No more self-help books....

Options
kds10
kds10 Posts: 452 Member
edited April 2019 in Chit-Chat
As an adult, especially when I am going thru a period where I am not happy with a certain relationship, job situation, whatever, etc., I found I have tried to seek out self help books hoping that I will hear something that I don't already know.

Yet I have enough life experience, etc. to know what to do but I just often fail to implement. Often too I do not finish these books...start reading them and then lose interest. I think that I will hear something magical that will transform everything.

I heard today on the radio someone say that especially women tend to read a book instead of taking action and I thought that is so true.

Replies

• your_future_ex_wife
    your_future_ex_wife Posts: 4,278 Member
    Options
    It would be great if I would just follow the advice I’d give to a friend. I give great advice.

• SwannySez
    SwannySez Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    It would be great if I would just follow the advice I’d give to a friend. I give great advice.

Among other things...
  • NotSo_LittleRichard
    NotSo_LittleRichard Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    SwannySez wrote: »

Among other things...

go on
  • SwannySez
    Options

Among other things...

go on

giphy.gif
  • InkgirlKC
    InkgirlKC Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I see potential for funniness in this thread.
  • your_future_ex_wife
    Options
    I used to like to read books that contradict each other. Like, when my babies were babies I read attachment parenting books and Ferberizing books. I’m not saying that’s what messed up my decision-making abilities, but it didn’t help.
  • SwannySez
    Options
    I used to like to read books that contradict each other. Like, when my babies were babies I read attachment parenting books and Ferberizing books. I’m not saying that’s what messed up my decision-making abilities, but it didn’t help.

I think that if your kids choose the Furry Life themselves it's one thing, but trying to find a book to indoctrinate them into it?
  • your_future_ex_wife
    Options

I think that if your kids choose the Furry Life themselves it's one thing, but trying to find a book to indoctrinate them into it?

I did almost listen to a podcast about raising kink friendly kids but that was too much even for me.
  • pizzamyheart
    pizzamyheart Posts: 1,836 Member
    Options
    I enjoyed the book about vegetables and how to be more like them. I mean, how to like them more. Actually once I realized the correct title I quit reading it.
  • caco_ethes
    caco_ethes Posts: 11,962 Member
    Options
    Sometimes when i go i to a bookstore i ask the cashier for step-by-step instructions on how to find the self-help section
  • LiftingSpirits
    LiftingSpirits Posts: 2,207 Member
    Options
    Well for a great example.... we are all here reading forum posts and jacking around instead of taking action.....

But, I like self help stuff. Listen to some TED talks in the car or at work. You can't take action in the car, but you can listen to some motivational people giving good tips
  • amorfati601070
    amorfati601070 Posts: 2,862 Member
    Options
    This guy wrote the best self help book.

op6hqc3en2kg.jpeg
  • kam26001
    kam26001 Posts: 2,799 Member
    Options
    I hate when you're having small talk with someone and they find a way to sneak in their self-help book recommendations.

"So basically I'm gonna have to replace the worn out engine in my lawnmower before it..."
    "Oh--OH-- you know it's funny you say that because I just finished this book called The Power of Now and I think it could really help you out, man."

Uhhhhhhh... ok.
  • isalsayourface123
    isalsayourface123 Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    kam26001 wrote: »
    I hate when you're having small talk with someone and they find a way to sneak in their self-help book recommendations.

"So basically I'm gonna have to replace the worn out engine in my lawnmower before it..."
    "Oh--OH-- you know it's funny you say that because I just finished this book called The Power of Now and I think it could really help you out, man."

Uhhhhhhh... ok.

YouTube...I learned how to change my oil, brakes, carburetor and build a deck
  • pizzamyheart
    pizzamyheart Posts: 1,836 Member
    Options
    I learn a lot from you tube. For example, I can turn my toothbrush into a shiv in five minutes or less.
  • newmeadow
    newmeadow Posts: 1,295 Member
    Options
    Well do any men read Eckhart Tolle or the late Wayne Dyer because I don't think so.
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    Options
    I've always liked reading dictionaries, for all that I've read you'd think I could spell a *kitten* tonne better without Google's ever necessary assistance
  • CoffeeAndContour
    CoffeeAndContour Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    I like self help info in podcast form or audio book when I’m driving, or tidying the house. 12 Rules for Life by Dr Jordan Peterson is one I will recommend again and again and one of the few I have actually read and keep on hand. Reading self help books is like any other accomplishment though. You have got to want it. Reading the book isn’t enough. If you’re not ready, it won’t work.