Any Slow Weight Loss Success Stories?

Options
2»

Replies

• Sedna_51
    Sedna_51 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Oh man, this is such a relief to read. I've been on MFP just about 3 months and have lost about 5 pounds. I'm trying to lose very slowly, at a pace of about half a pound a week- my goal is to lose about 55 or 60 pounds over a 2 year period. I'm hoping slow gradual changes will make it easier for me to continue with a healthier lifestyle in the future. (also might give my skin more time to rebound- fingers crossed!) I try to start with small manageable goals, then once I've mastered them, move on. Right now I'm working on at least an hour of cardio exercise a week, in addition to the bodyweight training I've been doing.

Keep it up, everyone! This is a slow, steady push. As my wonderful friends remind me, we just have to keep doing what we're doing and the results will come.
  • james6998
    james6998 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    My wife is losing weight very slowly but I told her this and keep it in the back of your mind.

What is your hurry? This is now a lifestyle so what does it matter on how long it takes, not like you plan on stopping when you reach your goal :)<3

Currently wife is at -8lbs in 1 month, which works out to the suggested -2 a week.
    Btw i cant for the life of me get her on this board to help motivate her and support her, shes sort of strange that way.

Sometimes its the Quest or the journey that drives us. Reaching the end where you are no longer chasing numbers, you might be surprised how plain it feels. Also continue to improve your body. After all, no one is perfect.
  • Jesea
    Jesea Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I joined MFP in January of 2012, and am down 47 pounds, with 13 to go. I'm okay with that, because I have done a lot of living in the past 20 months! Times when I made good choices, and times when I've made not-so-good choices. I can run 3 miles now, and am stronger than before. Last month I went for a bike ride with my BFF, and she noticed how much more balanced and confident I am on my bike than I was last summer. So I've lost weight, but gained a lot more! I'll get to my ultimate goal weight, when I get there!
  • prairiewalker
    prairiewalker Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    .....keep it in the back of your mind.

What is your hurry? This is now a lifestyle so what does it matter on how long it takes, not like you plan on stopping when you reach your goal :)<3

Sometimes its the Quest or the journey that drives us. Reaching the end where you are no longer chasing numbers, you might be surprised how plain it feels. Also continue to improve your body. After all, no one is perfect.

wise advice..^ and I try to tell myself that all the time...I've been with MFP and very dedicated and very steady for a year now and it's very slow weight loss for me... I have hashimoto hypothyroidism and age as a factor so I've head to really be vigilent I'm working out 6 days a week and I'm very , very careful with lifestyle choices on food..I'm loving the new healthy me:flowerforyou:

..it's just my mental relationship with that darn scale. I need to divorce my scale and end the relationship once and for all..but it's hard, so very hard to let go...:sad:
  • hhen8
    hhen8 Posts: 2
    Options
    I consider myself a relatively "fit" person but have been in the "overweight" category for my height for a while now (160lbs @ 5'4") some of this can be attributed to muscle mass (got the quads and *kitten*, and have always had them) but I know some is the layer of fat, which is what I'm trying to get rid of. I'm not going for gigantic leaps and bounds, I know I probably won't ever be able to maintain @ 130lbs so my goal is 148. I just want to be under 150.

I joined in May, but didn't keep track on here in June and July because of a busy field season ( I study birds- long, early, hard days- not much time to log onto websites). I'm down 2 lbs. I've been concentrating mostly on watching my calories and running (some situps and pushups but I'm waiting to get into a good rhythm before I start strength-training again... like I said I've already got the muscles).

So here I sit- at 160. I've been weighing myself with all the running the past couple weeks (3-6 mile runs/4 times a week) but no change. It does look like I'm losing a little belly fat- which makes me feel sexier and goodness knows sex is a good workout too!

I'm concentrating on feeling good and getting in a rhythm, despite what the scale says- I feel good! :wink:
  • kewpiecyster
    kewpiecyster Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Well - it took me about 2 years to lose 75 pounds. I am now working to lose 48 pounds in one year (my goal is to be around 250 pounds by my Disney trip next august).

It was a very slow process for me, because I was not obsessing over everything. I made slow changes (less soda consumption, less candy, more movement, etc.) I had slip-ups. Started again, stopped again, etc.

