Runners...best shoes?

Options
2»

Replies

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Go to a running store for your first pair of shoes. Ask questions. My experience with a running store wasn't that great. The guy seemed rushed, put three options in front of my wife and I (after watching her and I's gait) and said, "choose from these". The one my wife picked out wasn't large enough in the toebox for her (none of them were). $125 for a shoe she couldn't wear.

This was from the "number one Running store in the US" multiple times.

Once you understand if you're a neutral runner, overpronate or underpronate, it's not rocket science. You can tell that most of the time by looking at old pairs of shoes and how they wore. If your inside of your soles wear faster, you overpronate. If the outside, you suprinate. If evenly, you're neutral. That's all the guy in the shoe store looks for. That will be double price now!

Once I understood how I ran/walked, online reviews helped me so much more than the local shoe store. But you need to first know what your style of running or walking is. A shoe store can confirm that. Oh, and if you have flat arches (look for water marks in the middle when your feet are wet on concrete), you need a "supportive" shoe. If you have good arches, less support.

I'm 50/50 in agreement here. The local running stores near me have absolutely nothing I want to run in. Or I haven't found the one that sells anything minimal, yet. I found shoes I love by comparing reviews online. They're discontinued, and I'm having to go through the whole process again to find something else - I'm not too unhappy with the Prio by Xero. I have fairly flat feet, and I've been told I overpronate. I have taken it under advisement, but I'm still not comfortable using cushioned shoes to correct either condition. I do not like New Balance or Brooks. They are both narrower in the toe than I would prefer. I'd try a men's shoe, but I take a 6.5 women's, so they don't tend to make them small enough. Apparently, kids are supposed to grow into adult sizes before they start taking running seriously, so that's out, too - but I bet they'd have more fun colors.

I feel you - every running store by me seems to be all about hokas and I’m like tried and no thanks...I found mine through one of those online shoe recommendation websites and love them - Topo Athletic - I can’t buy in stores near me but so worth them
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    I own over 35 pairs of running shoes, and just about every brand.

Nike
    Brooks
    New Balance
    Adidas
    Saucony
    Altra
    Hoka
    On
    Merrell
    Xero
    Vivobarefoot
    Lem
    Newton
    Skechers

You name it.

Lately I've been leaning more toward the minimalist and barefoot shoes, because they kinda force me to run softer and with better form. If I am not running correctly I know it pretty much right away, and my brain automatically makes my body adjust my form.

I can run over 13 miles in regular running shoes, and am up to about 3 miles in barefoot running shoes so far.

I recommend getting a good pair of neutral running shoes that are flexible, have little to no arch support, and are low or even zero drop. If you insist on cushioning, I would recommend minimum cushioning.

This will allow your feet to do what they are supposed to do and will make them stronger. It will also help with your running form and posture as well.

I do NOT recommend just getting a pair of these type of shoes and going right out and running what you normally run. You basically have to start from pretty much scratch, and it may take a year or more to adjust fully, but I would be willing to bet it would improve your form and prevent running injuries if done properly.

JMHO though.

Altra Escalante would be a great start for you I think.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Go to a running store for your first pair of shoes. Ask questions. My experience with a running store wasn't that great. The guy seemed rushed, put three options in front of my wife and I (after watching her and I's gait) and said, "choose from these". The one my wife picked out wasn't large enough in the toebox for her (none of them were). $125 for a shoe she couldn't wear.

This was from the "number one Running store in the US" multiple times.

Once you understand if you're a neutral runner, overpronate or underpronate, it's not rocket science. You can tell that most of the time by looking at old pairs of shoes and how they wore. If your inside of your soles wear faster, you overpronate. If the outside, you suprinate. If evenly, you're neutral. That's all the guy in the shoe store looks for. That will be double price now!

Once I understood how I ran/walked, online reviews helped me so much more than the local shoe store. But you need to first know what your style of running or walking is. A shoe store can confirm that. Oh, and if you have flat arches (look for water marks in the middle when your feet are wet on concrete), you need a "supportive" shoe. If you have good arches, less support.

I'm 50/50 in agreement here. The local running stores near me have absolutely nothing I want to run in. Or I haven't found the one that sells anything minimal, yet. I found shoes I love by comparing reviews online. They're discontinued, and I'm having to go through the whole process again to find something else - I'm not too unhappy with the Prio by Xero. I have fairly flat feet, and I've been told I overpronate. I have taken it under advisement, but I'm still not comfortable using cushioned shoes to correct either condition. I do not like New Balance or Brooks. They are both narrower in the toe than I would prefer. I'd try a men's shoe, but I take a 6.5 women's, so they don't tend to make them small enough. Apparently, kids are supposed to grow into adult sizes before they start taking running seriously, so that's out, too - but I bet they'd have more fun colors.

I feel you - every running store by me seems to be all about hokas and I’m like tried and no thanks...I found mine through one of those online shoe recommendation websites and love them - Topo Athletic - I can’t buy in stores near me but so worth them

Topo is based about 20 miles from me in eastern Mass (Framingham specifically). I know my LRS carries them but that doesn't help you 😉
  • Lolinloggen
    Lolinloggen Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    It is totally a personal choice. I'm Mizuno all the way but that is only because I started with them an I like them. So I just buy the same shoe over and over again On my fourth pair now.
  • restlessleukocyte
    restlessleukocyte Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Saucony. I’m loving the Freedom ISO right now, and also loving how the $140 pair I bought last year are now $50 and I’m going to buy like...all the pairs. It’s a lightweight, neutral shoe that feels like my feet are in clouds, despite not having much cushion.

I also liked Asics but that was a long time ago, I don’t know about now. New Balance treats me better on trails or terrain where I want more support than the Sauconys.

All the Nike shoes I’ve ever tried have given me horrible pain in my feet, my knees, my shins. Just something about them, I think they make me roll my ankles inwards or something, and I’ve learned I need a very small heel drop.

But, I don’t think this discussion will be too useful for you - the best you can do is pick shoes that feel the most comfortable to you. I’d recommend a running shop with a good return policy, so that if you try them and go for some short runs and find out they definitely won’t work, you can take them back. Don’t overanalyze it. Your strike, pronation, whatever else they can tell you about aren’t nearly as important as how the shoe feels on your foot.