What life lessons has losing weight taught you?

Options
1235»

Replies

• vermontrebecca6929
    vermontrebecca6929 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Cutemesoon wrote: »
    I learned that losing weight does NOT automatically make you feel better about yourself. Whatever self-esteem issues were present before weight loss may still be present afterwards.

Not everyone will be happy with your weight loss. You will find out who your REAL friends are. You will also see a lot of jealousy.
    Cutemesoon wrote: »
    I learned that losing weight does NOT automatically make you feel better about yourself. Whatever self-esteem issues were present before weight loss may still be present afterwards.

Not everyone will be happy with your weight loss. You will find out who your REAL friends are. You will also see a lot of jealousy.

Yeah, a woman I thought was a best friend told me my thighs were starting to look TOO thin, AFTER I told her about my progress (btw my thighs are not too thin lol).

• vermontrebecca6929
    vermontrebecca6929 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    That we are stronger than we think.

That we are loved deeply by more people than we realize.

That it was easy for me to get used to how I felt when I was overweight/obese, and I couldn’t even envision or feel how it would be thin - despite getting there 4-6 times in my lifetime.

Thank all those other times I did Not need to be in a rush, nor limit myself to 1200 calories, nor limit fat...

That losing fast, unless one is lifting heavy, contributes to muscle loss, and a daily burn of fewer calories. I never thought I could lose 75 lbs walking daily & eating 2000-2100 calories at age 62. 5’8.5” over about 40 months.

That losing weight involves a lot of self-forgiveness & self-care/self-love/self-acceptance

That the things that made me stop losing in the past ended up not being so bad at goal weight: face looks great, skin is fine (not great) but certainly something I can handle now.

That in America, we are in a toxic food environment. I had to figure out how to see friends without food and train my family that I wouldn’t be eating in a restaurant, in part to control calories/track accurately & in part because I “register” what I’ve eaten much better when not eating in a Social situation.

Yes to toxic food environment. Unhealthy eating is not only normalized but promoted in every form of media, the diet & fitness industrial-complex, and the global food business. the more woke I get to this reality the sadder & madder I get that it is like this.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,477 Member
    Options
    Losing weight made me realize I had the control the entire time. Many people walk through life acting like victims. "I'm fat, I'm broke, I don't have the job and relationship I want..." We all can make choices to live the life we want..it just takes work.

What a lovely way to say it! Truth!!!

• romanwieczorek86
    romanwieczorek86 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Being greatfull for everything I have and time I get with my family /life/lifestyle balance.
  • jdizzle867
    jdizzle867 Posts: 0 Member
    Options
    I learned that living healthy becomes easier once you get the hang of it. I sacrificed my TV time at home for the gym and cooking, I honestly don't miss it. You start working out without completely dreading it and the food is tasty as long as you cook it that way.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!