I have been stuck maintaining the loss for the last 6 months...so that is why I joined MFP. I needed to up my game to continue my loss. I now am logging everything - and I started my exercise program again. I have already lost a couple pounds in the last week.

I know 48 pounds in a year's time is doable - because it is at a slow pace...really less than a pound a week expectation.

It is not a race - you just have to have the endurance to go the distance....and get back up when you fall down.
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    I don't really consider a lb a week slow. I lost 85 lbs in about 18 months. :bigsmile:
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    It took me five years to lose 60 pounds by just reducing stress and walking more, but I still had a pretty high BF (34%). The last 30+ lbs came off over the past two years by changing my eating habits and actually working out and my BF is now about 21%.

Slow and steady keeps it off!!! :smile:
  • sheleen302
    sheleen302 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Glad to hear you're all making it work. :) I've been here since late May and WAS enjoying taking the slower route. Been averaging a lb a week loss. But recently I had to cut calories even further to get the scale moving again and it's taking a toll on my body. Busting my butt for 1 lb a week is annoying sometimes. I want to lose 89 more lbs and would like to reach goal before I get gray hairs, lol.
    Yup, slow route definitely. My challenge this year has been trying to budge my weight loss/inches loss while heavy lifting and dealing with the hormonal fluctuations that happen as women age. I'm stronger than I have ever been, and seeing strength gains, but nothing else. I took a quick look at your diary, sure you've heard this before, but sodium really disguises weight loss, maybe lowering sodium intake rather than caloric would serve you better--at least you'd feel better!
  • Chemburly12
    Options
    It's taken me 11 months to lose 40 pounds. Like most people here, I'm okay with it. This isn't a diet. I'm learning how to eat for the rest of my life and that includes cake at birthday parties and popcorn at the movies. The important thing is that I feel healthy and even though I've got a ways to go I feel so much better about where I am compared to last year.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Me me me. I lost 20 pounds in one year and a half. Not really impressive but I still got there faster than those who quit.
  • daniellegwilliam
    daniellegwilliam Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    oh hello...

I lost 15lbs in the first 4 months. Jan 7 - May 7
    averaging about a lb a week. I have plateaud for these last 3.5 months, siand been fluctuating up and down the same damn 3 lbs

I get frustrated, but have to remind myself this is my lifestyle, im not going to quit. and this is maintanable FOREVER
    I eat ice cream and brocolli
    drink wine and water
    I work out and watch movies on my couch

GOOD LUCK...this is a marathon not a race :)
  • DiamondL88
    Options
    Oh my God I have exactly what your looking for, you should definitely check out smack fat they are a weight lost community that helps people lose weight through the ketogenic method.

For videos & more info take a look at smack fat fan page on Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/LoseWeightBeHappy88

Here's the Website link: http://goo.gl/IerPQr
  • strongmindstrongbody
    strongmindstrongbody Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    All your stories are encouraging, thanks!
  • james6998
    james6998 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I honestly believe its VERY important to point out the time it takes for weight loss. Sure with people searching though the site looking at before and after pictures ( addicted to for some reason i get a high from it) But honestly what is the first thing I and many others seek to find. HOW LONG DID IT TAKE? When you see someones progress wrapped up in 1 picture that might have taken a year give or take to achieve. Not really cluing in on how much work and effort that picture hides. Yes they look so much better, healthier and so on but to the person observing this, all of it happen at once. My wife might not be the type to log in everyday and track everything she eats. After all i do the cooking and measuring. But her attitude is right. She knows this is the life change and new people especially to the board have to accept that they will change their live, and everything that results in it will be positive. I never really thought i needed to lose weight. I was a powerlifter and always told people i lift because i love to eat. Its only when you start eating "Clean" you start to notice how much poison you have been putting into your body. My mind is so much more clear now and i have made my own attempt to find my long lost abs as my wife works on her quest to lose weight. No hurry but its an exciting journey.

YOU HAVE 2 ROADS IN LIFE. ONE LEADS BACK THE WAY YOU CAME, THE OTHER ONE LEADS TOWARDS YOUR FUTURE.
    not a famous quote, its one i created for my wife.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!