PSA For Gym Idiots: Check the Default Weight on Machines!

Options
So this is something I just noticed today, and it kind of blew my mind. Some machines, especially leg machines, have extraordinary default weights. I've been undercounting my legpress by 136 pounds. I thought the stupid sled would have been like 20 pounds, but 136???

I was certainly amused. After I was confused.

Just thought I'd share these shenanigans to get it out of my system hahaha

Replies

• SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    136lb is a lot! The one at our gym is 45lb...same as the standard BB without any weight added
  • Spadesheart
    Spadesheart Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    SCoil123 wrote: »
    136lb is a lot! The one at our gym is 45lb...same as the standard BB without any weight added

Yeah I read the stupid thing like 4 times. It is indeed 136 pounds, or 60 kg. I mean, its a nice surprise, but it seems like thats an insane starting weight.

I'd upload the picture but the my fitness Pal app is rubbish and super buggy so it won't let me on the forums.
  • shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it can be a good thing because you don't beat yourself psychologically.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    So this is something I just noticed today, and it kind of blew my mind. Some machines, especially leg machines, have extraordinary default weights. I've been undercounting my legpress by 136 pounds. I thought the stupid sled would have been like 20 pounds, but 136???

I was certainly amused. After I was confused.

Just thought I'd share these shenanigans to get it out of my system hahaha

Who cares how much you leg press unless you want to stroke you ego. Put enough weight on it challenge you for the selected number of reps and go on your way.

All models of leg press will be somewhat different in the resistance provided so you can't use the information to know exactly how much weight to put on a machine at a different gym. Also the positioning of the seat makes a big difference. Pull the seat all the way forward and see how much you can lift, then push it all the way back.

Weight of the "mechanism" is mainly irrelevant as to the absolute weight moved. The only time the resistance of the empty "sled" is important would be for a person who was very weak and couldn't safely use the piece of equipment with the minimum load.