Weight gain caused by anti-depressants

Options

Replies

• aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    snooks44 wrote: »
    I think for me Zoloft def. lowered my energy level. I’m always tired. I’m hoping with making better choices I’ll be able to lose the weight I gained. If you’ve never been on a psych med it’s super hard to just not eat. You’re always hungry and it like hunger pains. 😩

Honestly I gained both while on and not on psych meds. I tried over a dozen before realizing that meds weren't going to touch my depression (I suspect ketamine might help, but given that I'm hopefully going to grad school within a year and a half, I probably wouldn't be able to stay on it). I honestly don't remember any of the ones that I was on, Zoloft included, making me especially hungry. That said I'm also someone who will forget to eat when I'm especially depressed. Think the, "I'm not able to get out of bed" sort of episode.

edit: Let me be clear, I'm talking about the legal use of ketamine to treat depression. One of my previous psychiatrists, who worked at teaching hospital, and I discussed that I would have probably been eligible for a clinical trial.
  • rickiimarieee
    rickiimarieee Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    Also with the increase of appetite with it, you don’t need medicine to decrease your appetite. It’s called self control. Plus there’s things you can do to help yourself from snacking. Drink more water, brush your teeth, have a small healthy snack, eat something high in fats or protein (tends to fill you up more), keep yourself busy, or just tell yourself “no.” I know it’s hard but if you want this, gotta have the self control to do so!

Generally, exerting self-control takes a certain amount of mental resources that tend to be low in depression. Far better to find strategies that don't rely on what is an unreliable resource.
    Brushing one's teeth to avoid eating is usually associated with anorexic behavior.

I don’t see how that’s associated with anorexic behavior I can see if it is to avoid eating ALL together but to avoid snacking, I think it’s a great option so you don’t go over calories.
  • rickiimarieee
    Options
    yayamom3 wrote: »
    Also with the increase of appetite with it, you don’t need medicine to decrease your appetite. It’s called self control. Plus there’s things you can do to help yourself from snacking. Drink more water, brush your teeth, have a small healthy snack, eat something high in fats or protein (tends to fill you up more), keep yourself busy, or just tell yourself “no.” I know it’s hard but if you want this, gotta have the self control to do so!

Generally, exerting self-control takes a certain amount of mental resources that tend to be low in depression. Far better to find strategies that don't rely on what is an unreliable resource.
    Brushing one's teeth to avoid eating is usually associated with anorexic behavior.

Be careful making broad statements like that. I use this strategy every night to avoid nighttime snacking and I know many other people who use this same strategy. I am not and have never had any type of anorexic behavior.

Exactly!
  • rickiimarieee
    Options
    yayamom3 wrote: »

Be careful making broad statements like that. I use this strategy every night to avoid nighttime snacking and I know many other people who use this same strategy. I am not and have never had any type of anorexic behavior.

This. I do it for the same reason and I have never suffered from anorexia. I’m also a fan of minty breath vs tasting what I just ate all evening long.

Yes!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,905 Member
    Options
    snooks44 wrote: »
    I think for me Zoloft def. lowered my energy level. I’m always tired. I’m hoping with making better choices I’ll be able to lose the weight I gained. If you’ve never been on a psych med it’s super hard to just not eat. You’re always hungry and it like hunger pains. 😩

Lots of AD's besides Zoloft. Talk to your doctor.
  • Coffee0ooYummy
    Coffee0ooYummy Posts: 30 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    " wrote:

If you read my first post you will see i said you try all the things you mentioned.... except the brushing your teeth bit ...

And the self control eventually goes out the door. You can only take so much especially when you're depressed. I'd tell you to try it but I wouldn't wish that on anyone....

• gaelicstorm
    gaelicstorm Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I've taken Zoloft, Effexor, and now take Lexapro. Zoloft was not a good fit for me. Effexor had nasty withdrawal side effects. Lexapro is a good fit for me. None of these caused me to gain weight. I've been on Lexapro for about 18 months now and am down 41 lbs. I also have diabetes, Hashimoto's, and vitiligo. I take 5 medications daily to manage my autoimmune conditions and associated symptoms.

It does come down to tracking your calories. Many people can gain weight because feeling less depressed or less anxious can lead to people eating more (more socializing, less time in bed, more energy to getting food/making meals).

No one here is judging anyone. Living with depression and anxiety is horrid. Meds can also make us feel icky and yes, some medications do increase hunger, leading us to consume too many calories.

Maybe investigate another medication. Weight gain could cause you to become depressed, so maybe your med just isn't the right fit. There are so many to choose from. I hope you find something that helps you to feel more like yourself without any undesirable side-effects. I've been through 3 different medications before finding something that jives with my body.
  • rickiimarieee
    Options
    " wrote:

If you read my first post you will see i said you try all the things you mentioned.... except the brushing your teeth bit ...

And the self control eventually goes out the door. You can only take so much especially when you're depressed. I'd tell you to try it but I wouldn't wish that on anyone....

I have depression and anxiety, trust me I know all about it but if you want something bad enough, you can do it regardless of what stands in the way. At least that’s the way it is for me. Depression affects my daily life and my enjoyment in things but when I want something I do it. But my Zoloft definitely helps.
  • rickiimarieee
    Options
    aokoye wrote: »
    aokoye wrote: »
    Just an FYI, a lot of people here have a history of being on antidepressants (among other meds). It's not really the best to just assume someone has no experience with something when you have no basis for that assumption. Even if you do have some basis, assumptions are just that.

Lol tell that to the one who judged her....

I've been on meds since I was 14.... I'm 46 now. I would never ask someone that question.....

Get real
    You mean the one who made my point pretty elegantly by noting that a. she has bipolar b. she has experience taking Zoloft and c. she's on a number of different psychotropic medications? Again, that's some assuming you did, some really impressively inaccurate assuming.

Whether you like it or not, weight loss and gain comes down to how many calories you're consuming vs how many calories you're burning. It is only logical to ask the OP if she was tracking her calories while on Zoloft because how else would she have gained weight (not water weight) other than eating more calories than she burned? If you think that's judging then I'm not sure what to say other than maybe pointing to a dictionary definition of the verb "to judge".

While it might seem to you like you're some sort of unique person by having been on meds for the bulk of your life, I can assure you, you aren't. I wish I could say otherwise.

Signed,
    One of the many forum members who deals with chronic mental health issues

YES, speak the truth!
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    kami3006 wrote: »
    kbmnurse1 wrote: »
    So many medications have the side effect of weight gain. I would try to avoid medication at all cost. I take no meds, supplements or vitamins. I am a healthy female in my late 50's. My goals to stay in my size 10. This size is realistic for me.

Side effects are a very small price to pay when the alternative for me would be that I'm dead.

It's not as though people with depression are taking those meds recreationally. It's one thing to encourage various avenues of treatment, but meds are lifesavers for many and I can't imagine why anyone would feel the need to make vulnerable people feel shamed for trying to survive.

I agree with this. If I weren’t on my meds, I definitely wouldn’t know where I’d be. I definitely wouldn’t be where I’m at now and definitely not in a good place in my life.

I'm always happy to see when someone is able to find a way to function though the grips of depression.