa1ker Posts: 196 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    I have also found that taking the time to nicely plate things also makes me feel more satisfied with what I'm going to eat in general. You do eat with your eyes first. I can be an emotional eater though which is how I gained weight, so maybe that is why things like this help me - they make me happy.
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I still use a large plate, because I don't like my food to touch (too much, barely touching is fine, mixing is bad). Just make sure there is adequate room around all the foods on a big plate and pretend you are neurotic about it... :wink:

Really though, I think there is merit to using smaller dishes, it helps with the mental aspect of correct portion sizes.
  • HereToLose50
    HereToLose50 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I measure my food so the plates/bowls I use may not matter in that regard and I know the food will make me feel full enough from experience BUT more appropriately sized dishes do seem to help me psychologically not feel deprived. Something about a small full bowl seems to mentally go over better than a big bowl that's only half full. It's like the big dishes are something that can make you feel like you didn't have enough even if you aren't still hungry.

I think it does have a way of tricking me into feeling like it's more even though I've weighed it all out and know exactly what I have. Putting the same food on a large plate makes me feel I'm eating a snack instead because there's so much empty space. I use larger plates and bowls for lots of greens/salads/roasted lower calorie veggies.

My latest discovery is using the smaller salad forks (?) instead of regular dinner forks. I can shovel some food in fast and this has helped me take smaller bites. Food lasts longer. 😉😊 Chopsticks are another good way to make me feel like I have a huge meal since it can be difficult to pick up very much of some foods. When I have more bites, I have *time* to realize I'm getting full.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,999 Member
    Options
    Yes I understand the smaller plate and meal looks like a proper meal despite being small thing.

Another mental thing that works for me is eating ice cream and desserts with a teaspoon.

I know it doesn't really change anything but just makes it easier to savour a treat by eating it more slowly.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    I dont do smaller bowls and plates because I am a volume eater, but I love to use mini forks and spoons. It makes it last longer.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    Yes I understand the smaller plate and meal looks like a proper meal despite being small thing.

Another mental thing that works for me is eating ice cream and desserts with a teaspoon.

I know it doesn't really change anything but just makes it easier to savour a treat by eating it more slowly.

I do the same thing. I use a mini fork and spoon for pretty much everything.
  • Dreamwa1ker
    Options

I like to eat ice cream out of a small mug/teacup!
  • avlucia
    avlucia Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I like using smaller plates too, but mainly because they are cute with my lil proper servings of food on them. Makes me eat more mindfully.

So cute. I think it also helps me eat slower too. I might try and find some cute dessert cups. There's something so endearing about a little plate filled up with my food.
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    I dont understand this concept. I mean it does not matter how much food you have on your plate, what matters is how many calories you have on that plate.

Yes I'm sure everyone knows that.

These tips about smaller plates, teaspoons etc are just tips to mentally make the portions look right, the meal last longer etc.

I'm sure nobody thinks the actual calorie content is changed.

I know what ppl are trying to achieve by eating from small plates with smaller poons etc. I just dont get why.

I think it's because there's a very strong mental/psychological influence around eating in general (just as a random example, we tend to eat more when we're with other people who are eating). It just helps stick to a calorie goal when your food looks visually bigger, even when it's just a mind trick. Might not be for everyone, but I feel the same way about it as many of the other posters.

On topic, I love using small spoons for everything and small plates and bowls for foods with small serving sizes (ice cream, cereal, etc.). My husband, like Tomek here, doesn't get it at all and refuses to use such tiny, irritating cutlery. :D
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I find it interesting that using smaller plates makes me feel like there is more food, but to a point. For example, I had a 1 cup bowl filled over the top with rice, and it looked pathetic. I had to put it into a 2 cup bowl and fluff it and spread it out because it felt like I was shortchanging myself. Using a 3 cup bowl makes the same amount look like nothing.

Same for glasses. I feel better when I pour myself 2/3 of 150ml glass of horchata than a pathetic looking 100 lm double-shot glass filled to the top. The same amount looks like I'm giving myself scraps if I have it in a 250 or 350 ml glass.
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options
    *kitten*..... if its all about not eating too much, stop using spoons, knifes and forks. Use chopsticks. This way you will eat much much slower and might make you eat less, unless you are Asian :) Also in this case, using huge plates will be better since you will have to "chase" your food around the plate :)

I do occasionally make use of chopsticks! But think of it in a different way; I've seen lots of pictures of your food here on MFP, and it's beautiful. Almost like art, very visually appealing. Does it make you feel satisfied to arrange your food in a way that looks good to you? If not, why do it? Using smaller bowls and spoons ends up having a similar effect, it's just visually and mentally satisfying. :)
  • Dreamwa1ker
    edited April 2019
    Options
    I dont understand this concept. I mean it does not matter how much food you have on your plate, what matters is how many calories you have on that plate.

It is a psychological trick. It's like I said in my previous post - I weighed everything I put on that plate. I rationally know exactly how much is on that plate, and that it IS enough to make me feel full and be satisfied. And that this is all that actually matters for calories in/calories out. But, being someone that gets kind of emotional about food, there is a mental game for myself too to prevent temptation to overeat, add to my plate, get seconds, etc.
    More appropriately sized dishes do seem to help me psychologically not feel deprived. Something about a small full bowl seems to mentally go over better than a big bowl that's only half full. It's like the big dishes are something that can make you feel like you didn't have enough even if you aren't still hungry.
    Same goes for plating things nicely so that I feel happier and more satisfied about whatever I'm eating, even without changing what's in the actual dish.

But, I also know some people who are very "food is fuel" and don't care or need to do these things. But I'm a foodie and have been watching cooking shows since I was a little kid - I have to play the mental games a bit with myself to get the most enjoyment out of things.

• ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    Options
    This is one reason why I have a whole bunch of different 'dip dishes'. Because what else would I plate my snacks onto?
  • Dreamwa1ker
    Options
    I LOVE these for dip/salsa/etc: https://www.corelle.com/product/livingware-winter-frost-white-6-oz-bowl?gclid=Cj0KCQjwkoDmBRCcARIsAG3xzl-w91m6uvKuFx4h4Fxds93zhPU5n6-I47aeQHiU5hXrOqhdthi1xhcaAomOEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

They are also very fun for putting all of your "mise en place" prepared/measured spices and things for when you cook, like on a cooking show. :-)
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,999 Member
    Options
    *kitten*..... if its all about not eating too much, stop using spoons, knifes and forks. Use chopsticks. This way you will eat much much slower and might make you eat less, unless you are Asian :) Also in this case, using huge plates will be better since you will have to "chase" your food around the plate :)

That wouldn't work for me.

Most of the food I eat like this is not chopstick suitable ( eg ice cream) and even when it is, my chopsticks skills are very poor

Sure, I want to eat more slowly but I also want to enjoy eating.